Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good luck on your reading journey! If you want books that are considered good literature and also very entertaining to read anything by Nabokov is a safe bet.

I really should read Lincoln in the Bardo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Master and Margarita is real great.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A professor I had claimed that the methods of New Criticism allowed for there to be objective readings of texts. The class was a very complicated game of students pooling their information about what his sources for interpretations were so we could write our essays with the exact same interpretation, otherwise we'd fail. A guy who was a physics major was actually the best at guessing his exact views, so got the highest grade.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He was pretty intense. He has this quote from Richard Rorty emblazoned on his website, and was relentlessly critical of the other professors in the Department (he didn't have to worry about them hating him cause he had tenure):

" I think that the English departments have made it possible to have a career teaching English without caring much about literature or knowing much about literature but just producing rather trite, formulaic, politicized readings of this or that text. This makes it an easy target. There's a formulaic leftist rhetoric that's been developed in the wake of Foucault, which permits you to exercise hermeneutics of suspicion on anything from the phonebook to Proust. It's an obviously easy way to write books and articles, and it produces work of very low intellectual quality. That makes this kind of thing an easy target from the outside. It permits people like Roger Kimball and D'Souza to say these people aren't really scholars, which is true."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

vandalism posted:

So is this guy a rare non left literature professor? Is he critical of this... hermeneutic? I'm kinda lost here.

That quote is from Richard Rorty who was a liberal but who thought injecting identity politics and cultural studies into literature analysis was destroying the field and creating a lot of irrelevant readings.

While I enjoyed a lot of the English courses I took I learned the most from that professors class. Other instructors who allowed identity politics to influence their teaching seemed more interested in making connections between the text and current political movements and struggles as opposed to understanding the works on their own. Maybe they felt that gave the English field some relevance as a tool for discussing current social trends since it couldn’t provide the applied skills in the workforce of other majors.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 17, 2018