Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Episode 2 continues to manage the intrigue pretty well. I'm very curious about exactly what Akane knows, or thinks she knows, about how things work in this world. Still very convinced that we're in the matrix. Interesting that the ED sequence itself seems to raise some new questions. The ED seems to suggest that Akane and Rikka are/were/will be tight? I don't think we've seen them acknowledge each others' existence in the actual text of the story yet tho. Curious to see what, if anything comes of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

Especially since Akane seems like a petty bitch so far that is willing to kill people for the slightest transgressions against her and appears to even delight in the suffering of others. But I'm sure more aspects of her character will come to light as things develop.

Plus there's also my creeping suspicion that we're in the Matrix and it's not clear if anyone who's died has stayed dead or even been a real person to begin with. Akane might just be playing glorified GTA (or think that she is) for all we know, running around ganking NPCs and kicking over sandcastles in a harmless simulation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

She's a psychopath to be fair but I still kind of like her (I'm also kind of curious if that's all there is to her or if she has some kind of hidden ulterior motive in all this), I'm still wondering what the ED is all about though as so far I don't think Akane and Rikka have even spoken to each other once in this series.

I'm rather nervous that that's going to turn out to be something like Akane turning out to be a crazy stalker yandere for Rikka, which seems like a really hard thing to pull off without feeling at least a little gross. I'm kind of nervous in general about Akane - I really, really don't want her motivation to just turn out to be 'bitch be wack, yo,' but it's sure hard to spin her any other way right now, especially after seeing how she treats Anti.

Very curious that the world got reset just fine after Akane won - I got the impression that the only reason even Hibiki didn't come back as soon as Gridman healed himself was that they were hoping to get the drop on the next Kaiju to manifest. Yet we also got confirmation that at least a couple of the casualties from the first couple episodes have stayed dead - but considering how much of the city gets smashed to pieces without any warning, it's difficult to fathom that literally all the normal people who get caught up in the fights are perma-dead.

The rules around what damage/casualties stick and what gets casually rewound/repaired seem very vague and arbitrary right now.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 21, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

There is an interesting disconnect between Akane as she's framed in the OP, ED, and promo material (which all give her sympathetic framing and place her alongside the heroes) and Akane as she exists in the show. Might be interesting to see where they end up going with that. Maybe she ends up developing some kind of actual attachment to Anti? He also has a suspiciously heroic-looking design compared to the other kaiju.

I know the Trigger/Gainax lineage isn't really as strong these days as it used to be, but his face and demeanor does remind me a bit of what I've seen of Viral from TTGL

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I was more thinking of his kaiju design, which has sharper colour contrasts and more heroic proportions than the other two we've seen so far.

Oh, speaking of the Kaiju designs - something interesting I've noticed is that the actual live Kaiju that Akane and what's-his-face summon look more like robots (especially Anti and #2) while the big dead kaiju that are just kind of hanging out in the background occasionally look like actual living (er, once-living) things. Not sure if they're going for anything specific there or if it's just a coincidence, but it stood out when I was looking back over some screencaps.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Frankly, I'd be just fine with a 12 episode show that's good throughout and ends well.

Yeah I feel like that's what we're going for. Show feels to me like it's trying really hard to be tight and pretty succinct.

Also Rikka is so much more interesting to watch than Yuta is that it's kind of unfair. If Yuta weren't the one transforming into a giant not-robot instead of Rikka I'd be calling Rikka the main character, easy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, idle thought: Before this ep I wasn't sure if the ED was referring to anything that had ever happened or if it was just supposed to be Akane having a weirdo stalker fantasy about Rikka (or just the ED director putting the cute girls in front of the camera), but now that this ep established that they do in fact know each other, I'm going to notice that they're wearing different uniforms in the ED and guess that them hanging out is a specific thing that actually happened while they were in middle school.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also it can serve a valuable dramatic purpose in Toku/Mecha stuff like this if it's not too long

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

I feel like Anti may be the wild card in all this. Not only does he have a mind of his own and is smart enough to bail out when he's losing but because he was created explicitly to kill Gridman that's literally all he seems to care about (hell, in the most recent episode he even attacked another monster for getting in his way). Akane and Alexis may have shot themselves in the foot with this one, especially since the former seems to generally treat him like poo poo.

I mean, at least for now the same thing that keeps him from attacking anyone but Gridman will presumably keep him from attacking Akane.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, episode 4 was actually outsourced and it was the director who put the kibosh on the tentacle idea, so it's actually closer to the opposite :v:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 29, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Rikkas buttthighs and Akane's feet are important part of their characterization ok

ftfy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ranzear posted:

I'm starting to think Yuta really is just as much a construct by Rikka as any of Akane's.

