Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...
I've been practicing HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) for 10+ years now. I run a small school up in northern New England but spend time all over the East Coast working with other schools and doing community stuff.

Mostly specializing in Harnischfechten, but of course do a bunch of Blossfechten.

I mostly study the Masters "trained" by Johannes Liechtenauer but do have a keen interest in Fiore.

I've also been doing a lot of HEMS (Historical Equestrian Martial Sport), which has been interesting, especially in armour.

This is from a few years ago during a tournament in NY. I'm on the right:

This was my old harness, that got stolen a couple years ago, still hasn't been found. I'm not wearing voiders, but I do have them.

Here is my current harness (based off of the Armour of Count VonShott)
I'm on the left:

here is the armour I based it off of:

Don't mind the tasset hung up on the saddle here (big image) https://i.imgur.com/V8YDy8H.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
drat that's cool poo poo dude

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Farg posted:

drat that's cool poo poo dude

Thanks.

Its not the SCA, ACL/BoTN or such. We are using the actual historical documents to recreate the art as it was used (well as much as possible, my life will never be in danger from someone else swinging a sword/dagger/spear/poleaxe in anger).

You would be incredibly surprised on the amount of overlaps the Italian and German sword arts have with Japan.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yep, we've actually met a few times! I'm not fencing much right now but hoping to free up some time and get back into it.

There's quite a few people in the fencing thread doing HEMA and HEMA adjacent activities.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693186&pagenumber=64&perpage=40

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

P-Mack posted:

Yep, we've actually met a few times! I'm not fencing much right now but hoping to free up some time and get back into it.

There's quite a few people in the fencing thread doing HEMA and HEMA adjacent activities.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693186&pagenumber=64&perpage=40

Oh nice! Thanks!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EvilMerlin posted:

Thanks.

Its not the SCA, ACL/BoTN or such. We are using the actual historical documents to recreate the art as it was used (well as much as possible, my life will never be in danger from someone else swinging a sword/dagger/spear/poleaxe in anger).

You would be incredibly surprised on the amount of overlaps the Italian and German sword arts have with Japan.

Body mechanics are the same the world 'round. There's only so many efficient ways to stick a bit of metal into another meatsack, after all. :v:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Body mechanics are the same the world 'round. There's only so many efficient ways to stick a bit of metal into another meatsack, after all. :v:

Yep, I tell all my students this.

There are only so many ways a human can swing a meter long piece of sharpened steel...

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

Though at least with folks who use steel, there's a very keen movement in the SCA's fencing community focusing on the historic manuals. (Mostly Italian locally to me, but there are a few German-focused folks nearby in CT.)

At least around here, there's quite a bit of crossover with the HEMA and WMA folks, which is a super good thing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hi op
i'm on the left

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

HEY GUNS posted:

hi op
i'm on the left

Do you have a roof rack for that pike?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Do you have a roof rack for that pike?
they are tied into bundles and carried by a dude with a roof rack

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

EvilMerlin posted:

Yep, I tell all my students this.

There are only so many ways a human can swing a meter long piece of sharpened steel...

This saying annoys me. Because principles and mindset make a massive different and will affect fights more than specific techniques.

I do 18th century broadsword. And I am quite a bit more aggressive than most people in my club when fighting. If technique was everything, then once you've fought one person from a club, you've fought them all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hazzard posted:

This saying annoys me. Because principles and mindset make a massive different and will affect fights more than specific techniques.

I do 18th century broadsword. And I am quite a bit more aggressive than most people in my club when fighting. If technique was everything, then once you've fought one person from a club, you've fought them all.

You appear to have missed the point entirely, and then illustrated it via diagram, all in one post. Impressive.

Nothing in the discussion said anything about technique being the be-all and end-all, but that the principals of swordsmanship are going to be dictated by human body mechanics and the construction of the weapon being used, which will be true regardless of culture. There is a correct way to perform any strike, from a physics standpoint.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I do Bolognese sidesword and German longsword at EHMS in Helsinki, Finland. I did the basic course of Fiore years ago, but only recently I have been able to commit the time and money to train properly. I competed at Helsinki Bolognese Open in this August (got my rear end handed to me but it was dang good practise). I did epee and kendo earlier, but found HEMA styles more to my liking.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Hazzard posted:

And yet, we go right back to the fact that the stances are more similar than dissimilar. Thank you for proving my point.

There are only so many ways a human being can hold a sharp stick and use it for both offense and defense....

