Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Decided to check this out after being made curious because it referenced Heroes of the Storm.

Akane is a wonderful character. :allears:

Larryb posted:

Rikka and Akane definitely have some sort of connection (otherwise why would they put them together in the ED?) which will be interesting to see explored further. From some of her dialogue when talking with him in this episode it seems she might possibly know who Yuta really is as well.

But yeah, I kind of like Akane as a villain so far (she's a sociopath but at the same time there are hints that there might be a few more layers to her underneath).

Villains that are just evil for the lulz are extremely hard to make interesting (I can count the ones I think are good on one hand), so here's hoping.

Ranzear posted:

And the underlying premise is just :stonk:

I forget where I posted about this possibly involving kaiju battles with collateral damage, but it got even more sinister in a hurry.

You should watch Bokurano.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's been too long, what did he want?

Schwarzwald posted:

Her targeting the teacher and treatment of Anti suggest she's acting out of some sense of ressentiment more than a "for the lulz" general glee for evil.

It's been too soon since DitF for me to get burned over reading into a kaiju show again. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if the peer into her personal life was supposed to be more "ha what a loser" or a more sympathetic kind of pathetic.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something neat I saw on the Heroes of the Storm subreddit:

There's a bunch of Heroes of the Storm cameos in it, for some reason.

You can see:

http://heroesofthestorm.wikia.com/wiki/Pajamathur Pajamathur
https://heroesofthestorm.gamepedia.com/Zagara Zagara
https://heroesofthestorm.gamepedia.com/Stitches

And a few other characters.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
On one hand that's cool, on the other I feel like Akane having any actual friends is weird. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, I do think we don't quite have everything to understand her yet. I feel there's more to her, and she's probably the most interesting character right now.

Well, yeah, I'd hope not. Finding out what her deal is is the primary draw for me right now.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd prefer something I like to end when it's intended to instead of becoming a soulless zombie, but I'd be happy if there's more after. It sort of depends on how they decide to wrap things up. If everything is in the Matrix (which would sort of fit with how the damage wasn't physical in the old series) and that gets unplugged, then there's not much more to be seen.

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

why does the show keep focusing on Akane's feet

:iiam:

Wark Say posted:

His partner is a teen who appears to have a giant chip in her shoulder. Maybe he's like "Jaaackpooot" :dance: as far as he's concerned.

Alexis has a fetish for being stomped on by a cute girl. :ms:

Lurking Haro posted:

Fetish or something about her character.
It appears as if Akane isn't really part of the class. The class photo in the OP doesn't feature her, at least not how she looks now.
Everything is also hinting at the Gridman Alliance having to save her.
The lyrics when the Gridman blows the windows up are "I've come to save you from boredom".
So Akane might have been a hikikomori or physically frail girl.

The first one fits more with the idea of her getting revenge for petty slights via murder and flipping out on Anti when he fails at it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Condiv posted:

it feels like he's encouraging and nourishing her antisocial tendencies. to what end i can't say, but it feels to me like he's making her worse and worse

Seems self-evident enough. If she started being better adjusted she might stop making monsters for him to zap into existence, as opposed to making progressively more deranged ones.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Squidster posted:

My prediction: before the show began, Akane confessed to Yuta. He rejected her for Rikka, and she killed him via Kaiju. Then she rebuilt a perfect version of him to be her matrix husbando. The reason he can merge with Gridman is because he's a fake, just like the creatures he fights.

It kind of makes sense that Rikka would want to be friends with Akane, but Akane no longer wants to be friends with Rikka if that were the case.

On the other hand, what exactly is up with the world in the first place? And how does Khan play into it?

Shameful.

Didn't Akira Akemiya say he wished he could have made Rikka thiccer? :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 31, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sindai posted:

Also at first I thought the ending was kaiju boy digging himself out of the rubble, but I guess it was actually the whole area being unloaded now that it's no longer needed? RIP river rafting guides.

That sounds extremely likely. :stare:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Oh my god Yuta's shirt saying CJ as in CliffJumper. :allears:

I haven't enjoyed an anime this much in a long time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dessel posted:

Show is still good but I can't be the only one starting to want the supporting cast (Who am I kidding, I mean Rikka) to have some more agency in the show.

I'll be disappointed if this isn't the Rikka and Akane show by the end.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wark Say posted:

:agreed: Let's go back to "Show is currently lowkey Akane vs Rikka" theories.

