Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Over There posted:

Hey guys, any advice on how to stop these critters from eating my pumpkins? They'll do it right in front of me and then run away if I come close.

In Virginia there are six species of squirrels. Of the six species, two have subspecies that are federally endangered; the Delmarva Peninsula fox squirrel, Carolina northern flying squirrel and the Virginia northern flying squirrel.

----

Squirrel (Gray, Red, and Fox)
Bag Limit:

All squirrels combined – six per day.

Fall Seasons:

Gray and Red Squirrels: September 1 through February 28 – statewide
Fox Squirrels: September 1 through January 31 in the following designated areas only: Counties west of the Blue Ridge and in the counties of Albemarle, Bedford, Culpeper, Fauquier, Franklin, Greene, Loudoun, Madison, Orange, Patrick, Prince William, and Rappahannock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zeno-25 posted:

They're just tree rats, OP. Don't be afraid to get rid of some vermin.

Just get yourself one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Tube-Trap-Squirrel-Standard/dp/B00K6JKVK4

Used to have a problem with them eating all of my tomatoes before I could pick them. Little fuckers would ruin all the fruit, just taking a few bites out of each one on a plant. They earned their fate.

does that kill bar usually get them around the torso? and do you think the trigger on it is heavy enough that you wouldn't kill any birds? seems like a good design if you could nail it to a tree and not have to worry about a life of sadness after some small stray cat walks through it

i hunt squirrel for meat and pelts so i'm not sure that one isn't going to gently caress everything up, but i'm curious. with deer season here nobody wants anyone shooting even .22 on their land

probably better getting off one of those maze cages

Shin00bie posted:

I know this is from a ways back, but how on earth can turkeys survive living with foxes, bears ans cougars? Turkeys are dumb as poo poo, I kind of assumed that they existed entirely on farms these days.

they look dumb and slow but they're very alert, pretty quick and can fly up to about tree level in a couple of seconds, but their population here is definitely never going to be squirrel tier

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

WatermelonGun posted:

what’s your go to squirrel recipe

usually do a pretty standard beef stew with the beef substituted with squirrel, i think i'd rather not compare it with beef and next time it's just gonna be fried in a pan

while we've got squirrel folk here: i can't find anything that proves fox squirrels can breed with grey squirrels but some people make the claim, if a squirrel has every single feature of a grey but a light brown belly, is a hybrid more likely than a rare new type of leucistic squirrel?

again this isn't changing a single hair on the tail or the pelt, just the belly, and they only reach the size of greys

if it's a new subspecies im gonna name them Sciurus puckins, god bless

• Locked thread