Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't normally double post but it's been an entire day - a point of concern for me with this season is if they don't have some kind of closure with Trent, because if they leave him the way they have so far, he'll be a general stereotype - the Violent Psycho/Sociopath (word of Rachel is that he's one of those). They've done fairly well avoiding that sort of portrayal/genericness in other characters, so I hope he at least gets a scene where he finally starts seeing a therapist or something, something to show that he can get better too. Even if he is three seasons of development behind where Rebecca is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't normally double post but it's been an entire day - a point of concern for me with this season is if they don't have some kind of closure with Trent, because if they leave him the way they have so far, he'll be a general stereotype - the Violent Psycho/Sociopath (word of Rachel is that he's one of those). They've done fairly well avoiding that sort of portrayal/genericness in other characters, so I hope he at least gets a scene where he finally starts seeing a therapist or something, something to show that he can get better too. Even if he is three seasons of development behind where Rebecca is now.

Agreed, I’m hoping he gets a “you do/don’t wanna be crazy” song to show that he’s at least reckoning with himself, plus it would continue the theme song gag which I love.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I liked this episode as far as the dramedy aspects go, but the musical numbers were meh. :geno:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Donna Lynne Champlin got a solo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, but it wasn't a good one.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I liked it. Made me well up a little. But then again I’ll need a mediator, therapist, and a medium to fix my issues with my mom so that probably has something to do with it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Off topic but I quite like "It's going to be different" sung by Dr Akopian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyO8OgtnQIA

Largely for the frustration in the line "Sweet Jesus it HAS to be Different!" This show definitely excels at getting singers to perform/act the songs and not just sing them. You don't have anything like Russel Crowe trying to stick slavishly to the tune and sounding awkward, they all look and sound like they are feeling the emotion involved.

It must have been especially hard to toe that line for "After everything you made me do that you didn't ask for" because when sounding angry, often tunefulness is counter to that. However Rachel pulls off the balance well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxud1n9XL30

The performative aspect is also key to her parts in "Where's Rebecca Bunch?" because it can't be easy to sing when half your face is embedded in a pillow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26ZP2950Yg
That one is particularly interesting because it throws all reality out the window. Rebecca has always seen her life in terms of a movie, and now in this song that hits it's peak as the whole of West Covina is reimagined as a Disney style medieval village with a spooky tower representing the hotel. Actually the whole situation has been inverted for that song - the rest of West Covina is disneyfied, but Rebecca's scenes are the only ones where we are seeing the truth of what is going on.

I also like the small visual gags, like in Fit Hot Guys, after the song is over there is a brilliant visual gag - throughout the episode the boys have been ordering fries intending to comfort eat but never get around to them, posturing about it instead. At the end of the song they are all crying in front of the bar, and there is an empty fry basket present.

Also the moments where they use music as a metaphor for the situation, like in "No one else is singing my song" where they think that no one understands what they are going through and describe it as being a song so complicated rhythmically that it's impossible to follow. EG: "When the core of your problem is a complicated melisma~"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 11, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't know if it's intentional or not (especially since this show has a habit of having regulars be absent for episodes at a time) but it's a neat touch that Josh is being featured less and less. Sure, he's the catalyst for everything, but as he becomes less and less relevant to Rebecca's life, his screen time gets cut back. Hell, I didn't even notice he was in The Group Mind until my roommate watched it just now.

I also just realized I am in love with Paula's crazy face

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Horses give me a rash now

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That’s when she jacuzzis and edits her podcast

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo this is an epic

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That was a really nice episode. :3:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Rebecca "WTF"ing at the girl sexy dancing made me laugh before I even had my coffee

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something really clever with that song is that we've only really seen the musical numbers presented in a showy way, and that one is no exception - until the end. In the flashback to her time in the mental hospital after her first major episode with Robert, one of the nurses says that she "Sings to herself, and no one really knows why". We are seeing that aspect, something that before was always dressed up as a fully produced number, or played for laughs with her characteristic bad singing - this time we see how the coping mechanism looks from an external point of view, in Darryl.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I also liked the call back to "This song goes in a loopty loop".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Paula is really falling behind, if Josh is calling her out on her immature behavior.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That was a good episode and all but folks *sits down backwards on chair* we gotta talk about the proper shipping and handling of human cremated remains.

You see, as a professional, I

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I liked the slow buildup to everyone being in a car and then a Beach Boys epic.

Also DARRYL'S MUSTACHE NOOOOOO (I guess Pete got tired of it, nice sendoff).