....poo poo that's loving good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If this is true there is roughly a zero percent chance that Yuta has ever actually existed before Akane dreamed him up, except maybe as a childhood imaginary friend.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tir McDohl posted:

Y'know, Junk being positioned in Rikka's house also parallels Akane's computer...

Y'know the more we think about Rikka and Akane as like dueling goddesses or something similar the more I like the idea...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

The part I don't get about the "Rikka did it" theory is that the series opens with Rikka asking Yuta if he remembers a specific thing that happened just before he was allegedly "created," which is an odd thing for her to do unless she rewrote her memories as well.

Not unreasonable to think that she might not be aware that she's doing it. That's not a perfect explanation of course, but something along those lines feels possible.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This has probably been brought up before - but I only just noticed that Akane isn't in the brief class photo shot we get in the OP. All of our heroes are and most side characters I can remember, but not her.

Anyway some idle thoughts from my rewatch of episode 4:

-In the context of my earlier speculation that Akane might be all yandere for Rikka, it's kind of interesting that this episode kind of established Rikka as being quite a bit more interested in Akane than the other way around. Rikka didn't want to hang out with the Boydols until Akane said she'd tag along, and then we cut to Rikka singing to herself over her cooking, as overtly happy as we've maybe seen her since the show started. But Akane snubs Rikka by deliberately not sitting with her on the bus, only offers to join her to see the boydols in a bid to get dirt on Yuta, then ditches Rikka there despite her being visibly uncomfortable. Though, at the very least, Akane seems at least vaguely glad that Rikka worries about her after the Kaiju attacks and makes that crack about hoping Rikka doesn't get too close to the Kaiju. Don't have any grand theory to take from all of this, but it stood out.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 31, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That episode was boring as poo poo and basically nothing important happened from start to finish? I didn't think that the cinematography or choreography was particularly impressive by this show's admittedly high standards either, everything from the fanservice to the comedy to the action felt rote and lifeless. I've really liked this show so far but today was an absolute dud.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 4, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Well the plot was advanced a bit in that the show has basically confirmed that the setting is some kind of fake-world what with the way the transitions to the country worked, the fact that the landscape was destroyed the instant they all left etc.

We basically already knew that, though - and that was covered in about 30 seconds of the episode's actual runtime. Just like how it felt like the episode was trying to make a big deal of Akane going "okay Yuta is definitely Gridman" even though she was *already* at "okay Yuta is almost certainly Gridman" for the last episode of two. I saw some people on twitter freaking out about the weak Akane/Rikka fanservice scene and thought we might at least get a few more hints as to what their connection is/was, but that wound up being a wet fart too, and nothing else in the episode even had the potential to to matter in any long term sense.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

No thank you

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Abort this whole train of thought IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The twists are beginning to land, largely as I expected so far.

Playing Akane as a depressed person we're here to save certainly seems nicer and more interesting than her just being crrrrrrraaaaaazy and in need of a thumping, but I do worry a little bit about whether the actual legit murders she's responsible for are just going to be shrugged off. Not sure yet how I want the show to handle that.

Also I'm more convinced than ever that Yuta isn't, strictly speaking, a person.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Depends on how virtual this virtual world is. If everything in this world turns out to basically be a part of Akane's psyche then it's less murder and more a convoluted form of self-harm.

Ohhhhh, I hadn't thought of that. That's really clever. I was worried it would just be '*shrug* well it's not like she killed real people' and that would be that, but making the attacks onto the city into a self-harm metaphor would be really sharp.

Although, if that's true of the victims, I wonder if there's anyone in the cast besides maybe Gridman and the weapon team it's not true of.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah there's really no common ground between the shows other than "some vaguely Trigger-adjacent people worked on them" and "they both involve things you could maybe call mecha"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like this subforum just needs a giant banner that reads DARLING IN THE FRANXX IS AN ANIME WRITTEN AND PRODUCED BY A-1 STUDIOS WITH SOME CROSSOVER TALENT AND DESIGN WORK BY TRIGGER

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

We should probably add to that that Gridman is written by Tsuburaya (best known for Ultraman) and here Trigger is entirely on the animation side, just as in DitF. As such, at worst, people should fear how still everything will get once Gridman grows even more gigantic in his marriage form.

To be fair, it sounds like the director, Akira Amemiya, has a lot of creative control over the story as well, and he is very much a Trigger guy. That said, Amemiya also had no involvement with DiTF.