Akane is cuter. Even Rikka thinks so!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
We're only half way in so there's still time for this to pull a Darling in the Franxx but oh god please don't pull a darling in the franxx.

e: I would play the heck out of a Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee type game.

ee: City Shrouded In Shadows DLC would even be acceptable.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 11, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The biggest things that let me down about Franxx were that

Rand Brittain posted:

My impression of Franxx was that it really wanted to talk about gender but had absolutely no valuable ideas about that subject.

as well as how it built up this really intriguing backstory and then felt the need to go into detail about it which ruined all the mystery and replaced it with some completely stupid explanation. Sometimes it's better to leave things to the imagination.

dogsicle posted:

I'm not sure what it would be able to do to even earn that comparison at this point. just let shows exist

It is also a trigger made show about fighting giant kaiju that has an air of mystery about things early on and is generally pretty good.

Its just the typical "man I hope that this doesn't completely fumble the ending" feeling.

CrashScreen posted:

What did it do with the subject instead?

Nothing. It did nothing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Considering the reveals of episode 6, now that I think about it, why doesn't Akane just send like 30 kaiju at Yuta at once just to take him out for sure?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Logicblade posted:

Oh, I have zero faith that this show will deliver on any sort of promise for a satisfying ending, but at this point I don't care and I am just watching for the kaiju fights, mecha anime callbacks, and the nice legs. If it does do something neat with the plot, I'd be down, but I'll enjoy this either way I'm sure.

I'm mostly watching it because I want to know what goes down. I'm not really a big fan of mecha anime or kaiju. :v:

Spiritus Nox posted:

I know about Akane's nameless background friends apparently being the main characters from a Yuri novella the director wrote a while back. Anything else?

The podcast guys were based off of an actual Japanese podcast, I think.

There's something vaguely ironic about a show as full of shoutouts as this having been aggressively anti-fanwork as it is/was. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I want Akane and Rikka to kiss

hell

yes

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, that's a fair assessment. It's the nice thing that this anime has a ton of little character moments showing up. Like Max being a good big bro wrt his associates(which is funny taking into account Konishi is voicing him). :3:

:3:

Rand Brittain posted:

Akane doesn't really seem to have any problem-solving mechanisms that don't involve kaiju.

Kaiju can't take out the trash, so, uh, she just doesn't take out the trash, ever. Kaiju can't fix your cracked phone screen (although apparently they can fix buildings???) so there's no point in worrying about it. There's no point in communicating with other people — either they're exactly how you want them, or you have a kaiju murder them.

It's frankly amazing she can get dressed in the morning.

I sort of assumed that she doesn't change, she just waits for the world to reset.

The true reason to inflict kaiju death on people: Not having to shower.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 15, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Here you go. They're only a couple of short sentences each, and pretty vague, but remember, kids, these are spoilers for future episodes.

That implies Alexis is behind this all, but I wonder when we'll find out what the deal with the virutal world is since that's not in any summary.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a bit more complicated than your standard abuse metaphor, though, because this is literally Akane's fantasy world. This whole show is taking place inside her head. What she's saying isn't just about Rikka, it's about the world she felt the need to create for herself. Makes you wonder if the NPCs self-actualising and developing their own lives without her is just a manifestation of her apocalyptic self-loathing. How much of Rikka is Akane?

I feel like Rikka's based off a real person who used to be Akane's friend and hates her now, or something.

Where can I get this, because I need it.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 25, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This is :tinfoil: but is the only time that Rikka expresses attraction to Akane in the audio drama?

:tinfoil: What if that is the "real world" people talking, and the show is the cyberspace versions?!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The thing this is reminding me the most of is Anodyne (the game, not the drug) of all things, with the question of how many layers of dream inception are going on.

TheFireMagi posted:

Just the first couple minutes had me very confused, and then very tense as I realized what was going on. Very good episode.

also anti continues to be the most powerful, watching him hop around was the best thing

The first 5 minutes had me confused, tense, and now kind of sad.

Like maybe Akane's pulling something devious (haven't finished the episode yet), but the part where she claimed she and yuta were dating came off as just really, really pathetic. She really does seem to be grasping out for some kind of emotional connection.

I also found it kind of interesting how she completely disregarded Utsumi mentioning he was at a relative's memorial service. In light of other things, it feels less like not caring and more not realizing most people would say something like "I'm sorry to hear that".

Artum posted:

The distant honk of cars every time he landed between jumps killed me.

That and Alexis just showing up as Akane's caretaker were probably two of the funniest moments in this entire show.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 2, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
While there's no helping someone who won't help themselves, the fact that the gridman alliance basically just left with a couple of parting words is kinda sad.

Yak of Wrath posted:

Yeah, Akane is so desperately alone and without any connection to people, she has no family (except in the dream when she briefly imitated Rikka). She created her Kaiju world where even was to like her, and she could erase anything that went "wrong". Then she made the dream within the dream, where the gridman alliance loved her. She doesn't want them to need her so much as she needs them. And Alexis certainly doesn't have her best interests at heart, keeping her isolated and angry brings out the best of kaiju after all.