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Ataxerxes posted:

I do Bolognese sidesword and German longsword at EHMS in Helsinki, Finland. I did the basic course of Fiore years ago, but only recently I have been able to commit the time and money to train properly. I competed at Helsinki Bolognese Open in this August (got my rear end handed to me but it was dang good practise). I did epee and kendo earlier, but found HEMA styles more to my liking.

You don't happen to know a fellow named Kristian do you? He is from that area and is a rather good friend whom I've had the pleasure of fighting a few times...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

HEY GUNS posted:

hi op
i'm on the left

English Civil War era?

Man, that's a great soft kit...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvilMerlin posted:

English Civil War era?

Man, that's a great soft kit...

30yw. My sword and dagger are 1620s and my clothing is early 1630s. Thanks very much! I sewed it myself and it's gratifying to see people like it :)

if you open the second picture in another tab and zoom in you can see catholic embroidery on my neckcloth

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 22, 2018

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

HEY GUNS posted:

30yw. My sword and dagger are 1620s and my clothing is early 1630s. (There should be a jerkin under my jacket to hold my pants up but I don't have one yet.)

Thanks very much! I sewed it myself and it's gratifying to see people like it :)

if you open the second picture in another tab and zoom in you can see catholic embroidery on my neckcloth

Oh NICE! I saw a re-enactment of the Battle of White Mountain a while back and it was great!

Thats some drat fine softkit.

I don't do a heck of a lot out of the armour, so other than my braies, tabbed undershirt, joined hosen and arming doublet... I don't have much. I do have a great acorn hat however.

For the armour, are you mostly doing 3/4th armours? Rapier for sidearm? Or have you started the transition to side sword? This is way out of my typical time frame so I'm not all that familiar!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvilMerlin posted:

Oh NICE! I saw a re-enactment of the Battle of White Mountain a while back and it was great!

Thats some drat fine softkit.

I don't do a heck of a lot out of the armour, so other than my braies, tabbed undershirt, joined hosen and arming doublet... I don't have much. I do have a great acorn hat however.

For the armour, are you mostly doing 3/4th armours? Rapier for sidearm? Or have you started the transition to side sword? This is way out of my typical time frame so I'm not all that familiar!
sick. i've been to white mountain, if it was the right year you would have seen me.

my sidearm is a rapier even though that's rare for common footsoldiers, since my character brought it from home. i use it for fencing class when i'm not reenacting so i wanted something that was at least kind of long. what i ended up with was an annoying little sword that's too long to comfortably fight with and too short to comfortably duel with. whatever, it's mine. my dagger is also italian style but plainer than the sword, and i got a polish guy to make the sheath for the dagger.

the transition to side sword is at least 25 years away--common soldiers would have had rapierlikes or short fat double-sided quasi-rapier-things called felddegen or haudegen nowadays. either siivola or artaxerxes has one. there was not much standardization.

my armor is breast and back with tassets and a helmet, and none of them fit. heavy cav would have had 3/4 plate.

i haven't reenacted as much as i would have liked in the past two years because i'm trying to get a job that will justify the travel. here's hoping for next year.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 22, 2018

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

HEY GUNS posted:

sick. i've been to white mountain, if it was the right year you would have seen me.

my sidearm is a rapier even though that's rare for common footsoldiers, since my character brought it from home. i use it for fencing class when i'm not reenacting so i wanted something that was at least kind of long. what i ended up with was an annoying little sword that's too long to comfortably fight with and too short to comfortably duel with. whatever, it's mine. my dagger is also italian style but plainer than the sword, and i got a polish guy to make the sheath for the dagger.

the transition to side sword is at least 25 years away--common soldiers would have had rapierlikes or short fat double-sided quasi-rapier-things called felddegen or haudegen nowadays. either siivola or artaxerxes has one. there was not much standardization.

my armor is breast and back with tassets and a helmet, and none of them fit. heavy cav would have had 3/4 plate.

i haven't reenacted as much as i would have liked in the past two years because i'm trying to get a job that will justify the travel. here's hoping for next year.

I had no idea about felddegen and haudegen

That's great!

I'm just starting to get a bit more in to the heavy joust (full poplar lances with coronels) as of late, but I really need to get a better helm. Although my helm is based on a historical helm, its just not a very safe helm and gorget combo in the modern world...

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

EvilMerlin posted:

And yet, we go right back to the fact that the stances are more similar than dissimilar. Thank you for proving my point.

