Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Larryb posted:

Several Power Rangers shows have been redubbed and aired in Japan, it's actually fairly popular over there too (not by a huge amount mind you but there is a fanbase at least). Kamen Rider Dragon Knight was also brought over there and wound up being more successful than it was in the west.

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ranzear posted:

And the underlying premise is just :stonk:

I forget where I posted about this possibly involving kaiju battles with collateral damage, but it got even more sinister in a hurry.

Yeah it's pretty messed up.

I'm hoping the entire world is a digital simulation just so more of the damage can be undone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pardon my rambling thoughts, I just came out of a discussion with my friends about the show and a couple of them have also been chatting about it on 4chan and so forth.

It's pretty clear the Gridman team is busting into this reality because it's hosed and there's people to save, and it's looking like the people to save is Akane from herself and from Alexis, her enabler. The Gridman crew can't be deleted by Akane's (or Alexis'?) control over this reality because they're basically invaders.

During the first ep, Akane was surprised when she looked up into the sky and saw a spark of light break apart into six pieces. Gridman, each of the NGJH Support team, and... Yuta? Or who or whatever is causing Yuta to have amnesia and giving Gridman an anchor into this reality. After the spark of light splits apart, the scene smash cuts to Yuta waking up. Much like after the special dog fiasco, the scene smash cuts to Akane (then-unidentified) angrily creating a kaiju to kill Tonkawa.

While the exact specifics of what's going on are a mystery (is this world real, how did digital Hyper Agent Gridman get here, what's Alexis' deal, why the amnesia anyway, is everybody else real, does it even really matter if they're "real" in-text or not), I feel like "Gridman and co. coming to stop Akane and save the people in this world (and probably also Akane too)" is basically the broad dynamic of what's going on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Julias posted:

And this is why his dream at the end of TTGL was the saddest :smith:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do like how "is this actually all just a simulation" is a genuinely sensible theory based on in-story context and the history of the IP and not just lazy crackpot nonsense.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

She's probably some horrible loser living in a fantasy world created by her mysterious digital enabler for some nefarious purpose.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

gently caress that was so good gently caress!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't usually self-promote, but I had been accumulating a lot of thoughts about Alexis and how well the show uses him over the last couple of weeks, and I decided to put them into a blog post and I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out. That's over here if that's a thing anyone cares to read.

I appreciated this, you put to words a lot of why I find Alexis so unsettling.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I agree this last ep felt rushed but I really, really enjoyed it nonetheless. They didn't answer all the questions, but they left enough info lying around that people could figure out most of the stuff that didn't need to be said aloud. Like how this was basically confirmed to be in continuity with the original Gridman show, just telling a different story with new characters. The same Hyper Agent, though, with the same VA and the same powers. I love that of all the ways this could've ended, the answer to beat Alexis was this:

http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/File:KingGridFixerBeam.gif

Except aimed at fixing the person who was broken, allowing Gridman to establish a direct link between her and the Computer World friends she made, who only want to help her be happy.

Without knowledge of the original Girdman show, the Fixer Beam comes off as kind of a weird but endearingly earnest rear end-pull, but with that knowledge it's just "oh that's right, he has Fixer Beam!", and it's probably the one downside of going into this mostly fresh.

And both thematically, as well as a nod to its predecessor, I loved how at the very, very end it switched to live action.

Is it just me or does Real!Akane actually look like Rikka? And intentionally so.

Runa fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 23, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

REM sleep connects you to the internet, confirmed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Colonel posted:

story: *is written with degree of subtlety*
me: ah... i get it. it was all fake, so nothing mattered

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Some people just really want to interpret the story this way despite all evidence saying something else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wark Say posted:

drat straight, kitten. :cheers:

Also, it's been over a day. Like, unless you were posting the spoilers outside this thread, it's fine. Shuffle off them spoiler bars, goons.

Oh thank goodness

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If you'd like to think of everything as being just a dream because you prefer that interpretation that's fine, but don't assert that it's the one better supported by the evidence in the show itself.

The computer world is already essentially unreal, making it also a dream on top of a computer simulation is basically taking the subtext (cyberspace sim as a stand-in for a dream world) and insisting it's the actual text.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I'm not saying that the idea of the computer world being essentially a dream isn't a valid idea because it's the obvious inference, and one that the imagery reinforces. But again, that's why it's the subtext.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's a fun read, thanks!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I totally get why people would want to interpret the world as being a dream and the bulk of the action as being an internal metaphor, I just don't subscribe to that reading of the material.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, let's go with that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

id pay $14890 to not read the above two posts

Lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

People are complaining that Rikka and Akane was a rugpull and aren't interested in Rikka being with Yuta, simple as.

No need to write heterophobia on a windmill to tilt at.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

In what way was it a rugpull

mostly the ED if I'm being honest

EDs baiting more interesting relationships than are actually in the show are also a time honored anime tradition so I can't even be mad

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

there a number of reasons why people don't like Bayo3 and that's just one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

there is one interesting thing about it and it's the implication that every bayo game takes place in its own timeline/universe, like when the bayo from the first game drops by to help and she addresses bayo3 in a way that implies that she's the cereza from the first game

but it still suffers from the multiverse problem of okay so do these other universes just not matter or what, because narratively they don't