Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The part I don't get about the "Rikka did it" theory is that the series opens with Rikka asking Yuta if he remembers a specific thing that happened just before he was allegedly "created," which is an odd thing for her to do unless she rewrote her memories as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nephthys posted:

I wonder what Akane's plan was before they got interrupted. Was she really just going to have dinner and then go home with 'OK Yuta, guess we'll keep fighting! Hahaha I'll get you next time you scamp!' And then show up for school again the next day.

I mean, probably. Akane doesn't take anyone else's feelings seriously, that's the whole point of her being all casual with "Mr. Gridman" and the "hey let's hang out and talk about this fun hobby of mine" routine.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyway I'm really happy that they've started adding the lyrics to the OP on the streams!

Crunchy posted:

Open your eyes!
Our world as we know it is under attack

In these days that seem like just a big sham
Our S.O.S. is quickly gaining steam
Even though we know something is off
Today passes by against the backdrop of the usual sky, the same sights

What did we promise that day?
What did we talk about in the classroom?
At this rate, that promise might disappear, too

Open your eyes!
This is no drill, and it's no rehearsal either
Once the veil called "daily life" is ripped off
The bell to fight rings out
So why don't we form an alliance for now?
I've come to rescue you from "boredom"!

At these memories that seem like fakes
We point and say "it was better back then"
Even though we know it's all empty
We pretend to understand, pretend not to see, and hide our scars

"I could never be a hero"
"Someone else will be the protagonist"
Don't give up without realizing it

The world we know can't be traded for anything
It doesn't matter if you're a kid or a grown-up
If you start to fall for the rules called "daily life"
Wave the flag of resistance
So why don't we start a revolution just for us?

A wish, a wish come true
Wish upon the stars at night
On the union of the dream that binds us

Open your eyes!
This is no drill, and it's no rehearsal either
Once the veil called "daily life" is ripped off
The bell to fight rings out
So why don't we form an alliance like back then?
I've come to rescue you from "boredom"!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What if it's Rikka that liked Akane?

I don't know, Akane cast Yuta as her boyfriend and Rikka as her bestie, and something about the bus scene made me feel like Rikka rejected the dream because "you're one of my friends too!" is not what she wanted to hear as an answer to "what about all the other girls you hang out with?" The poster goes both ways.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
We do know for a fact the world doesn't work like Akane wants it to, from the fact that she had to make a simulator-kaiju within the simulation just to get things back on the rails and it still doesn't work and she says something specifically like "this is how it was supposed to go [...] even in here they don't do what I want."

I suspect this episode probably reveals even more about Akane than it appears at first glance, which is quite a lot, if you dig a little, which I haven't.

It's also possible that she did simply create them all, and that part of the plot is worth taking at face value, but they are also sentient and subject to emergent behavior, particularly if she can't just give Yuta bravery and Rikka loyalty and then say "no, not like that." c.f. Anti, who was made with a very simple behavioral pattern, not even something broad like "be a friend," and has since attempted to interpret his identity within that framework in a succession of unexpected ways.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
As opposed to who? Trigger isn't Michael Bay.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It would have been one thing if Virgin Soul was just a case of not thinking through its implications quite hard enough, but it was really bold of it to spend its entire first half going really hard on how much of a brutal demon rights violation the Charioce regime was and then start on the "but he's such a good kisser!"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wishing they hadn't done the Yuta-gets-a-Transformers-voice effect because I got chills when he started talking like Gridman in his voice.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
poo poo, that line of Rikka's was "wherever you go, you're with me," not "you're like me." That doesn't even make sense and it's a little bit of a de-gaying. Yes the rest of the scene is gay as poo poo but that just makes the error stand out more because it has nothing to do with anything else Rikka is saying.

Finale was real good but that one took me out of it for a second.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 22, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nitrousoxide posted:

Or, it's just the dream of a fan of the original series, which put her in a central place in her little made up story along with some allegories about her life (as dreams do) which she woke up from at the end. I don't know why you think the world has any substance outside of her? We don't see it existing after she wakes up at all. I mean it seems pretty straightforward to me.

It literally shows the exact moment she leaves the cyberworld and then shows a bunch of stuff happening in it some time later, including major changes like the weather and season that didn't happen while the kaiju were doing maintenance, and Anti still existing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Especially when the text repeatedly establishes that the cyber characters exist both outside and after Akane's presence.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Interpreting an anime where all the messaging was "this villain only considers the other characters as existing for her own benefit instead of as their own people" as "obviously all the other characters only existed for the villains benefit and weren't real people" is a bold take, but I'm interested.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Aren't we due for the next gritty Tatsunoko reboot?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Akane and Yuta are the only humans in SSSS with abnormal hair colors, so it's possible that Akane's virtual appearance isn't simply traded with Rikka's but a sign of her being foreign to this reality (and Yuta's has something to do with Gridman).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In practice, kaiju attacks are always in the city and the city is on a big old river.

Gridman did have that one fight in the field trip, but I think even that had a lake.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They might actually do an episode where they have to fight without Gauma present at all and the Kaiju Eugenicists take the opportunity to cause drama in the team without him.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MorningMoon posted:

Something that's been sticking with me is that Yume's reaction to the footage was noting that her sister was smiling. I feel like it's presented for you to assume that Yume is discovering a nice, happy side to her sister... but that means the side she saw at home was not this. So Yume probably saw the depressed, sad, angry side. And while it's nice to have hope that her hobbies were a healthy escape from that... I think the gutpunch will come from the side that the music club saw was a forced one. The sister just forcing herself to smile so that nobody worries about her as her suicidal thoughts grew.