It's still perfectly possible that Gridman explodes, but it won't have any real correlation with DiTF even if it does.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

That's a neat touch. I think it was posted somewhere in this thread that there are some nice details about characters in the background as well.

I know about Akane's nameless background friends apparently being the main characters from a Yuri novella the director wrote a while back. Anything else?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Considering the reveals of episode 6, now that I think about it, why doesn't Akane just send like 30 kaiju at Yuta at once just to take him out for sure?

I get the impression that she needs what's-his-face's help to make her carvings into actual Kaiju, so it might be a limitation of his own power?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm mostly watching it because I want to know what goes down. I'm not really a big fan of mecha anime or kaiju. :v:

The podcast guys were based off of an actual Japanese podcast, I think.

There's something vaguely ironic about a show as full of shoutouts as this having been aggressively anti-fanwork as it is/was. :v:

Hah, yeah, that is pretty funny - although the director/writer/animators actually making the show don't have a lot of say over what happens in legal, lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good news everyone, it’s actually Rikka’s rear end

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. Studio identity can often be overstated outside of a few uber-consistent houses like KyoAni just because anime in general is so reliant on freelance workers and outsourced episodes, but my understanding is that A-1 is even more contractor-driven and devoid of their own identity than most anime studios. Franxx wasn't really bad because A-1 per se, it was bad because it got the wrong team.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I want Akane and Rikka to kiss

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also he hasn't done anything important yet but I love that Borr is just a tiny suit-wearing drillman who's voiced by Aoi Yuuki and I hope he gets some better material than the fanservice ep gave him before were done

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's okay, nanomachines don't mean much when we can just reset the world electronically anyway

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show has officially released the point where the Kaiju fights actually kind of get on my nerves for getting in the way of the intriguing character drama and mystery stuff. They're not even bad, they're just super not what I'm here for right now.

Hoping/expecting we start getting a lot more answers starting next ep, now that Alexis has revealed himself, Anti's gone rogue, and Akane seems kind of shaken.

For all that I was worried early on that we might be setting up for a plotline where Akane's all yandere for Rikka or something, it's really fascinating how it's turned out closer to the opposite. Akane barely cares about Rikka more than she does about anyone else - and that's if we're being generous - while Rikka's fixation on Akane has become really pronounced over the past few eps. Namiko and Hass joking about Rikka being like a goddess was also a really carefully-timed line by the writers. Really curious about precisely what the show's trying to tease out of those two.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, especially with the way last episode described Akane as more sad than anything and framing her as in need of saving.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like how nice dinner with Alexis was.

I wish the Kaiju hadn't interrupted

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The leaked episode summaries have been vague but accurate so far, and if we can trust them, everything goes straight to hell next episode.

I'm excited.

Do you have a link?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, it's kind of interesting to consider what exactly Alexis is. He's advertised as a space alien, but we know he's not from space as in outside the planet where the gang lives because we've thoroughly established that space doesn't exist. So where is he from? Is he from space in the 'real' world? A computer virus? Some sort of manifestation of Akane's issues?

Also interesting that he was introduced via Akane's computer the way Gridman was introduced via Junk, but unlike Gridman he seems able to manifest physically with no fuss. Not sure what to make of that, or precisely what he's getting out of Akane.

Also something that just occurred to me: It's interesting that he speaks to Akane primarily through the computer when he clearly doesn't actually need to. I wonder if they're working some sort of angle with, like, online predation/radicalization or something like that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

Since he was made specifically as an anti-Gridman weapon (hence his name) I kind of get the impression that he literally can't transform unless Gridman is present (and his confrontation with Yuta at the start of this episode seems to back that up).

Plus his fight with Yuta and the Neon Genesis squad last ep. Why bother with the dumb handsaw thing when you could just transform and squish 'em (or at least force them into a more typical fight)?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darksaber posted:

My thought on this is that Akane obviously REALLY doesn't like people in her room for some reason, with her reaction to Anti's footprint and specifically telling Alexis to not let anyone inside, so Alexis doesn't go in the room to avoid that reaction. My first thought is that the room used to belong to someone special to her, maybe a father or older brother who loved kaiju like her and ended up dying tragically. I dunno how/if that would explain the trash, but it's what popped into my head while I was watching the episode.

Mm, I don't know if the trash needs 'explaining' per se. Just seems like an easy visual shorthand for how thoroughly Akane's cut herself off from the world and disregarded the sorts of basic living comforts most of us take for granted when she's by herself, to me.