Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Dzurlord posted:

No joke? Which school is this?

Aaaaalso in June Athena School of Arms is having Devon Boorman out for a week-long intensive for rapier, longsword, and teaching. He usually does those out in Vancouver, so it's pretty good for the area. (Though you still need the time off work because they're like 10 hour long days for 5 days, which is a thing.)

Athena. Don't get me wrong. I think Julie is peach and is doing awesome. But TOOO MUCH stuff.

Thats the only reason I'm not training there as I find a new place for my school.

I saw Boorman was coming down, but no way I can get time off to do that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

Athena. Don't get me wrong. I think Julie is peach and is doing awesome. But TOOO MUCH stuff.

Oh man, I didn't think they were doing THAT much. Oof.

I guess I don't see the problem with covering that many weapons in a school, but time's finite and they can't hold multiple classes in the same time slot with that space, so. Eh.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Dzurlord posted:

Oh man, I didn't think they were doing THAT much. Oof.

I guess I don't see the problem with covering that many weapons in a school, but time's finite and they can't hold multiple classes in the same time slot with that space, so. Eh.

Things are probably better now too that they have multiple instructors.

I think Andrew is doing longsword, and they have a bunch of folks that do sabre and rapier...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...
Hope to see everyone at Longpoint this year.

I'm doing a class on how to do the armour thing properly and will be a fight director for pool 6.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Our club just started a 6-week crash course on German rapier, mostly with a dagger in the other hand. The first session was this Tuesday and boy it was fun. It's like 1600's version of hotdog stand fighting, all fast and furious.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Do you work with the group in Philly much at all? I just found them and was going to go check out one of their practice sessions. I dabbled in SCA for a bit, a long time ago and they look like a cool group.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So, had a nice tournament in Örebro, Sweden. Battle of the Bridge it's called, the idea of the tournament is that there are multiple timeslots, with several different types of competition in each (for example sunday morning 9-11 had Rapier+Dagger and Smallsword) so that everyone participating gets to fight with different weapons, or many times with the same weapons. Refereeing was mostly done with two judges, a main one and an assistant one. Participants were also expected to judge in events that they were not fighting in. The spirit of the event was to try new and different things, it was perfectly okay to try weapons which you had not really used much before, and all judging was on the understanding that most of the judges are there for get practice in judging. I did sabre and smallsword, hurt my left hand a little in the sabre so I did no longsword or paired weapons at all, but did rather well in the smallsword (I won a 10-person tournament). If you are interested in coming to European HEMA events but feel that you are not super good in any weapon I would suggest this, as you get to try many different things and while some seriously good fencers attend it's not deadly serious.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

New stick week!

One of Castille's new economy broadswords. I love the fit and finish, only drawback is that their usual 1h feder blade is a bit short for a broadsword, but can't argue with the price. I'll swap for one of their longer blades at some point.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Liquid Communism posted:

New stick week!

One of Castille's new economy broadswords. I love the fit and finish, only drawback is that their usual 1h feder blade is a bit short for a broadsword, but can't argue with the price. I'll swap for one of their longer blades at some point.

Oh heck yeah! I've been looking at these for a couple months now. Please give us an update/review after you've had some time to play around with it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Oh sweet a HEMA thread!

I've been interested off an on for years, did some SCA way back in the day. I live near Louisville Kentucky and so far this area looks dead for HEMA clubs, even facebook shows like nobody since 2017 or so.

Anyways, hi, I'm gonna keep lurking, and nazi punks gently caress off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I need to make some time for better footwork practice. Mine is sorely lacking. Not that I'm getting much time in, didn't really mesh with the local HEMA group because they all want to do longsword and I don't really care for it. May have to pick up SCA cut & thrust as an alternative.

Good video I ran across this week, Paul Wagner's broadsword work based on Silver vs Rob Rutherford's Bolognese sidesword:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l_yut-q_uw&t=137s

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Estrella is almost here, if you want to come out and bludgeon people. It's good for footwork!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Estrella is almost here, if you want to come out and bludgeon people. It's good for footwork!

Its tempting, but I'm waiting on gear. I did give in and use my employer's yearly fitness goods allowance to buy a new pair of gauntlets though. :v:

I need to put out some feelers locally. Used to be all they did was heavy, and I've had enough concussions that I'm leery of going back to taking full force headshots for fun.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Liquid Communism posted:

my employer's yearly fitness goods allowance
swords are a fitness good

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HEY GUNS posted:

swords are a fitness good

Swords are not, sadly. Not even sport fencing foils.

Protective fencing gear, on the other hand...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Liquid Communism posted:

Swords are not, sadly.
oh, friend, i think it is lawsuits time

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Just ran into something that looks like it would be a pretty solid starting point for anyone interested in HEMA.

Maritime Sword School Moncton is posting a full video tutorial and syllabus from Charles Roworth's 'Art of Defense on Foot for Broadsword and Sabre', which is a bit late period for HEMA (1824) but a really solid starting point for quickly getting people into one handed sword basics.

First video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Z0EDlexXw

The syllabus is linked on the description, or found here.

Having watched it, it looks pretty cool, and they're teaching it around starting with singlestick so it is very approachable for new fencers as the cost of entry is maybe $120 in gear (mask, singlestick, glove, forearm protector). The original is meant for sabre and broadsword, with some notes for spadroon, hanger, or light cut and thrust sword.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay the video might be good but opening with a sick Children of Bodom tribute and two people Flynning each other in the face is not a good look I'm sorry.

Edit: The model can't keep his weight back during footwork and his lunging form isn't great. His guards are okay and he knows there are differences in them between editions, which is a plus.

However, I 100% disagree with his interpretation of Roworth's cuts, and this makes me feel completely crazy because everyone winds their cuts up like that and I can find zero reason for it in the book. The cuts 1 and 2 he shows are very clearly not the movements described on pg. 24 the book.

Edit2: Also I very much recommend wearing at least a sweater if not a fencing jacket when fencing with sticks. "Pain teaches" is some macho bullshit.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 1, 2020

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Has anyone else had experience ordering from Balefire?

I ordered their Angelo Broadsword last June. They said my club would get our group order by Christmas. And they've been delaying constantly since then. It's meant to be finished this week, but I'm less concerned because well, Corona. But this is coming up on five months late now.

Not that I'll get to use it for a while. I just broke my knee.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oof, good luck on healing up!

Haven't ordered from them, but I feel you on delays. I'm five months in the can on a pair of gauntlets from Trinity Armory right now myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Me trying once again to make sense of a Fiore manuscript.

"Don't you see?! You just have to push the elbow!!"

Anyway, how's the plague treating you guys? Getting any reading done?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 2, 2020