Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

this show is very good wow

And the underlying premise is just :stonk:

I forget where I posted about this possibly involving kaiju battles with collateral damage, but it got even more sinister in a hurry.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Yeah it's pretty messed up.

I'm hoping the entire world is a digital simulation just so more of the damage can be undone.

I'm hoping it's not :unsmigghh:

I want an apology/middle finger toward all the pulled punches of DitF, but yeah, probably no one actually gets kill-la-killed in the end.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Julias posted:

And this is why his dream at the end of TTGL was the saddest :smith:

His was the realest, the simplest, and the most impossible. It's a wonder he wasn't the first to break out.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

So apparently, Borr is a guy? Well, fair enough, then.

And is voiced by Aoi Yuuki.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Since the director already snuck his yuri novella characters in just for fun, couldn't we also just figure the ending is just somewhat meaningless shipbait too?

Good episode. Avoided the episode 4 curse even. Anti/Viral parallels continue at an accelerated pace.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Well gently caress me for suggesting that maybe the ED is just an irrelevant and unrelated ED. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Y'all dealt with that just fine in DitF.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Like, I know she has a very mercurial mood, but in the latest episode, I'm deeply in the "I want to know what's Akane's deal more than Yuuta/Gridman's" camp, because dang.

I think pointing out that, to me, only Rikka and Akane feel like 'real' people right now lends to the virtual world idea. We only really see the day-to-day of these two so far.

They visited Yuta's apartment but didn't knock or go in, he just showed up after she finally called him. There was no actual confirmation toward him being retroactively dead or anything, which could be a fun reveal and explain his memory loss.

Utsumi is always just there too, Tyler Durden style, but that gets flimsier.

This show is turning into actually Akane vs Rikka, and Yuta is just a creation like Anti?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Space Flower posted:

so you'd agree that sometimes gay is just gay and we don't need to look for 29 reasons to dismiss it as 'yuribait'? okay

I didn't dismiss anything but people digging for ways to inject that back into the show's narrative, because there's cooler poo poo going on.

If the ED turns out to be relevant, neat! Right now it doesn't fit into the actual show though.

Space Flower posted:

also no, I didn't deal with DitF and I feel healthier for it.

:same:

I've already described this show as an apology for DitF.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 29, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Despite memory fuckery being prevalent so far, that'd be a really lazy way to explain why they barely know each other now, unlike the level of interaction and tropes the ED suggests.

I saw that the audio drama has a lot of background information that the show is leaving out, and someone posted a subtitled #4. Will need to track down the prior I guess.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Bah, looks like 1.1 has been taken down at least three times. I guess the alternative is :filez:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, episode 4 was actually outsourced and it was the director who put the kibosh on the tentacle idea, so it's actually closer to the opposite :v:

Episode 3 was someone else too, which explains "the footjob scene". The kibosh probably included some version of "dude, seriously?"

I want to draw a pretty thick line between narrative subtext and fetish injection.

Akane covers most of her skin while in public but takes off her tights, puts on glasses, and is surrounded by trash behind closed doors? Narrative subtext relating to social anxiety.

Multisecond shot of removing tights and wiggling toes? Pushing it.

I hope they continue to stick to the former and still permit the horny aspects, but I think tentacles are right out.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Or anyone who is able to go into it is an entirely virtual entity, which would include Yuta.

Incidentally, FFX got brought up at lunch. That's a fun parallel.

Ninja edit: How does he have his phone and answer if he's the robot?

I'm starting to think Yuta really is just as much a construct by Rikka as any of Akane's.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Caphi posted:

The part I don't get about the "Rikka did it" theory is that the series opens with Rikka asking Yuta if he remembers a specific thing that happened just before he was allegedly "created," which is an odd thing for her to do unless she rewrote her memories as well.

Or she remembers everything, including Yuta being killed by a Kaiju, is shocked that he came back unlike anyone else, and was simply trying to figure out if he's actually Yuta.

