Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Was I the only one who was weirdly hoping they'd just do a regular idol thing for a bit after the crazy poo poo they pulled in previous eps? Because that was this episode pretty much exactly. Like all wrapped up in the "DO YOUR BEST!" sort of idea, just with a side of our weird zombie girls. Special thanks to THE LEGENDARY YAMADA TAE who definitely did her best despite, you know, not having much cognitive function.

I guess I'm pretty interested to see where they go from here, since if they continue to lean into more traditional idol stuff then the whole series could end up falling flat. But if this was just a deliberate homage to... well, just about every other show trying to do this kind of thing then it could be just another step on the road to something really amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I agree with pretty much all of that, some other stuff I've noticed as the episodes have progressed:
  • Saki has kind of become the "team mom" and protector of the other girls. I think it's mostly because she's grown to see the rest of the girls as her new "gang" that she needs to lead.
  • Tae, despite being unawakened, still seems to have developed some level of awareness and can read the mood to a degree, at least when food isn't directly involved. She responds to commands from the other girls and doesn't constantly go off the rails during the dance numbers or anything now. I imagine it probably took a fair amount of training (and probably treats) from the other girls though.
This may still be an "idol show" at its core, but drat if it isn't a really fun and interesting take on the genre.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I like that Tae appears to be getting smarter and can actually imitate vocalizations now. Also I lol'd pretty hard when they did the cheer after the huddle and you can hear her in there all like BLEEEEGH.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Homura and Sickle posted:

i loving lost it at the autotune joke and then immediately lost it again when they were shooting laserbeams out of their hands

and yeah the iron frill performance pretty much confirms for me the cg is a deliberate joke. i love this goddamn show

I'm beginning to think the CG usage is intentional as well. Any time they're doing performances that are like, sincere and/or off the cuff (like the death metal and rap battle, etc.) don't get 3D'd, and the more experienced idol groups like Iron Frill don't get it either. So they seem to be using it as a way to kind of represent their nervousness/inexperience with doing actual idol stuff. I think we're going to have to wait till the end to see if we get a full-blown non-3D performance from Franchouchou (like to show how far they've come) to really confirm if that's the case though.

Either way it still saves them production time in the end, so it's a pretty clever call on MAPPA's part.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

esselfortium posted:

Yeah, it was surprisingly unambiguous and positive to a degree that I'm not used to seeing in anime depictions of trans people. I'm really amazed.

But that of course hasn't stopped people from declaring "trap" all over the place... why are people like this?

Yeah I think it's partially just people continuing to use a term from the past and not realizing what connotations it has. I know I personally had to realize that at some point. Also some of them are just garbage and use it out of spite, so gently caress them.

I'm glad the show was able to deal with these themes in a poignant and respectful way, I definitely got a little bit of dust in my eyes during it. It's cool that the dance sequence got the 2D treatment too, I feel like they're saving that for times when it really matters.