Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As I said before, your critique misses the point so much that I am not sure how to respond to it without taking you back to the basics of critical theory, but hey, I will try

You seem to be operating under the assumption that my criticism of Robinson's life having value only in relation to the white protagonists is a criticism based on historical context. Your response suggests you believe I am critiquing racism in a book set during a period of racism, and asking the book to apply achronistic behavior from the characters. This is completely missing the point.

There is nothing historical about my criticism. The issues with the objectification are not because an era, but because of the perspective applied by the author. It is not society that devalues Tom Robinson, it is the author and the narration that does so. By taking the historical realities of racism and applying the narrative consequence of them to their effect on the white protagonists, the novel devalues Tom Robinson. The value of a black man is not in his ability to enlighten a white person either through suffering or friendship. This is the delusion most mainstream treatments on race seem to operate under. Its a story about racism for the sake of a white audience.

The "its historical" argument falls flat specifically when you consider books written in and about this era have avoided this issue. Native Son and Invisible Man both deal with this era and the historical realities of it without reducing the meaning of a black man's life to the enlightenment of a white person. The failure of the novel is that Tom Robinson exists as a character for the sake of Atticus, Scout, and the white reader. He is not a developed person whose life has consequence outside of those effects.

it seems to me as though one could make the point that effectively communicating the nastiness of racism is most valuable when it communicates to racists, at least those that may be driven to reconsider such as the likely audience for your typical dixieland novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

uh, getting the feeling that you're being a little all-or-nothing about this

i put it to you that minimising reactionary opposition to such empowering makes it easier to accomplish

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Certainly, but that is missing the point. The reason why I am framing my criticism so harshly is because the trope has been normalized and must be de-centered from the cultural conversation. The issue is not that appeals to white guilt cannot be even marginally effective, its that the white guilt appeal has been fossilized as the norm of racial narratives. The problem is that we have raised the "white person learns racism is bad" narrative as the central narrative of racial reconciliation and primarily because it is the narrative which least endangers white hegemony.

I am not saying no book can or should focus on a white person's growth, I am saying that our culture privileges these stories as the norm because they are the least dangerous to the status quo and that we should challenge this rather than just accept it.

but this doesn't seem like a critique of the book as it stands, it seems like a sort of meta-critique of the society which values such books

idk it feels a little unfair to say "the premise of this book is bad" when it's really, well, not, it's just not what one might justifiably prefer

Ben Nevis posted:

I'm not sure that anyone reads TKaM or other similar books and thinks about how they're part of a large system of institutional racism. I mean, "Maybe I should be nicer to the valet" or whatever is a beneficial realization, but not really the sort that drives any change.

iirc TKaM specifically is occasionally credited with opening people's eyes to how hosed up the american legal system is re: racism but i cannot find any quotes to back this up so eh

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

still not convinced that a novel whose project is admitted to be legitimate can be accused of being bad because its project is not better

like, i get the point that it's feeding into a doctrine of anti-racism which you see as misguided, but that seems to be a matter, more or less of fashion

it seems to me as though the realistic choice here is not this book or a better book, it's this book or nothing - lee's overarching project and framing devices rely so much on the white perspective that i can't really see any way to do what mel wants, and i very much doubt that lee could have written anything else than that white perspective

at this point one could say ok then read someone else, but that again makes little sense because people have certain preferences/imo it's a good enough novel for reasons of prose and structure and other elements that it's not really immediately replacable

effectively the end point of that critique would be simply delegitimising white objections to racism because of what amounts to indelible racial loyalties, which is really iffy, even before really going into the sheer weirdness that is american racial ideology

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i do not agree that the moral case against racism is irrelevant

e. to elaborate: i accept and agree that the republican party is much worse than the kkk re: racism even though they are personally much less racist. discrediting the kkk is still a worthy cause

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SilkyP posted:

Is literature and hence critical analysis of literature less important now than in times past?

its all literature op