Or Yuta was killed by a kaiju, is retro-dead, and only Rikka really knew that because of mild interaction long prior. She knows he's dead, but he's back (and amnesiac) now. It's why she strongly hesitated to knock on his door.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Dzhay posted:

That she seems hesitant to get more involved, compared to glasses boy, seems to be something the show is doing very deliberately. But yeah, those two should really be asking Calibur and co. how they got robots.

It's very deliberate if my theory from earlier holds

(She knows/suspects Yuta is already retro-dead from a Kaiju, that he actually had no family (they weren't/aren't "on vacation"), and so this fake Yuta was able to just move in and act like the real one.)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

if his family have been erased by kaiju, what's with the specific time of "three months" until they come back? Is this fake world just not going to last that long?

Dunno about them, but where did he get that information? If it came from his phone, it could be old/virtual. If it came from Rikka, it still fits and maybe gets more sinister.

Anyway, retraced to episode 1. Mama knows Yuta is in the same class as Rikka. I'm calling that a theory killer.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Yuta eats dust, Rikka nabs Access Flash off him and gets to be Gridman. Calling it here :colbert:

Okay but it better redesign Gridman some Star Driver hips.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"No, seriously, where the hell are we?"

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like this subforum just needs a giant banner that reads DARLING IN THE FRANXX IS AN ANIME WRITTEN AND PRODUCED BY A-1 STUDIOS WITH SOME CROSSOVER TALENT AND DESIGN WORK BY TRIGGER

Early in the Franxx thread I looked up other A-1 productions and identified that the show was probably going to start phoning it in, pulling punches, and go to poo poo by the end just like Aldnoah and everything else A-1 makes.

I got poo-poo'd and shushed so loving much, with claims that studios can't have habits or meddling that lead to such things, or that Trigger could save the day (I hereby regret holding onto that hope until the pentultimate episode.)

I took note of her in this shot but didn't think anything of it at the time. Now I know she learned to find change in coin returns and under machines from Anzu.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Julias posted:

WOW that's some bad perspective in this shot. Those vehicles are literally perpendicular to the ground.

I think it might be an Evangelion reference, or perhaps more generally common framing, when Shinji and Rei are walking with roughly that spacing and the cars look just like that too, right after the infamous post-shower scene. I don't have it handy to scrub through.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 14, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah I don't mean it as an "I told you so", but one might expect that A-1 might carry the same issues with one mecha project (Aldnoah) into the next one. It could also still be an overarching issue of meddling and risk aversion over the whole organization.

I'm trying to figure out this whole "FranXX was made by A-1 not Trigger and so Trigger had nothing to do with it being bad" thing being inconsistent with trying to absolve A-1 of any seemingly consistent issue with their show quality. Y'all don't get to argue it both ways. I identified a history of shitshows by A-1, and DitF gets unanimously agreed upon to be a shitshow by the end.

Aldnoah:Zero has the exact same stumbling story poo poo that DitF ran into: You get to the end of a cour or season and it's like some other writer took over and nuked half the twists and retcon'd any meaningful character deaths and then just forgets half of the other story beats (Red Strelitzia, for instance?) I start to wonder if that's staff-external meddling on A-1's part. Do any other A-1 shows have this issue where it feels like someone jerked the wheel away from where the writers were headed?

I deal with a lot of risk aversion day-to-day in my creative industry job. The way A-1's shows seem to steer into safe territory so often feels a lot like that, like someone at the top is vetoing major story twists or controversial topics like same-sex pairings.

I keep hearing a Ship of Theseus argument about staff but nobody notices it's the same captain every time it wrecks...

Sorry about derail. Can we talk about good shows now?

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 14, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

an actual dog posted:

lets talk about Sho's pudge

Waist pudge is a very serious issue when you're a skinny sort who can't find clothes that fit well enough already. My shirts and dresses stop fitting if I go over 145, and she poked the exact area that I always notice it first.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Potsticker posted:

It's like being able to recognize the different suits used for Darth Vader, but then meeting another fan of Star Wars and starting off with "You know he had a different actor for his voice other than the guy in the suit?"
Relevant Nerdwriter. There are only "three" Vader suits because Lucas is a moron and the people around him knew what they were doing, especially in Empire. Narratively, there is only the suit.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 15, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm willing to admit I was wrong about the outro being particularly relevant to the story.

