Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"The apocalyptic scenario in Beverly Hills Chihuahua is what happens if AirBud goes too far"

my mom is a very smart woman with a PhD from Berkeley but when it comes to helicopters she just doesnt think theyre real. the first time she saw a helicopter was in a movie and she says its just a made up hollywood idea that caught on but dont actually work. I tried to show her a youtube video of one but because of the camera effect or whatever that makes it look like the blades arent spinning she just laughs at me and says "see they arent spinning." and dismisses it outright. She is normal in every other regard except for this and i dont know what to do. Im affraid of bringing it up in public for fear of making her look stupid and me a bully. what do i do? she has never seen a helicopter in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

I can fly my helicopter to your house OP and show her, provided that she gets on the helicopter and you do not.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

another idea: Buy a RC Helicopter and fly it around your mom's house. Tell her you made it and that helicopters are now real.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

galaxy brain idea: Go to an aircraft museum.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"The apocalyptic scenario in Beverly Hills Chihuahua is what happens if AirBud goes too far"

Putty posted:

another idea: Buy a RC Helicopter and fly it around your mom's house. Tell her you made it and that helicopters are now real.

I tried to use one of those mini drone toys and tried to explain that it's like 4 helicopters in 1 with the same principle but it didn't work. The lack of tail rotor I guess confused her. The museum she'll just say is an old movie prop and she has no interest in planes or that kinda stuff anyway to even go.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

I don't know OP, that would make me awfully worried about my mom. I know you say she's normal in every other way, but I'm not sure how someone could just dismiss something as common as a helicopter and not have something wrong.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

OP I'm very proud of you for sharing this difficult moment in your life

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

come to think of of it I have never seen a helicopter in real life either, i technically can not say with 100% certainty that they are real

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Still shitposting softly

Fun Shoe

Putty posted:

come to think of of it I have never seen a helicopter in real life either, i technically can not say with 100% certainty that they are real

Same but with my butthole

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

I don't know where you live but there are several spots I know of near where I live where you can go see helicopters take off/land. Take her there.

Or if you want to be an awesome son/daughter and have money to burn, book her a helicopter ride somewhere together with a nice lunch or something as part of a mother's day/birthday/christmas/festivus gift. A memorable and enlightening time for all!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Is the punchline to this story that you're a flat-earther and she's making fun of you with a helicopter analogy?

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows

So, she's never seen a news copter flying around looking at traffic?

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

A redheaded hussy who ought to be smacked and sent to bed without her supper

Soul Reaver posted:

I don't know where you live but there are several spots I know of near where I live where you can go see helicopters take off/land. Take her there.

Or if you want to be an awesome son/daughter and have money to burn, book her a helicopter ride somewhere together with a nice lunch or something as part of a mother's day/birthday/christmas/festivus gift. A memorable and enlightening time for all!

Thank you for giving these suggestions. I especially like the idea of taking her on a helicopter ride.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Your next post will be "im gay"

Illegal Hen

join the air force, work your way up the ranks then order a strafing run directly on her house

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

CharlestonJew posted:

join the air force, work your way up the ranks then order a strafing run directly on her house

Land on her lawn, step out and yell "this is me, mom! This is who I am! This is how things are, and they're not changing!"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

this doesn't actually seem like a problem op, you could go the rest of your life never addressing this issue and it would be just fine. no action is required from you.

taking her to see a helicopter sounds nice but make sure this is just a weird quirk and not a symptom of mental illness that will cause her to freak out if you confront her on it

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

little munchkin posted:

this doesn't actually seem like a problem op, you could go the rest of your life never addressing this issue and it would be just fine. no action is required from you.

if something can be done, then it must be done

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

I've decided I don't believe in them either

LOVE LOVE SKELETON
Nov 11, 2007

earth people i was born on jupiter

do NOT take your mother on a helicopter, they are only able to carry passengers who believe. best case it will buck her off before you get off the ground.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

Planes can fly, because they have wings. So can birds, and bats, and rats. Do helicopters have wings?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

But it soon became quite clear that while losers flourished everywhere, winners were a rare and reticent breed with preferences for camouflage and anonymity.

Biscuit Hider

CharlestonJew posted:

The Army has attack helicopters, Air Force helicopters don't have much in the way of armament.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Do you not have police copters, news copters or rescue/medical ones over there? I see helicopters like a couple times a week (I can see the hospital landing pad from my house).

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Putty posted:

Planes can fly, because they have wings. So can birds, and bats, and rats. Do helicopters have wings?

i dont believe in rats with wings.

(pigeon haters gently caress OFF!!!)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

get beefy bitch

lol if your city doesn't have police helicopters to harass the poor neighbourhoods 24/7

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Putty posted:

Lots of them have little dinky ones on their tail, vestigial no doubt

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

It's probably a good idea she doesn't believe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAHSb5WwADU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shithouse Dave posted:

Do you not have police copters, news copters or rescue/medical ones over there? I see helicopters like a couple times a week (I can see the hospital landing pad from my house).

Prob but she lives out in the far burbs where crime/newsworthy events aren't big enough to warrant helicopter coverage. I tried to snag a cellphone video of then president Obama's trio of helicopters flying over my house once but was too late. I will see if the hospital will let me take a video of their helicopter but it might be a security risk thing.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!

Does she believe in the V-22 Osprey?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 24, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Prob but she lives out in the far burbs where crime/newsworthy events aren't big enough to warrant helicopter coverage. I tried to snag a cellphone video of then president Obama's trio of helicopters flying over my house once but was too late. I will see if the hospital will let me take a video of their helicopter but it might be a security risk thing.

She didn't see one when she went to Berkeley? I've never been, but I have to assume there's an airport nearby. Suburbs or not, it seems impossible to have never seen a helicopter.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Wanna bet she is just trolling?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

evobatman posted:

Does she believe in the V-22 Osprey?

Hmm maybe. I'm not sure if she's ever seen one. She doesn't know a lot of military stuff but she does however believe in the harrier jets VTOL ability.

I doubt she's trolling. 12+ years is a long time to carry on one troll.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

At least you can say she's never been a helicopter mom.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I hear the CIA kidnaps people using black helicopters, perhaps they could help?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Bring up Senator Duckworth who was a helicopter pilot in Afghanistan who was shot down and crashed resulting in the loss of both her legs just above the knee. Ask your mom if Tammy chopped off her legs to keep the conspiracy alive.

Something Offal
Jan 11, 2018

Is anyone else trying to imagine what OP looks like in real life?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I assume your mom bought her dadís bullshit explanation about helicopters being fake (because telling little kids incredulous nonsense is hilarious). She was five or so when this happened and has never really had reason to disbelieve. Brain trauma or her just loving with you round out my top three picks.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

Something Offal posted:

Is anyone else trying to imagine what OP looks like in real life?

A helicopter

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

What field is her PhD in?

And ya just go to an airport that has helicopter operations going on if you really care to prove it. Is her rationale that spinning blades can't create lift? A lot of creationists like to trot that idea out (along with the line that science can't explain how bees fly).

My first time seeing a helicopter was in 4th grade when the national guard came to my school to show it off. I'm glad my education was well-rounded enough to include that.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Is the Gila copter a machine of pleasure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bqDDmA7cw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZjmPtyxzU

Have you tried showing her this video?

«2 »