There are only so many ways a human being can hold a sharp stick and use it for both offense and defense....

I'm not objecting to the point that there's limits in the difference of technique, but people always seem to have usually unspoken assertion that all fighting and martial arts are the same. As if learning Kenjutsu and any European Tradition. But people parrot "only so many ways to swing a sword" and think they understand everything.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Hazzard posted:

I'm not objecting to the point that there's limits in the difference of technique, but people always seem to have usually unspoken assertion that all fighting and martial arts are the same. As if learning Kenjutsu and any European Tradition. But people parrot "only so many ways to swing a sword" and think they understand everything.

Well lets be honest. People also think that katanas are made of some uber steel that can cut thru machine gun barrels as well... or that Kendo shows you how to kill people with a sword...

Yes, there is a difference between kenjutsu and HEMA, but they do have a lot of overlaps, because human.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

You don't happen to know a fellow named Kristian do you? He is from that area and is a rather good friend whom I've had the pleasure of fighting a few times...

I certainly do and he is really, really good with longsword.

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 23, 2018

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

Yeah, I have what is called a "Swedish sword", made en masse in the Netherlands on the orders of the king of Sweden. I'll post a picture of my re-enactment (Savolax infantry regiment of the 30yw) stuff when I'm home.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ataxerxes posted:

Yeah, I have what is called a "Swedish sword", made en masse in the Netherlands on the orders of the king of Sweden. I'll post a picture of my re-enactment (Savolax infantry regiment of the 30yw) stuff when I'm home.
right, because your character is a conscript and mine is an italian who ended up in the swedish army for Reasons

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Ataxerxes posted:

I certainly do and he is really, really good with longsword.

Yes, yes he is. Haven't seen him since last summer at a local event.

We had a great few bouts.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

EvilMerlin posted:

I have been practicing Bolognese side sword from the beginning of this year and just started Liechtenauer style longsword as well. It's fun to notice the similarities (like, what's the difference between a good Oberhau and a good Mandritto? In the second you're not holding the sword with your both hands and that's pretty much it). However the guard positions seem to be pretty different. Almost none of the Bolognese style guards hold the sword as close to your own body as the Liechtenauer style does. I'm not up to actually sparring with a longsword yet so I haven't got a great idea of why that is.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I came in here to call you nerds and ask you about getting beaten by any chump with a spear, but that's some pretty cool outfittery and you already have a spear.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I'd love to get into HEMA. I live in the Twin Cities for reference. I haven't really looked into clubs that much as I fear that the cost to start is too high. I also fear it because I'm way to aggressive when the weapon is your full body and armor with a pointy thing.

Is full contact allowed? Full strength? My first instinct, when covered in armor, would be to deflect the first strike and put the other to ground. Come in way to hard. I've watched many videos, but it seems to be a lot of dancing. In armor, I see no reason to not knock the other fellow to the ground and then get to scrapping.

I assume there are rules, but, if true reenactment, I would think a person should come hard. I'm a big guy, I worry that I could hurt someone. But, I recognize that finesse will kill from the loose points of the armor. But what happens if you can swing mass enough to beat finesse? A 10lb sledge will put you down regardless of the guard.

Is this stuff discussed? Are there matches of hand and a half sword plus shield vs two handed?

Educate me please.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mostlygray posted:

I'd love to get into HEMA. I live in the Twin Cities for reference. I haven't really looked into clubs that much as I fear that the cost to start is too high. I also fear it because I'm way to aggressive when the weapon is your full body and armor with a pointy thing.

Is full contact allowed? Full strength? My first instinct, when covered in armor, would be to deflect the first strike and put the other to ground. Come in way to hard. I've watched many videos, but it seems to be a lot of dancing. In armor, I see no reason to not knock the other fellow to the ground and then get to scrapping.

I assume there are rules, but, if true reenactment, I would think a person should come hard. I'm a big guy, I worry that I could hurt someone. But, I recognize that finesse will kill from the loose points of the armor. But what happens if you can swing mass enough to beat finesse? A 10lb sledge will put you down regardless of the guard.

Is this stuff discussed? Are there matches of hand and a half sword plus shield vs two handed?

Educate me please.

Your first instinct would probably get you punched in the face with a basket hilt. I know that's one of the first things Silver's backsword suggests when someone tries to grapple. Most of the period treatises have a word or two about wrestling in them, but it isn't much practiced with weapons included in some places because it's rare in HEMA practice for people to go that far for safety reasons. Other clubs train it with more or less realistic resistance depending on the opinion of their instructor.

