Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

As much as I believe no one should read or listen to Francesca in 2018 this made me wonder:

quote:

"I've been an Eli guy all along. He's had a wonderful career here. There is nothing left for him here now. This is a bad team with a bad offensive line and they are going nowhere this year. If you bring him back next year, you are going to have to rebuild around here. To do that for the short-term, I don't even know if that makes sense anymore. It probably doesn't on the last year of his contract. The best thing he could do is go hook up with some team that maybe he could help. Sit and wait if somebody gets hurt."

If Eli happened to be cut today and free to go wherever how many team would bite? There are probably some that should, but is that number like, 5 or 2 or....less than either of those numbers? I guess if we make this a thought exercise and just erase Eli from the Giants roster like he'd never been there the Giants should be one of the teams looking to sign him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Making my prediction in a week 6 NFL aftermath thread.

The Giants will draft Drew Lock.

Which is a shame for both the Giants and Drew Lock.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

but were they 2-10 and trade Josh Gordon levels of mystifying? Because that's where the gently caress the Browns are.

I don't know what his worst game was targets to receptions, but I feel like this guy is the go-to first round receiver who couldn't catch a cold.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

there's poo poo on all money, that's why cotton fuckass material like the US uses is trash. gotta get those sleek plastic bullshit ones like Canada

poo poo and cocaine, which says something about the american economy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

the rams can’t even stop bad teams from running all over them lol

To be fair if there's one aspect of the Broncos offense that is not only decent but actually pretty good it's the running game.

But I do agree the Rams run defense is not what they theoretically should be.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Just read that the Pats didn’t have a single penalty called against them last night? drat

I think there might have been a false start? Maybe it was illegal procedure and declined. There were 3 or 4 off the top of my head that were declined because Andy preferred 3rd and 10 to 2nd and 15, stuff like that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

It's Mahomes, at least until we see Reid not choke away a playoff game by ordering his offense to complete a 2 minute drill in 7-10 minutes.

To be fair I think it's partially Reid and Mahomes together. It's not like Andy could ask Alex Smith (or basically anyone except Rodgers) to do the things Mahomes can do. I was a little surprised that they basically turned the offense over to Mahomes right away at the start of the year, Kareem Hunt is still on the team and they could have been doing a bunch of grindy poo poo early to protect him.

But yeah, if the defense doesn't get 'em--which I think it will--I fully expect clock management to be the problem whenever they start losing a few/flush out of the playoffs.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The real, huge problem with the KC defense is that their new shiny ILB duo of Reggie Ragland and Anthony Hitchins flat out blows, and they are blowing all their run and cover assignments constantly. Safeties will be bad until their top 3 of Berry, Sorensen and Murray return from injury.

Yeah the inside linebackers are by far the most disappointing part of this team unless you consider Berry's 'day to day' thing to be it. I see why they thought Hitchens would be good but in practice he's terrible. I think a lot of Chiefs fans were way too high on Ragland in the off season based on a few games last year, although I guess I'm not sure his knee is even close to right.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 15, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The problem was not having those timeouts which gave them no chance to get the ball back. I can't remember but what did they use them for in the second half?

Are you actually blaming clock management for that loss? I don't think it had anything to do with that, and you absolutely can't not take that Hill TD down 7. What lost the game (other than defense) was not scoring at least one TD in the first half instead of a field goal and leaving 3 points on the board because of the interception at the end of the first half. Or the first interception which led directly to 7 for the Pats I guess.

Anyway both time outs were taken when the Pats got the ball back with around 3:50 left in the 4th, which seems like a decent enough use for them. As it turns out they should have let the Pats run it down to two minutes but :shrug:

e: to be specific after looking it up they took them at 3:30 and 3:25 after the Pats were already in field goal range.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 15, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Though in that situation, I think the problem was more, why was Gronk being single covered by that bottom of the roster dude?

Seriously, and that's the bottom of a...shall we say unimpressive defensive roster. Plus he's only been here like a week.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think the real reason the chiefs lost is the rookie defensive player that let tom brady go when had him on a dead to rights sack because everyone is afraid of tackling tom brady too hard.

That was ultimately meaningless, the Chiefs were called on a defensive hold on the play and it would have been first down from the two. I guess you could maybe squint hard enough to imagine the Pats not scoring from there but I can't see it happening.

Although it's sure as hell a very 2018 thing to happen with a defensive lineman and a QB.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah the left arm around Brady's hip isn't Brady breaking the tackle or because Speaks twisted himself out of the play, he just lets him go.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

OxySnake posted:

What the hell happened to Carr outside of coaching?

Broke his hand, broke his leg. Started fearing pressure like his brother.

He's not even close to as broken as David was yet and can still be fine, but I think that's the main thing other than coaching.

e: worth noting that Cooper turning into a pumpkin last year hasn't helped him at all

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JiUC posted:

Can someone explain what the Pats were doing on kickoffs all night?

To be fair they had a lot of kickoffs to work with last night. But on the ones people are complaining about they're mostly trying to drop the ball at the one after kicking it high and force a short return. There was also one where they tried to squib it past the upbacks and have it die around the 15 in a dead zone to stop a return but Ware made a nice snag and got it out to the 35 or 40.

They still had 4 or 5 where they just booted it deep, probably shoulda just done that all night.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I kinda got the feeling this was the case but it's nice that someone less lazy than I am did the work on it:

quote:

Reid noted that after the 7:20 mark in the fourth quarter, the Patriots just about doubled their passing yardage for the whole game. We checked, and Reid was right. Until the 42-yard pass to Chris Hogan on third-and-one with 7:20 remaining in the game, the Patriots had passed for only 165 yards. They finished with 327.

Notably that's the drive after the Chiefs took the lead. If the Chiefs would have connected on a couple/three TDs instead of field goals early Brady might have broken some records, since the Chiefs clearly weren't capable of doing poo poo to stop either the run or the pass. The Pats just didn't decide to pass until late.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

A new candidate enters the ring:

If you're going this direction then Charles Haley deserves a mention. I mean he didn't murder anyone but that just means if you were his teammate he was able to play a lot longer and continue to whip out his cock and jerk off in front of you every week.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 16, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

once the combine and pro day hit people really were expecting him to be like a 5th round pick as a favor to his tape. 5.1 40 time, 8'8 broad jump, 16 bench press reps.

Didn't he blow off training for the combine or did people just say that because his numbers were so awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Flikken posted:

Myles got held while Rivers had his foot in the end zone.....

That's not how that penalty works as regards safeties fwiw. It's where the penalty occurs, not where the quarterback is at the time.

I saw that too and thought it was a safety live, but I didn't actually see the replay to see if it was.

• Locked thread