Edit: How useful:

https://twitter.com/crazyxgfwriters/status/1063662487508140032

Also go to Rachel's twitter to see all their in-the-car improv, it's a riot.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 17, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Josh and Darryl being the Kokomo era is my favourite thing that’s happened in a song in this show since forever

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Natheather really rolls of the tongue. Really try to pronounce that.
How is it not Heathaniel?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Take it up with them. :shrug:

radlum
May 13, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I love this; I know little of US geography and these kind of maps are very helpful.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Natheather really rolls of the tongue. Really try to pronounce that.
How is it not Heathaniel?

I think Heathaniel is the Hebrew angel of the musical number of the end times.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doubtful Guest posted:

I think Heathaniel is the Hebrew angel of the musical number of the end times.

Na, התניאל is a minor angel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Tova Feldshuh is gonna feature heavily in this one

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And HOW

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Rebecca starting to get the feels again for two of the guys that ended disastrously before due to circumstances changing, and immediately seeking help about it. She was in danger of latching onto Josh again, but then Nathaniel made her realise "poo poo, is this me, or my BPD again?" The glitter explosion has become an omen, rather than a sign. Also her standing up to her mother was really satisfying.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
A nice pan of spaghetti. Straight from the oven!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Vincent's physical comedy was on point. The other comedy bits were also hilarious. I like that Nathaniel is making some progress in being genuinely nice after starting by desperately attempting to be nice.

The songs were... meh. For a second I'd forgotten this is a musical comedy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Vincent's physical comedy was on point. The other comedy bits were also hilarious. I like that Nathaniel is making some progress in being genuinely nice after starting by desperately attempting to be nice.

The songs were... meh. For a second I'd forgotten this is a musical comedy.

I liked the moment in the episode with her half Brother where Rebecca calls out that the song "One Unmistakeable Instant" that she used to obsess over was from a really lovely movie that she never talked about because she knew all along that it was poo poo, it was just nostalgia that gave it meaning:

"I mean I never spoke about it because the speech isn't even all that well written and it's kind of embarrassing that I obsessed over it even at the time. The only place I ever mentioned it was in my... diary."

Also loved the exchange when her and her brother sit down to watch said movie and it's just like "Does the animation get any better later?" "Oh, god no :)" Like with Josh and Nathaniel, until this latest episode, it was just another thing that once was overly meaningful to her and now is just something she can laugh at. Now the glitter has exploded again...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
By the way, I don't think I've seen someone "triumphantly pregnant" before, at least in US media.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something neat with the current intro is that it has the same duality as the other 3, but in a subtler way - the first one had Everyone else calling Rebecca out while she denies it, the second one had the whole "I have no underlying issues to address, I'm just in love!" thing, 3 was about the different facets of madness (physical and mental, internal and external) at lyrical war with each other - and 4 has Other Rebecca.

Other Rebecca is representative of the "Cute Fun Crazy" that the whole series is deconstructing - she's crazy in a whacky way that you can laugh at, she randomly barks, she thinks she's a fork, etc. However Our Rebecca is representative of the genuine sort of mental illness - complicated, scary to all parties and not much fun at all. Our Rebecca challenges the singers so much they prefer to stay in ignorance and go back to Other Rebecca, who is the sort of flippant treatment of mental illness that Parks and Rec fell into with the character of Tammy 2.

Clarification on 3's facets - Starts with External with "Crazy's when I go off the rails, that's what you do to me!" Second one is Internal with "Crazy's the way your love makes me feel, it's the way I always want to be" Then Physical with "I like a girl who gets crazy in bed" and finally Mental with "Don't mess with the bitch who's crazy in the head!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 3, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I like to think Other Rebecca has noticed the weird singing stalkers and is growing increasingly outlandish to try to get them to gently caress off.

She's my new favorite character tbh

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
New Greg Tonight

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Kamala Hare-is

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They can lampshade it all they want but new Greg does not work for me

I loved the Valencia story though

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've been enjoying this season, this episode as well. New Greg is very different, but I'm willing to see where they're going with him. Also I loved the text chain. "BY THE WAY PAULA DID YOU DIE!?" Also I love all the jokes about "I'm back for the whole series... of holidays terminating in Valentines Day!"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maybe I'm biased because she's my favorite character, but Heather was definitely MVP this episode.

And Skylar Astin always bugs me. He's a lovely actor and his "range" is nothing. I will admit he has a nice singing voice but he's a god-awful actor.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Maybe I'm biased because she's my favorite character, but Heather was definitely MVP this episode.

And Skylar Astin always bugs me. He's a lovely actor and his "range" is nothing. I will admit he has a nice singing voice but he's a god-awful actor.

I love Heather's Magic Bar.

"BAR!"
"Espresso? Nice"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's not enough lampshade in the world for this. Everything other than the New Greg storyline was good, though.