Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Neuntausend
Sep 11, 2012

Wir werden alle sterben.

Problem description: Recently I'm having a bit of trouble with my memory running full. When I reboot up the system, everything is fine, but over time the memory load just keeps creeping up, no matter if I actually use the machine or not. Checking the taskmanager and resource monitor doesn't tell me much, as none of the running processes seems to be actually using the memory. It's just full for no reason. I noticed that in the taskmanager the non paged pool just grows bigger over time and never shrinks again until I reboot. Once it hits 2.0GB, the system becomes sluggish and sometimes completely unresponsive, even if the memory is not completely full yet.

Attempted fixes: Googling the issue brings up a lot of forum posts and Youtube videos all describing the same fix: Tweak the registry settings for the Windows Network Data Usage Monitor. This however seems to be a fix specifically for a problem with Killer NICs, which I don't have in my system. I tried it nonetheless, but it did not help. I also updated the drivers for my graphics card, audio, ethernet, wifi and bluetooth, since from what I found so far this is typically a driver problem. And while I was at it, I updated the BIOS as well. But still no dice.

Recent changes: I installed ASUS Aura Sync a few days ago. I already suspected it to be the culprit, so I removed it again. That did not fix the issue, so that was likely not it. I also have not disabled Windows 10 updates, so it does install updates every now and then. The only ones recent enough to have anything to do with this are KB4462930, KB4462919 and maybe KB4100347.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 1803 64 Bit

System specs:

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-I GAMING
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
2x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz
AMD Vega 64


Location: Germany

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Update: Turns out it was Aura after all. Apparently it didn't uninstall properly. I installed it again, then uninstalled it using IObit Uninstaller, and the problem was gone. Whether it was the IObit tool that made it work or if its uninstallation routine just happened to work properly this time around I do not know.

Neuntausend fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2018 around 14:25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

  • Locked thread