I'm really interested in finding out what might be up with her real world family - Assuming there is a real world to have a family in, that is. Are they all dead or do they just not care, or what?

Speaking of imitating Rikka, I wonder if she did that because she thought she might be more likable like that.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyway I just rewatched it and, man, what a stunner. I liked Little Witch Academia more than a lot of people I know, but if you had told me before the season that a Trigger reboot of an obscure sentai show would deliver a strong contender for the best episode of anime I've seen all year, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

What Utsumi said before leaving was kind of interesting too.[/spoiler]"If this was how we met, I think we would [have been friends]."[/spoiler] Depending on how many layers of :tinfoil: you're on, maybe he meant something about the real-real world and not just the one we've mostly seen?

It's definitely not the show I expected to be the character drama I enjoyed the most. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 2, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
On a completely non-story note, anyone more familiar with such things have an idea what the odds are of something like Akane's jacket getting another run? It should be fairly likely, right?

I am a consumer slave and wanted to get it, but didn't have the extra money due to holidays and getting fired. :rip:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm interested in what the unexpected success (I think, at least? I'm going off of conjecture on my part, I admit.) will mean for the future of things.

Caphi posted:

What if it's Rikka that liked Akane?

I don't know, Akane cast Yuta as her boyfriend and Rikka as her bestie, and something about the bus scene made me feel like Rikka rejected the dream because "you're one of my friends too!" is not what she wanted to hear as an answer to "what about all the other girls you hang out with?" The poster goes both ways.

Didn't one of the audio dramas explicitly have Rikka acknowledge she knew what the boys were talking about when they called Akane hot?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. The show's felt really interested in playing the notion of Toku shows as big silly action spectacles with goofy villains and loudly declared attack names and poo poo like that against the notion of the world as a mundane, intricate, and at times incomprehensible or alienating place since the very beginning. I wouldn't even say it's trying to do like a take down or !DECONSTRUCTION! or anything like that, but there's definitely a fascination with sort of competing perspectives there, or something.

Having a little trouble articulating what I'm getting at here tbh.

Playing it for dramatic effect? Exploring the concept in an analytical way?

Wark Say posted:

It was a fun, harmless show with some good moments that basically went nowhere, as SatoshiMiwa so helpfully explained already. It had one of the best moments of voice acting of recent years when Saori Hayami (Kokoro in DitF, Yumeko in Kakegurui, Yukino in Oregairu, among many other roles) knocked it out of the park with a 2 minute, 15 second (give or take) rant that was just... unexpected in how great it was. I mean, nobody was doubting that Ms. Hayami is a great VA, but it was still pretty out of left field, like a band/artist you like/used to like playing a song that they haven't played in years or never played live, but they changed a couple of things / played an extended version and they absolutely slayed it.

e: Beaten like the chump I am! That'll learn me. :doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHd3xfDzTg8

If you haven't seen it, that's the scene. It's stunningly well done.

It's the first I heard of the show, so I was disappointed at how nothing it turned out to be. Oh well.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 6, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

This doesn't really seem like the type of show that's been designed with a second season in mind, given how self-contained this plot seems to be. Would love to see Trigger try their hand at another toku anime though. (Didn't they originally want to do the Ultra series?)

It's kind of up in the air at this point, depending on how things resolve. The show was way more popular than it was expected to be.

Larryb posted:

I'm not sure if Trigger is handling it but wasn't there supposed to be some kind of Ultraman anime coming out next year?

I could have sworn it was a live action netflix adaptation.

Ibblebibble posted:

I think they mentioned that it was close by in episode 9, and Rikka and Akane take the same bus so it makes sense that they're close by. I laughed when it turned out that they were neighbours though.

Maybe I'm an idiot but I thought that was mentioned at one point?

Helter Skelter posted:

She mentioned it during the dream in the last episode, but I think you're right.

I knew it! :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we get more Gridman or at least Toku stuff if this show does well, but assuming they stick the landing I don't think I'd want another season with this specific cast. The show's been so very tightly focused on Akane and her story, and we're so obviously close to the end of that, it'd feel weird to get another season with her and Yuta and the gang.

Keep Gridman and maybe the Neon Genesis team, but give them a new storyline like Final Fantasy style.

It kinda depends on what the circumstances around everything ultimately turn out to be.

