Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Verisimilidude posted:

Lol. It’s important to note that Your Friend A Dog Whistle has been probated/banned more times than I care to count for blatant racism (take a peak at his post history), and routinely argued against you if you brought up the obvious examples of racism within the hema/sca communities. Really glad he’s perma’d.

Fun fact, if you look at his rap sheet this is not the first time he's been perma'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Verisimilidude posted:

I know a group in Jersey city if you’re down for the commute, and I think there’s at least one other (northern) jersey group as well. Let me know and I’ll put you in touch.
Liberty Sword Club?!

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Liquid Communism posted:

Fun fact, if you look at his rap sheet this is not the first time he's been perma'd.

Its loving 2019. How the gently caress do racist people even exist, especially with the availability of the loving internet...

Then again, the internet is a good place for the racist fucks to gather....

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Uziel posted:

Liberty Sword Club?!

You got NJHFA in Pompton Lakes, Liberty Sword Club in Jersey City, NYHFA in Manhattan, something in Astoria, and a smaller club in Queens (Rogue Fencing).

I can speak for NHJFA, NYHFA, Liberty Sword Club and a bit about Rogue. All of them have drat good instructors and drat good people.

Rogue broke off from NYHFA not too long ago and while the club leader can be... well who she is... they still have a solid foundation.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I do NYHFA and can speak a little bit about them (although I’m just a newb).

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Liberty Sword Club is mostly NYHFA people who got tired of schlepping into NYC all the time. They're chill.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This thread is secretly like 60% nyhfa and former nyhfa people lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Apparently lol.

Did you know New York is a rather large city?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dangit. My local HEMA club is going to a scottish broadsword and targe seminar, and since I haven't been able to get a foot in the door I'm going to miss it. Rue on this work schedule.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Verisimilidude posted:

This thread is secretly like 60% nyhfa and former nyhfa people lol

Don't look at me.

I'm Plow in the North!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
HEMA is cool. I haven't gotten into it yet but it's on my todo list when I have the time/funds to start some of the classes at my local outpost. I attended the Chicago Swordplay Guild's Midwinter Armizare Tournament last weekend and now all I want to do is play with swords too. :3:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

EVG posted:

HEMA is cool. I haven't gotten into it yet but it's on my todo list when I have the time/funds to start some of the classes at my local outpost. I attended the Chicago Swordplay Guild's Midwinter Armizare Tournament last weekend and now all I want to do is play with swords too. :3:

Its worth it!

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Lol. It’s important to note that Your Friend A Dog Whistle has been probated/banned more times than I care to count for blatant racism (take a peak at his post history), and routinely argued against you if you brought up the obvious examples of racism within the hema/sca communities. Really glad he’s perma’d.

Good lord. You know, I'm super happy that I'm way late seeing those and missed jumping in as The Other SCA Rapier Dude, But Not A Giant Racist Shitlord.

...'course, now I'm just wondering who they are based on that post history. Ugh.

Aaaaaaanyway. So for folks in New England, it looks like the Athena School of Arms has Guy Windsor coming out for a weekend in April, and they might have openings still!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Guy's cool and I recommend going. Make sure to think up some problems you'd like his help on to get the most out of it, he tends to just show up and go "well what would you guys like" instead of preparing an entire seminar beforehand.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it came from r/legaladvice

https://twitter.com/BootlegGirl/status/1091694484545589254

an open sword carry state is a free and just state

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Shame about all the nonsense I just read in this thread about the SCA. After 22 years, I'm still a member, but very specifically I don't fight officially for any kingdom (well, I get to have the outlands stag on my shield, but that's different.) Anyway, I still love it. I love the combat at war. Tournaments I can take or leave, but war is just such a fantastic rush.

I've tried a little bit of HEMA live steel stuff, but frankly it's just not as appealing. I want hundeds vs hundreds at one. I want to charge the shield wall and break it. I want to knock people into the dirt with my axe. I never get the same level of visceral rush from the live steel play.

Also, since the thing in Caid, I always make sure that hat I roll up to any event in my "Nazi punks gently caress off" t shirt. It has the effect of keeping the assholes away.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've tried a little bit of HEMA live steel stuff, but frankly it's just not as appealing. I want hundeds vs hundreds at one. I want to charge the shield wall and break it. I want to knock people into the dirt with my axe. I never get the same level of visceral rush from the live steel play.
so reenact, you get the same fun but with less made up undignified poo poo

rio
Mar 20, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

it came from r/legaladvice

https://twitter.com/BootlegGirl/status/1091694484545589254

an open sword carry state is a free and just state

Good thing it wasn’t England because she would have been jailed even if it were just a spoon in her hand.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

rio posted:

Good thing it wasn’t England because she would have been jailed even if it were just a spoon in her hand.

just enjoying my breakfast sword

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

rio posted:

She's in Texas, they could not even approach giving a gently caress. She could have chased that old lady off her land with a shotgun, and as long as she didn't actually shoot her just for trespassing, Texas would call it admirable restraint.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Shame about all the nonsense I just read in this thread about the SCA. After 22 years, I'm still a member, but very specifically I don't fight officially for any kingdom (well, I get to have the outlands stag on my shield, but that's different.) Anyway, I still love it. I love the combat at war. Tournaments I can take or leave, but war is just such a fantastic rush.

