Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think the bad CGI was supposed to be part of the gag?

I think? Question mark?

It is as aside from Aikatsu and Precure most kids ( and late night) cgi is bad or awful.

Edit: actually to be fair good late night idol anime cgi is actually quite good like in Love Live Sunshine but it's just the bad really stands out hence it being part of the joke

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I come with a gift

https://twitter.com/JillianGonzolas/status/1053013195491864581?s=09

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think? Question mark?

It felt less like a joke and more like an affectionate homage. I suspect the change of tone this time around was an early indicator that Ai will be at the centre of the show's heavier material - she is, after all, someone who our main character looks up to, who died young, and who seems to have some genuine trauma related to the idol industry.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked this episode because, while not as gag-heavy as the previous two (which were, to be quite honest, complete grand-slams), it shows that, y'know, they've just been doing this for a couple of days. It's not magic.

I mean, maybe they're using magic (reanimated zombies, y'all), but... yeah. :shobon:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Still has Mamoru Miyano hamming it up at every opportunity, still good.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This episode really brings to mind the question "Where is the line between parodying something and just actually doing that thing?"

zombie land saga is the weird al of idol anime

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Was I the only one who was weirdly hoping they'd just do a regular idol thing for a bit after the crazy poo poo they pulled in previous eps? Because that was this episode pretty much exactly. Like all wrapped up in the "DO YOUR BEST!" sort of idea, just with a side of our weird zombie girls. Special thanks to THE LEGENDARY YAMADA TAE who definitely did her best despite, you know, not having much cognitive function.

I guess I'm pretty interested to see where they go from here, since if they continue to lean into more traditional idol stuff then the whole series could end up falling flat. But if this was just a deliberate homage to... well, just about every other show trying to do this kind of thing then it could be just another step on the road to something really amazing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What I like the most is that the girls have been performing by the seat of their pants literally the whole time, but the one performance where they all actually sorta practice and they both tank it + it has the weakest audience response so far is like I get that. Hell, you don't even need to be a performer to get it.

I love this goofy-rear end show.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did they really got Sailor Moon to voice the zombie that only talks in grunts lmao. This show is ftw and I love Necromancer Producer

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
It’s true this episode wasn’t as balls to the wall crazy as the previous ones, but I liked that. Give the audience a moment to catch their breath and allow the characters a little time to deal with some of their own internal crap. I wouldn’t want the entire series to be just like this episode, but the occasional break is nice IMO.

Also I really enjoyed the song

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
this is first idol show ive ever watched

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think? Question mark?

must be a love live reference

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

OnimaruXLR posted:

This episode really brings to mind the question "Where is the line between parodying something and just actually doing that thing?"

zombie land saga is the weird al of idol anime

It's pretty clear at this point that Zombieland Saga isn't a parody, just a goofy variation on the Idol show. Which is still good, mind you.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can roll with(and, hell, you can even say that I can dig) the goofy just fine, y'know. :3:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Zetsubou-san posted:

:same:

Honestly that was the only genre I had automatically ruled out when I tried to get into anime a year ago. Wark sold it pretty well though so I had to at least give it a try. I did not like episode 3 at all but the first 2 episodes were just too good to think thats where they go with the rest of them.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Julias posted:

It's pretty clear at this point that Zombieland Saga isn't a parody, just a goofy variation on the Idol show. Which is still good, mind you.

i think there's also a pretty solid case to be made that it's a satire on the inhumane brutality of the idol industry

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If it is, it's not a very pointed one since it's on the side of "it may be hard but it gives them meaning so it's worth it" unless there is a really neck-snapping twist coming up.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
If you like this show and want to watch it with fellow anigoons, we're streaming it weekly as part of the idolw@tch!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Bring your blades and come join us, Saturday at 1pm PDT/4pm EDT/8pm UTC, at https://cytu.be/r/super_idol_time!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the legendary seiyuu yamada tae seemed rather more animated this episode

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Zetsubou-san posted:

the legendary seiyuu yamada tae seemed rather more animated this episode

Yeah, this episode made me fan of the theory that she actually awakened a long time ago and has just too much fun being a zombie. :allears:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That scene reminded me of when I used to do that as a kid :)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, this episode made me fan of the theory that she actually awakened a long time ago and has just too much fun being a zombie. :allears:

my theory has been she's awakened and she just is like that, like for example why her pajamas are basically a prison outfit

but i don't know i feel like there's some meaning to her every day clothes looking vaguely like a convent outfit or maybe a medieval peasant? either way im pretty sure the joke is gonna be that she was just hosed up in her original life

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 20, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I hope Tae never changes. She's my favourite.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The first episode 100% sold me on the show: anime + undead + metal = totally appealing. Even if it's switching up genres every episode I'd say I'm hooked. Good anime.

Zetsubou-san posted:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I know it's irrelevant to the plot but I'm curious as to how they all died.

I'm assuming Saki was involved in an horrific motorcycle accident.

Also the show is good enough for me to put up with yet another 3DCG segment.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Azza Bamboo posted:

I know it's irrelevant to the plot but I'm curious as to how they all died.

I'm assuming Saki was involved in an horrific motorcycle accident.

Also the show is good enough for me to put up with yet another 3DCG segment.

They paid for those models; they're going to use them.

God help us all.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Last episode didn't do it for me. This was amazing though! And next episode looks to be just as incredible.

Also great to see a hotsprings episode that did not rely on cheesecake.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:allears:

Saki's taken a commanding lead in the Best Girl race, IMO. Like her dynamic with Sakura as #s 1 and 2 a whole lot.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Saki's great but I'm aware of my Biker Girl bias in all media so I didn't know if that was just me.

Tae is also a dark horse in the best girl race. I can't explain it but somehow I relate to her the most.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Saki is number 1, but Tae is Number 0.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

These faces are amazing.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Policeman A didn’t appear in this episode, thus this was easily the worst episode so far!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Exia posted:

Policeman A didn’t appear in this episode, thus this was easily the worst episode so far!

I hope he's in hell suffering after his attempt to rap in episode 2

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Mulderman posted:

These faces are amazing.

the face game was a++ this episode

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is that an actual giant chicken on the next episode preview

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah. Looks like a mascot, but also I can't help but look forward to THE LEGENDARY YAMADA TAE undoubtedly trying to eat them.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I was really hoping that Tae would start crawling on all fours chasing the now moving target, because that's some good horror movie poo poo, but I'm okay with this outcome.
This is the first idol show I've started watching and while I wasn't really happy with the gear switch to full idol times last week, I'm completely on board at this point. I guess those first episodes served well enough to get me invested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I expected Tae's head to come off, with all her bandages, but not Sakura. I guess hot water loosens stitches...