Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I've got this motherboard:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128835

I've had issues in the past with having a bunch of I/O happening to a single 2GB WD drive, but only when I was doing stuff like writing 5 files at 10mbit/sec at once.

I just got gigabit internet, and the second I experimented with a large file download, it went up to 350mb/sec before Windows 10 started throwing I/O errors at me.

I think the hard drive I have is a piece of poo poo that I need to replace, but I'd like some suggestions about what my disk setup should optimally be; goal is to be able to run, say, a bunch of torrents while also doing other things on the computer. If there are single drives I can buy that will be more resilient than the refurbished bullshit I've got now, I am happy to start there -- but if I really need to be looking at doing some kind of RAID setup then I don't mind buying a few drives and a RAID controller.

Specific hardware suggestions are appreciated!

edit: lol holy poo poo am I out of date. It looks like the thing to do is buy a PCIe m.2 NAND controller and a couple 1TB m.2 drives, does that sound right?

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, don't do RAID in this instance. You'll get much better performance with large SSD drives compared to an older HD.

• Locked thread