It most certainly is, in what might turn out to be the most toxic, creepy, and unhealthy way possible.

Looks like the Rikka snub theory (originally axed by bus stop interactions) is back in play.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

The ED might be IRL Rikka and Akane chumming it out, and then Rikka missing/wondering where Akane went to as Akane went into what is probably VR therapy of some sort.

You don't take steps toward a virtual version of someone not being able to hate you if the real version didn't have reason to.

Oh, the outro is absent from this episode, too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, you do if you're mentally ill/a teenager and misinterpret someone, say, failing to respond to your advances as them hating you.

Or Rikka is just straight.

Asking these two if they'd seen Akane was a nice touch though. The director seems very intentional on that front.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Found a companion image at least:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Now you can't unsee it either.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Edit: Found the artist.

Their Twitter feed is VERY NSFW.

Ah, the kanji I learned earlier from the pamphlet cover came up again, but this way predates the episode, so it was off the cuff rule 63, nice.

And yeah, that art being SFW is the exception in that twitter feed. Holy cow...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

A card in the rest of the images says next June.

That preview was only two days ago, for reference.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

numerrik posted:

I know this is slightly off topic, but what are some similar shows to this (both anime and live action are fine) I want to explore this sort of show more.

Big O

:hai:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I wanted to mention the similarities to Big O for a while, but it's the recent episodes and mystery of the setting that hammered it home.

Memories, fog, monster-of-the-week ... yeah.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I suppose my next recommendation is Star Driver, from an 'amicable villains' tilt on monster-of-the-week and no collateral damage perspective.

It gets a little repetitive in the middle, but has the best final episode of almost any mecha show I know, including TTGL.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 27, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

One important thing to remember is that mecha anime cover a vast range of different tones

Yeah, that's why Big O was my first suggestion and Star Driver my second - was based on tonality and setting. That these lean toward tokusatsu in execution is second to that.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

This whole episode hurt, like as someone who is habitually alone it got a little too real in places for me.

Rikka's attire while at school, like Akane was literally projecting Rikka's ED appearance onto her. Maru and Ako were on the bus behind Akane but gone once Rikka was 'waking up'. I'm so mixed between :kimchi: and :ohdear:. Akane just wants anyone to connect with.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I happened to see a full cosplay on Aliex just now while looking for an 3.33 Asuka hat (which I did find!) but can't speak to quality. Could poke around a bit more for just the jacket, but looks like ~$60 either way.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 3, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

maninthesuit posted:

Normally I'm not interested in that sort of thing, but I now genuinely want to see a good Alexis costume just to see how they do the smoking head.

I'm not tall enough (and wouldn't risk platforms and a long cloak at a con), but it can be done pretty well with some really fine white fabric, LEDs (mixed colors on white fabric looks best), and a small squirrel cage blower or two, exactly how I saw someone did Inferno Cop of all things. It'd all be 5v, so you just run it off a USB battery bank, and there's plenty of helmet to build it in.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm willing to hear some examples. The flattest character I can think of from their works is Ryuko.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I love how Inferno Cop has turned into a cameo character of sorts for them. Wasn't there a blink-and-you-miss-him in LWA?

Edit:

Just on the TV I guess.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 5, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Actual IRL spit-take when they walked to Akane's house ... next door.

Anti's heel-face turn could be seen from a mile away, but not transforming into another gridman.

Akane understanding that Gridman is in the computer aligns with her thinking about why it took him so long to show up in the rafting episode earlier in the episode.

It's Gridman vs Alexis at this point, for sure. Vying over Akane's internal ... stuff.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Are we sure that Akane's workspace is actually in her house by the way?

The thing about Akane's eyes has got to be a major hint, but I just spent 15 minutes skimming. Anti's eyes didn't actually change or anything.

I will note that only Rikka and Borr have two-tone eyes on a quick pass.

... this show has broken me.