Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GarrBear
Sep 7, 2011

A Dragon Quest Draws Near!

What's a Dragon Quest?

Dragon Quest XI is the latest mainstream release in a long line of Dragon Quest games, from the very first game released on the Famicom in Japan back in 1986 (and on the NES for North America in 1989, where it was titled Dragon Warrior), which pre-dated other initial long-running instalments such as Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star, and can arguably be considered to be the first JRPG.

There are also various spin-off games from the 'main' line of Dragon Quest games, a good whack of which have not been published outside of Japan, but the few gems we have received include the Dragon Quest Monsters and Dragon Quest Heroes games on the Nintendo DS, and the Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest Builders games on modern consoles/PC.

Naturally, there are various anime, manga and novels about the series, since it has been running for over 30 years (anyone else feel old?), and the artwork for the game is by none other than Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame. I recently replayed Blue Dragon, where I took a shot every time I saw a face I could match to Dragon Ball. Needless to say, the man knows what he likes, and I got hammered. The game is hugely pretty, but I'll be shocked if there are anything other than the typical anime facetypes.

There are various LPs of games in the series, if you haven't yet seen the excellent ongoing LPs by FrankZP of the first three games in the series or Epicmissingno's Dragon Quest IX playthrough then you should. There are also various LPs in the archive if you want to see other entries in the main series and the spin-offs.

So Dragon Quest has a glowing track record, what makes you qualified?

I love Dragon Quest. I have played Dragon Quest 8 roughly a bajillion times. It was my first entry into the series, and the slightly goofy nature of the game with puns galore and actual Good GameplayTM immediately grabbed my attention. Since then I've played the other Dragon Quests , but admittedly my knowledge of those is not as in-depth when compared to 8.

I know there are nods to previous games in the series, so if I miss any please let me know, as I think little shout-outs like that are a nice way to pay homage to where the series has come from. Any trivia you want to drop is fine by me, fire away.

Which leads me to the one golden rule for this LP:

NO SPOILERS. PERIOD. DON'T TAG THEM, DON'T IMPLY THEM, DON'T POST THEM.

I have gone to great lengths to stay spoiler-free on this game, which has resulted in the Internet version of sticking my fingers in my ears and shouting "I can't hear you!" for weeks. I know there'll be a Big Bad (whose name I don't know), various party members, Metal Slimes and an Alchemy Pot, and THAT IS IT.

Any gameplay mechanics or plot we've seen so far are fair play - which doesn't include discussion of any characters/party members past the point of the LP.

I don't mind speculation but I'm playing this blind so don't do the nudge nudge hey this upcoming bit is good schtick. Don't be that guy, everyone hates that guy. This applies particularly if you've played the game already, then please don't be coy, I'll get there soon enough.

If you really can't keep it in your pants, there's a DQ megathread (which I haven't looked at in months and MY GOD IT IS KILLING ME) so go buck-wild there.
I plan to get through this quickly as a VLP, but it is my first LP so I'll take suggestions on board. I'll likely be streaming parts as well, so if you want to shout at my general stupidity I'll be posting on the Let's Stream thread and on Twitter as a heads-up on times, so join the madness.

I've replayed the first half an hour or so from my test post in the Sandcastle Ghost Castle, and I am a softly-spoken person so I think I've adjusted the audio levels accordingly, but if I'm too quiet let me know and I'll bump up my audio. I'm massively tempted to run this as an SSLP, but as self-imposed penance for not doing so I'll be pulling any screenshot worthy pics.

As noted, the name of the MC is open for change. Dave may be a name steeped in legend but give me an alternative (not DONGS, I know you people) and the funniest/best/most interesting wins. As mentioned, one easter egg I've found is that Erdrick is not accepted as a character name, so that's off the table too.

Part One: The Dragon Quest begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GarrBear
Sep 7, 2011

Reserved.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

I can't understand a word you're saying in that video. Your volume levels are way outta whack.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Name Robert just because the game will let you now with the 1.01 patch.

Hope you have a ton of fun!

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Crumps Brother posted:

I can't understand a word you're saying in that video. Your volume levels are way outta whack.

Quite. The music and game audio are entirely too loud.

On a different note: I hope that they turn this beautiful engine and game into a new Dragon Quest Monsters title... one that the West actually gets, for once!

While the game is best played in 90 minute to 2 hour chunks, as that's just enough time to get to the next big plot point or area, I think trimming videos down to 30 minutes might make it more watchable as well.

Chronische fucked around with this message at Oct 15, 2018 around 19:20