As far as the 10lb sledge, ever spent five minutes straight swinging one? Think you can block a shot with it and riposte? :v: Maces and warhammers used for fighting men in plate (against whom a bludgeon could do good work where a sword required more effort) average about 4lbs in surviving examples, and are balanced a hell of a lot differently than a sledgehammer.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 4, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I came in here to call you nerds and ask you about getting beaten by any chump with a spear, but that's some pretty cool outfittery and you already have a spear.
hi

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

mostlygray posted:

But what happens if you can swing mass enough to beat finesse?
you'll get tired eventually

edit: i know i was flippant but the thing about fighting isn't doing an insanely strong thing once for five minutes, it's walking there...and getting enough food while you're travelling...and not getting sick...and then doing whatever fighty thing you do, if necessary for hours.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 4, 2018

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

This post would be massively improved with the guy who had the Mat Cauthon av/name. :v:

Ok, the book barn leak has been fixed now.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
:siren: THIS IS GORY. DO NOT CLICK ON THIS UNLESS YOU ARE OK WITH SEEING A DUDE'S (i think it's his) LIVER AND A LOT OF BLOOD.:siren:

:nws: https://www.reddit.com/r/fightporn/comments/9u0k18/an_urban_machete_fight/ :nws:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Spears are great weapons. Easy to learn, and forever to master... but drat they are effective against almost anything.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

mostlygray posted:

Educate me please.

HEMA isn't hard to get into. All schools will have loaner gear. The Only thing you need to start is a mask (about 100 bucks for a good 700newton one) and your own sword. Different schools different rules. Anyone who has been in my school for more than 9 weeks and has passed the blue shirt test is required to have their own feder (from a few places, they are between 200 and 500 bucks). A feder is a practice sword, its good to do almost anything with. And a set of decent lacrosse gloves (they won't be good for tournaments, but they are enough to start with). Oh and if you are dude, a loving cup. Trust me a sword to the junk via any of the three-wounders is loving painful at best and testicle exploding at worse.

As you get drawn into the art you will need a better set of gloves/gauntlets, a fencing jacket for HEMA and a few other goodies.

Yeah it can be expensive as you go on but start and see where it goes.

We are NOT reenactors, we are doing the same thing Karate, judo, kungfu and any other Eastern Martial Art does.

For those of us in armour, the rules are the same, its full contact, and scoring is done by hits to our openings. With my kit that is under my arm, palms of my hands and my groin and back of legs/arse.

Wrestling (ringen in my art) is common for both in and out of armour. It is a core requirement to do our art.

For HEMA there are all sorts of periods of weapons, meaning from the knigtly/great sword of the late 1200's into the mid 1300's. The longsword/hand and a half sword/bastard sword from 1300 to 1550 or so, and then all the other stuff from dagger to poleaxe. Since my concentration on history and learning is from 1400 to 1550, I focus only on ringen, dagger, longsword, spear and poleaxe with most of my time focused on longsword and poleaxe.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Liquid Communism posted:

Your first instinct would probably get you punched in the face with a basket hilt. I know that's one of the first things Silver's backsword suggests when someone tries to grapple. Most of the period treatises have a word or two about wrestling in them, but it isn't much practiced with weapons included in some places because it's rare in HEMA practice for people to go that far for safety reasons. Other clubs train it with more or less realistic resistance depending on the opinion of their instructor.

The German side of the house has lots of info on ringen, especially via Ott the Jew (Ott Jud) which goes into good detail about ringen. Ott very much was the master of ringen and is mentioned frequently by the Liechtenauer masters.

Most of the schools in my area cover ringen am schwert. But most have kampfringen (Judo) well covered and there are several folks in the Eastern US that specialize in it, especially in the Atlanta and Virginia (northern) areas.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mostlygray posted:

Educate me please.

If you're more interested in backsword and broadsword, I've heard good things about the Minnesota Broadsword Academy, who teach the Cateran Society broadsword curriculum, which starts with later period regimental broadsword, then moves back into works from the Jacobite era.

Edit: A bit of a video demonstration of the very basics of Regimental Broadsword. It's a lot later than most HEMA, being Napoleonic era, but still pretty cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPpnjmUR22c

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

EvilMerlin posted:

Spears are great weapons. Easy to learn, and forever to master... but drat they are effective against almost anything.

I prefer a broom personally, but to each their own. It's less pokey but sometimes you get spiderwebs in their eyes