The thing is, it also mirrors what she said to Yomogi about how they don't know each other that well so he's never seen her having fun. What does that say about Mei?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Walrus has to be trolling at this point.

In that very spirit: people have been making a big deal about how Chise gets ignored all season and what that could imply, I'm calling there's a simpler explanation: Chise's damage is about how she gets ignored all the time, in a perfectly mundane way. She gets miffed every time the team overlooks her or someone was like "whoa, where did you come from," and the kaiju seed(?) in her pocket grows every time she sees people bonding without her (not just Koyomi, as shown in this very episode).

Chise feels constantly excluded and ignored, and she's bitter about it but she's bottling it up because that's what everyone does in SSSS.DYNAZENON, and that's what will lead to her getting a kaiju on her back, as foreshadowed by that shot in the op with the eyes behind her.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 15, 2021

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Larryb posted:

Though there is the question of why she always keeps one arm covered up which I imagine will come into play later (my current theory is that she’s some sort of hybrid kaiju like Second is)

There's also the fact that she dropped out of school? Those are almost definitely related, I think there's a good chance she was bullied as well.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Well, it fits with the idea that putting on a mask is a resonant theme. Chise's story isn't coming up because, well, Chise isn't talking about it. Yume is opening up and Koyomi is, after a fashion, working through his regrets. Chise is acting cheery with the group while stewing in the background, the worst place for her to stew.

Yomogi is odd here as well. He looks like he's doing the best out of the team, but his family situation has forced him to work which is distancing him from his friend group, which Dynazenon has only exacerbated. It's just that Yomogi himself is distracted (deliberately?) by focusing on Yume and piloting, and I'm sure that's all going to come back around.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't believe that Chise's arm is anything supernatural because she's already tripped over a kaiju giblet. There is no reason to have her affected by two things when one could be the kind of drama that every other main character in the show is also getting.

Something about SSSS makes people want to see fantastic explanations for absolutely everything when both shows have pretty clearly magical realism where the supernatural amplifies the mundane.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Having totally called that Chise's inner kaiju was a product of being ignored, I am actually having very mixed feelings about how it got resolved. She only got to be prioritized in her friends' (family's?) lives once she proved herself useful - her frustrations weren't acknowledged on their own, until they became productive and then everything turned around for her. Bottle up your problems and they'll turn into a good thing by magic!

It's not even a question of freezing out people who want to help, which was Yume's problem. Nobody cared about Chise as a person the whole episode, they care about Goldburn's powerup.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Droyer posted:

I don't really think anyone has really ignored her though, in the show as a whole or in this ep. The only real example in this ep is Koyomi not answering her question at the beginning, but that was only he got a phone call right then, which is what you would do if you got a call in a (as far as you know) chill conversation with someone you see every day.
The only real way she's being excluded is that she's not a regular pilot, but it isn't really anyone's fault that Dynazenon is made out of four robots rather than five, which isn't anyone's fault and is a problem that's directly solved by Goldburn.

It's been completely consistent throughout the show that Chise regularly feels, rightly or wrongly, deprioritized, excluded, left behind, what have you, not just as pilots but socially. It's most obvious with Koyomi starting to grow up away from this codependence, but not exclusively, as last episode showed her kaiju seed growing when she stumbled upon Yomogi and Yume at the ice cream shop. In fact, as of this episode, not only are all these things explicitly underlined instead of just Chise vaguely sulking in the background - it's made perfectly clear that it's not even just a Dynazenon thing, it's the reason she's not going to school.

If it was just that she felt like she wasn't helping, then yeah, Goldburn would be a win. But for her to feel valued, I'm not totally comfortable with "having a robot" being what gets her there.

e: I'm less down on this now because I think Goldburn itself is a friend, that grew from her loneliness because kaiju respond to peoples' feelings and it did so in the most wholesome way you can expect. So good for her and it, and as a bonus it says some neat things about kaiju generally, and the rest of the team is... separate, I guess.

To be clear, the show's still pretty dang good!

Caphi fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 29, 2021

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yuta, a character who was in SSSS.GRIDMAN for about two seconds, is front and center on the poster. Is him getting up to speed on the big adventure his friends had without him going to be a major thing, or is it just going to be Hyper Agents again somehow? (or is it just because recognizable visuals)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's also nothing at all about how Rikka feels about it, which didn't matter during SSSS.GRIDMAN when their relationship itself didn't matter.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
First of all it can't "ruin the movie" because the movie isn't here to be ruined yet. It's just not a very compelling thing to make a major theme out of.

The guy in the movie wasn't in the game for one single line but even if you go "well his behavior as amnesia Gridman is Yuta's original personality coming through" he's still the most boring nice boy [insert transformation into toku here] dotted-line cutout in the show. And that's fine for the show, because the show isn't about Yuta. Heck, it's not even about Gridman.

At best, the Yuta plot is completely orthogonal to everything that was cool about SSSS, and at worst it makes Rikka an object in what was arguably her own show.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What assumptions, all I said was about the original show and how it did not make me care at all about Yuta's feelings for Rikka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What are you talking about? This isn't about imposing an ideal of purity or anything, it's about the thing that SSSS was very explicitly about and that got people attached on purpose??