Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
So is this the new literature thread or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
What's the consensus on Michel Faber? Under the Skin and The Book of Strange New Things are the closest thing to 'literary sci fi' that I've ever encountered.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

2.) gently caress the Author.

Cheers

i very agree, and even feel this way when it comes to my own writing.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
nah

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

jagstag posted:

nah, it should be taken into consideration. using a text to project whatever you want is insanely the wrong way to look at a text

in case you didn't know, people are different from one another, and when reading the same 'text' may experience different feelings, and find different meanings, since all readers have different memories and different lives from one another. If someone reads metamorphoses and thinks 'gently caress yes, die stupid bug. that shithole gregor was a leech on his family and I'm glad he's dead' then good for them. Why do you think you are so special to tell them they shouldn't enjoy it that way.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

jagstag posted:

im not even talking about "essential readings" or w/e. yes you can look at anything in multiple different angles but to say that you can have a reading of every story in anyway you want is completely wildly off base

do you think that people read a book, and as they turn each page think 'hmmm, how shall i interpret this, what do i want to think about it.. hmmm... which interpretation shall i pick.' ?? People read the words, and they think what they think and feel what they feel based on their own individual life experiences. saying that 'you cant read the story any way you want' is so bizarre to me I can't even tell what you mean by it. what do you mean by it, actually, i should probably ask before deciding that you're dumb.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

jagstag posted:

why do you feel like one's own feelings supercedes another

i don't. i think you can talk about different ways to interpret or read a book. i think some ways will identify with way more people than other ways. some ways may only make sense to that one individual. but saying any individual's experience or interpretation of a book is 'wrong' is like saying i shouldn't feel terribly sad while looking at the mona lisa because she reminds me of my dead mother, because that's not what the artist meant by it, and is not what anyone else on earth experiences when looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

jagstag posted:

so if i was to say that a modest proposal was actually pro baby eating you would say that the reading is weak/inconsequential and not wrong?

im pretty sure this is at least partly how the current resurgence of nazis came about. people taking satire and 'irony' and reading it literally. so no, not even necessarily inconsequential.