Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I watched the first episode and it's very good, but I kinda want a version of the show where Gridman is all in Yuta's head and it teaches him confidence or something.

Some of the shots are really cool. That image of the kaiju over the foggy city was really striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Okay, after watching the episode and seeing the spoilered comments here - is this actually a sequel to the live action series or not? I'm confused.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm asking because I've seen stuff saying it has no relation to the original storyline. So now I'm confused and I'm wondering if I need to go watch the original to understand what's happening in this show. I hope it isn't because I have no time or inclination to do so but I don't want to be totally lost down the line.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Wow, this episode was wild as hell. Definitely took me for a ride for a bit but it's definitely set up an interesting player in the game.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Akane seems pretty hosed up, what with her hitting on Anti in the diner. I don't think I want an especially deep motivation from her, but having her backstory for how she ended up that way would be good. Was she always a lonely trash girl until the smooth-talking computer man showed up?

It'd also be neat if the heroes could figure it out and help her somehow.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Nice to see Yuta finally express an emotion. Also, I can't believe "turn it off and on again" is a viable problem-solver now!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

why does the show keep focusing on Akane's feet

Questions like these don't help the Gridman Alliance!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Gridman_email.exe

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This episode sucked for a hard six minutes at the start. Definitely needed a long, lingering shot of an underage girl in a bikini ten seconds in, folks.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That theory is worse than the usual theories in this thread.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Wark Say posted:

:agreed: Let's go back to "Show is currently lowkey Akane vs Rikka" theories.

I think I'd like this theory more if Akane hadn't explicitly failed to get to Yuta through Rikka last episode, but I definitely want to see more of them interacting. I'm also waiting for the big moment where Akane reveals herself or slips up somehow and the Gridman Gang learn she's behind the kaiju, but that won't be until, like, episode nine probably.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Calibur is most clearly "alien in a human body" and he's trying his best. It's very endearing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This just makes my confusion about the series worse. I can't follow what Rikka's thought process is or why she cares about Akane. I like that she takes Anti in, though. I also like tiny kaiju girl and the implication that Kaiju have multiple roles. I hope we just get the relationship and backstory spelled out eventually because I am a moron.

I like that this anime isn't afraid to be quiet but I don't know if I'm enjoying the overall effect.

E: also, it's looking like this IS a sequel to the original show - Kaiju girl is the daughter of Anoshiras, a monster from the original show. gently caress.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 10, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I mean they might not ever bring in stuff from the original show or make it so that you don't need to know any more details, but at this point I feel like I've been told "oh yeah you don't need to know poo poo about the old show" and now suddenly I do because there's legacy stuff or direct sequels going on. It's frustrating because I like this show on its own merits and I don't want to have to go look any of that up. I would much rather it be self-contained.

I suppose we still have six more episodes to go to see if the show develops one way or the other.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Reducing the anime to "it was all a dream" is some TV Tropes level reading, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Oh no, I comprehend what you're writing. It just sucks poo poo because it's an empty easy reading that every entry-level nerd can do. Just because you wrote more posts about it doesn't mean it was any more thought out.