I'd be happy either way, I think. I do like the characters (or at least the assist weapons, akane, anti and rikka, I think yuta and utsumi are a bit flat), but that's all the more reason to not want needless sequelizing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 9, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

It could all crash and burn (call no man happy until he's dead and that), but right now Gridman's looking amazing. Not only as a show (because, yeah, it's good), but its dramatically exceeding sales expectations, and it finished production weeks ago.

I am going to choose to believe in Gridman, but it's going to be impressive to see how it gets a satisfying conclusion in two episodes. Stuff has been hinted at, but all that's really been established is Akane is behind... Something, somehow.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

At this point I'm very much expecting this to be a sort of show where you get the ending to Akane's personal story with depression and isolation and loathing and poo poo but a lot of the broader mysteries of the setting are left unexplained - and I'm perfectly okay with that. Akane's story is a lot more fascinating to me than any of the logistics of how the simulation is working or any of that anyway.

That's kind of what I'm expecting.

I think ultimately I'm just not used to liking shows enough to be sad when they end.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

who preys upon vulnerable people and fosters hatred because that's just how he do.

That seems pretty accurate for someone on the internet, actually.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've never been so excited for the last episode of an anime before. :ohdear:

Larryb posted:

Of course then at the end of that movie the truamatized girl then captures said Savior when all is said and done and then traps everyone in a new reality that she controls. Speaking of which it's kind of a pity that the proposed third movie in that series never got off the ground.

Man, so Madoka just kinda ends on a cliffhanger?

That's so weird.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I never really followed Madoka too closely, so I frankly couldn't begin to comment on what the actual themes are, but leaving a well-loved series on a cliffhanger is kind of the worst thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Gridman only has one episode to ruin it's sterling reputation, so this last episode will have to be bad on an unprecedented scale to really do that. Franxx on the other hand built up it's catastrophic plunge in audience endearment starting around the mid-way point culminating in a villain reveal and entire final arc of absolute garbage. Gridman has it's work cut out for it if it wants to be turned on by the fans so absolutely like Franxx was.

tbf the last episode is probably the easiest one to mess up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I am a little mixed on Akane having to leave the Gridworld forever, though, especially since by all appearances it still exists and has its own agency. Akane might be able to go score with Real!Rikka or whatever, but it feels a little dismissive of Grid!Rikka's agency to have to put aside her feelings for Akane, IMO.

Yeah, it left a little bit of bitterness for me but not in a way that ruins the show or anything, it just isn't something I personally like.

Despite that and it feeling a bit rushed, overall I liked the last episode and I'm really happy it managed to stick the landing. Probably my favorite anime of the year! I'm happy it dealt with the themes it did in the way it did. It reminded me of the game Anodyne, a bit.

In the end, I'd be happy with Gridman: Season 2 with a new cast. Or hell, Gridman: Season 2 with the same cast if the writers decided they had some other ideas. But I'd also be happy with this being it for the story, and I think that's a good place to be.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 23, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So does IRL Rikka look like Akane, possibly with a more realistic hair/eye colour? :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ranzear posted:

"Anti isn't reverse Gridman, he's reverse Akane" is a bit of a mindblower and certainly could have come up earlier in the series. That is one hell of a post indeed.

I sort of thought it was as in anti-Kaiju, because he turns against one, but I like the idea of anti-Akane more.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hadn't seen these. :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/trigger_inc/status/1076518093667557376

https://twitter.com/tuki3002/status/1076516723799408640

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cephas posted:

Alternate take: a serious, 12 episode seinen story following Akane as she tries to become a functional human being in the real world, using her experiences with Gridman as a source of internal motivation

including a very important episode where she asks the real Rikka out on a date to a live action tokusatsu show but Hibiki and Utsumi are already in the crowd watching it

The biggest problem is a show where Akane and Rikka have their appearances swapped back to normal would be very disconcerting. :v:

Solanin, but gridman, would be good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Curious to see what the Akane spinoff's gonna be about.

How she wants to kiss Rika.

Nate RFB posted:

Having watched the series twice over relatively recently (the first time I was pretty ambivalent, the second time following some discussion with folks that ultimately led to me enjoying it a lot more) I really don't know how I'd feel about any sort of non-comedic follow up. Like knowing Akane's backstory just feels like something I'm better off not knowing or leaving up to interpretation. Can't hurt to see/try, of course.

There has been a bird-shaped hole in my heart ever since Punpun ended and I need it filled.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Hilighted part is what kills fun stuff in CineD, for example.
"No, actually, I think Akane's story is quite obviously her reckoning with a failed abortion attempt that leaves her barren it's all laid out in my labored reading of these selected scenes. I will continue to bring this up until I'm a black hole of discussion here"

No, sorry, you're thinking of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not crying, you're crying.