Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
That image also shows why the show is 'only' 12 episodes long. (At least, I think it's planned for 12.)

If it took much longer, Akane would run out of room to dump her trash and still be able to climb to her monster-sculpting and buddy-hangout corner. Unless the rewind takes care of that as well. The screen with the monster-animator got fixed after she kicked it, didn't it?

On a more serious note, the huge corridor-pile of garbage and monsters is probably another metaphor for something or other relating to her mental state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Man, the support-team were a treat this episode. From genuine support to goofy antics to 'I ain't here to stalk the girls, I'm here to stalk the food'. Even Gridman himself got in on it with attempts at cheering people on without knowing what was really going on. Also, Gorilla-mode has a kicking finisher. I didn't see that one coming.

As for the guest characters. it's funny. At first I thought that the youtube boys were Kaiju created for the purposes of investigation, hence Rika's 'wait, who?' reaction when her friends were all over said group and acted like they'd been having contact for ages. It's not as if Akane hasn't got experience at making human-scale entities, after all.

Speaking of which, turns out that giving Kaiju a brain was a mistake. Should have installed the loyalty-upgrade.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Justin_Brett posted:

If anything he's too loyal, and thus, jealous of any other kaijus.

Wrong choice of words perhaps. What I meant was that he's all onboard with killing Gridman because that's specifically the reason why Akane created him, as opposed to flattening whatever little squishy human who pissed her off that day. The fire to fight fire. (He's even got the 'things got serious' forehead beeper!) But when Akane's goals change to 'go slaughter these dudes instead', he just nopes and sticks with glaring at her house waiting for Gridman. That's also why he starts beating up Akane's latest kaiju. HE is the one who must kill Gridman, not some other animated blown-up clay figure.

Maybe I should have called it the flexibility-upgrade, or the teamwork-upgrade instead.

quote:

words about feet
I think that removing her socks and putting on the broken glasses represents her taking off the mask she wears outside.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
The hotdogs keep being important. With Rikka offering hers to Anti as a mirror to episode 1's food-giving scene. (It also amuses me that Anti basically has 2 priorities. Food, and GRIDMANNNN!!! I kinda hope he hooks up with the homeless Kaiju. Maybe learn better dumpster-diving techniques.)

And Akane picking volleyball-girl's restaurant for her diner with can't have been a narrative coincidence. It further drives things home when she literally comes out and says; "Yeah, I retroactively erased her because she smooshed my/your lunch." This comes right after a scene where she casually steps on Anti's lunch. Speaking of which, it's a running theme that she treats him as poo poo or at best with indifference no matter what he does. For now the programming is still holding, but I'm seeing flag after flag popping up foreshadowing an eventual going rogue.

And finally, I absolutely loved how without even really changing his mannerisms, they've managed to turn Alexis from 'that goofball in Akane's computer who is bad because he enables her worst tendencies', into an actual overwhelming menace. Just by making him able to appear in a physical form at will and show that he can do things on his own. (As well as being quick to shift the blame when he's found out.) That full-on murderous grin after he took out Anti's eyes gave me the shivers. Pretty great considering his mask is inanimate save for some lights.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I can understand Utsumi's reasoning of things being too good to be real. Imagine dreaming that you're in a bookstore and you find this book that sounds absolutely amazing. Wonderful concept, intriguing plotline etc. so you can't wait to buy it. Then you notice that the text keeps changing....:( Happens way too often. Though the funniest parts had to be cosplay Alexis for me. Normally I'm not interested in that sort of thing, but I now genuinely want to see a good Alexis costume just to see how they do the smoking head.

Also, was that a suicide attempt at the end or a case of 'ladders are for mortals'? Or perhaps both? Akane has been looking way more openly depressed/apathetic these last few episodes. A far cry from the early episodes where she was more 'Kaiju-stomp yes! Woohoo!'.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

She hasn't been giving a poo poo about her health and wellbeing for the entire show. See also, her garbage-room and her broken, unrepaired glasses. Less 'ladders are for mortals', more 'ladders are for people who care'.

Hence why I said 'openly'. The deepseated unhappiness has always been the core of Akane's whole character I think, it's just that she used to have some form of (temporary and unhealthy) reprieve in the form of murdering npcs. Its very similar to venting frustrations with a random videogame rampage now that I think of it. But now this Ultraman-wannabe has even taken that away from her. I'm not even sure if anyone really 'died' ever since Akane's target (and probably Alexis' as well cause Gridman is an unknown but worrying factor) has changed from random people that irritate her to the seemingly nigh-invincible giant that keeps pulling new tricks out of its metaphorical sleeves. Now logically speaking there should be tons of dead people every episode. Buildings get trashed and cars get flung by the dozens after all. But I can't remember ever actually seeing a panicked crowd getting squished. Now I may have just missed it as I'm not exactly the most attentive viewer, but the fight-scenes still come across as clinical to me.

It doesn't help that I'm not sure if the city is half-empty because most people died from Kaiju-related incidents, or if it was always half-empty. Though given the riverside not existing until it was needed, I'm leaning towards the latter. What I'm saying is, the only confirmed deaths have been specific targets. Everyone else just gets amnesia so any other victims are simply forgotten, or everyone (except Akane and Gridman-aligned folk) gets restored from backup.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
So I just watched the show and all I can say is....that just happened.

I have to give Gridman props though. Few things tell you the series is getting to its climax and has stopped pulling its punches better than by taking away the literal undo-mechanism. On screen...by a laughing hotdog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
That actually might not be such a bad idea actually. Remember when Anti first showed up and we got the whole "This Kaiju can talk and has feelings! I can't kill it!"?

Giant Akane would hit that button even harder.