Also, since the thing in Caid, I always make sure that hat I roll up to any event in my "Nazi punks gently caress off" t shirt. It has the effect of keeping the assholes away.

I like that. The SCA is one of those niche communities that is very vulnerable to hijacking by bad actors because despite the vicious social infighting they don't like to drive people out. Make friends, play with your friends, and assume the best of people until proven otherwise, then turn the popular dialogue on them.

Wars are amazing, I agree. I'm considering going back to heavy just for that, although Calontir's experimenting with Cut & Thrust melees if you want that HEMA feel with SCA style melee...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Dzurlord posted:

Good lord. You know, I'm super happy that I'm way late seeing those and missed jumping in as The Other SCA Rapier Dude, But Not A Giant Racist Shitlord.

...'course, now I'm just wondering who they are based on that post history. Ugh.

Aaaaaaanyway. So for folks in New England, it looks like the Athena School of Arms has Guy Windsor coming out for a weekend in April, and they might have openings still!

Guy is a good dude. I'm looking forward to this class.

Fun fact, Athena School of Arms was where I first started with HEMA, back when it was called Kunstbruder.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

"Art brother"?

Speaking German makes lots of HEMA really weird/funny.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Xiahou Dun posted:

"Art brother"?

Speaking German makes lots of HEMA really weird/funny.

Brothers of the Art... Yeah HEMA German is silly.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What kind of shoes do you recommend for HEMA? Are running shoes okay, or are cross training shoes preferable?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Schneider Heim posted:

What kind of shoes do you recommend for HEMA? Are running shoes okay, or are cross training shoes preferable?

I use wrestling shoes.

Specifically the ASICS Matflex 5's

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Period. Boots. Only. Bonus points for hobnails.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Don't use running shoes, the heel is padded so soft and high that you'll roll your ankle if you need to turn in a hurry. Tennis shoes, fencing shoes or wrestling shoes are all okay, just get something comfy and reasonably flat-soled.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Schneider Heim posted:

Wrestling shoes, fencing shoes, boxing shoes, and those thin glove running shoes by Merrell work great. Wrestling shoes are probably easiest to get a hold of, and fairly inexpensive. You can get a pair of ASICS wrestling shoes for like $30-50, and they’ll last a while. If you’re really on a budget, you can even get a pair of Feiyues which are good but wear out quickly.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Period. Boots. Only. Bonus points for hobnails.

I have these when I am in harness, but most places have hardwood floors and hobnails and hardwood floors do not mix.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thank you for the responses. Shoe culture is big jn the Philippines but everyone gets all those Ultra Boost things and there isn't a decent selection of non-running, non-basketball athletic shoes. But I will try!

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Schneider Heim posted:

Thank you for the responses. Shoe culture is big jn the Philippines but everyone gets all those Ultra Boost things and there isn't a decent selection of non-running, non-basketball athletic shoes. But I will try!

They are all over Ebay if you can go that way.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My favourite shoes have pretty consistently been a pair of off-brand Converse All-Stars copies, you could try those.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I'm using Asics wrestling shoes but this are kind too narrow for my wide foot. I'm considering other options once these are worn trough. Also, Helsinki Longsword Open published videos of all the longsword matches in Youtube.
Here are the qualifications I fought, from 1.53.20 onwards are the matches I am in (with white socks and otherwise black gear): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qBoli8PIho

Also at around 2.02.15 is my one moment when everything went better than expected, I pulled off a disarm against my opponent. There guys were all much better than me and it shows, but it was fun times nonetheless.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm using Asics wrestling shoes but this are kind too narrow for my wide foot. I'm considering other options once these are worn trough. Also, Helsinki Longsword Open published videos of all the longsword matches in Youtube.
Here are the qualifications I fought, from 1.53.20 onwards are the matches I am in (with white socks and otherwise black gear): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qBoli8PIho

Also at around 2.02.15 is my one moment when everything went better than expected, I pulled off a disarm against my opponent. There guys were all much better than me and it shows, but it was fun times nonetheless.

Stop leading with your hands. You are almost always sticking your hands out before you swing the sword...

Ties' hat is loving silly.

Matt Galas is a goober when he judges. I'll make sure I tell him.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

EvilMerlin posted:

Stop leading with your hands. You are almost always sticking your hands out before you swing the sword...

Ties' hat is loving silly.

Matt Galas is a goober when he judges. I'll make sure I tell him.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'v done this for less than a year so there is still so much to learn. Galas is badass though, too 2nd prize in the cutting competition and he isn't young.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'v done this for less than a year so there is still so much to learn. Galas is badass though, too 2nd prize in the cutting competition and he isn't young.

ALWAYS review your fight videos after a few days have passed. You will get so much out of them that you didn't know or didnt see you were doing when you were doing it.

Yeah Matt and I go way back. He is good people. He was up my way in October for IGX and we may have talked too much about armour and missed both of the first events we were supposed to judge...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

EvilMerlin posted:

I have these when I am in harness, but most places have hardwood floors and hobnails and hardwood floors do not mix.

You fight......indoors?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You fight......indoors?

Yep. Mostly.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's so weird. I don't have a problem with it or anything, I just can't imagine. West coast privilege I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Midwest too. There's several months a year where we'd freeze solid otherwise. :)