Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I thought new Greg was pretty good. The joke of only Rebecca noticing was funny, and I didn't have any trouble accepting him as the same character. There were a few lines in particular where it was just like "Oh yeah, that's a very Greg thing to say."

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Heather was definitely MVP this episode.
This is accurate though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Heather's love of Valencia's drama was wonderful. Also she clearly runs a tight ship.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah Heather's love of Valencia's drama was wonderful. Also she clearly runs a tight ship.

Wanna see New Greg get wowed by the Magic Barkeep. He's been replaced by a BOOZE WIZARD!

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I didn’t mind new Greg at all, either. My wife loved the episode, one of her favorites so far. Heather was amazing, and it’s always nice to see George get some good screen time, killer song.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I identified SO HARD with Heather this episode because I get such a kick watching other people's drama, even if it's just a Facebook comment section. I will legitimately just follow friends around and watch it unfold (while still being supportive, of course)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watched it with the bestie tonight and I love new Greg personally and a I'm a big time Greg boy as you bloody know. I thought he nailed the cadence Santino had really well and I know they discussed the character a lot. Cannot believe I actually watched an episode promplty and now I have a week to wait for a new one good lord.

Expected the V twist with it being a dude that we knew but neve expected that. So good.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Heather ruled. My bff and I were watching it together and couldn't believe neither of us guessed Father Brah was the mystery suitor (although I caught on to V's nonbinary pronouns way faster than he did :cool:). I love New Greg although his voice is definitely nowhere near Santino's -- he has plenty of charm to spare and I was impressed by how much he imitated Real Greg's mannerisms.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ugh how did you post faster than me?!? diiiick

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

ugh how did you post faster than me?!? diiiick

You underestimate the posting of a TRUE Gregornaut

I thought Skylar was great but for sure agreed I don't know about his singing compared to Santino's. Excited for his first solo and I bet it'll be great but can't see it matching something like Settle For Me or What'll It Be

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hope that we see more of the cell mate now that Nathaniel's finally got her out of prison and cleared her debts. It'd be nice to see her swing by Rebeczals at least.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Heather ruled. My bff and I were watching it together and couldn't believe neither of us guessed Father Brah was the mystery suitor (although I caught on to V's nonbinary pronouns way faster than he did :cool:). I love New Greg although his voice is definitely nowhere near Santino's -- he has plenty of charm to spare and I was impressed by how much he imitated Real Greg's mannerisms.

I would be genuinely happy if all Heather did from here on out was follow people around watching their drama unfold.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I knew bringing Greg back with a different actor was going to be divisive. When I first learned of their intentions with that I was dreading it. Santino was really great and still has some of my favorite songs from the series, so I was really not on board. But, I think it's gonna work. Liked New Greg's song pretty well, too. But my wife loving HATED it and was furious and will probably be furious about it!

George's song was the highlight of this one by far, though. And also Josh's biceps when he was working out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just feel like there's a certain suspension of disbelief that is required here that has not been required before. If they'd instead had Santino come in to do a guest appearance as "how everyone other than Rebecca sees Greg", then it would be an easier pill to swallow. And I personally don't really buy his faking Santino's performance. This isn't like in Buffy: the Vampire Slayers's This Year's Girl+Who Are You, where Sarah Michelle Gellar played a pitch-perfect Eliza Dushku Faith. Maybe they should have gotten her to play NuGreg.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I didn't mind New Greg. Though I agree that having Santino Fontana make a small guest appearance would have sealed the deal. Either that or show us Rebecca from Greg's perspective as a different actress .

Why didn't they bring Fontana back? Was he busy or not interested?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Ither posted:

I didn't mind New Greg. Though I agree that having Santino Fontana make a small guest appearance would have sealed the deal. Either that or show us Rebecca from Greg's perspective as a different actress .

He's in a musical in Chicago. http://www.playbill.com/article/tootsie-musical-starring-santino-fontana-will-play-chicago-before-2019-broadway-premiere

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ither posted:

HE COULD HAVE SEEN HER AS OTHER REBECCA! IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT!

Sorry.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I don't mind New Greg, but I hope he becomes part of the rest of the plot and not just Rebecca's romantic life, it will make the change easier to digest if his plot is less "look at the returning character" in a couple of episodes.

Also, the joke of "the rest of the season" mean that he is actually back for the rest of the season?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
New Greg is fine, he channels OG well and his dialogue's written the same. But I loved the juxtaposition between how positively un-musical Santino Fontana looked and acted, and his voice, and Skylar Astin just doesn't fit that part of his character. Oh well! I'm sure I'll get used to him over the next ten episodes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Seriously, I don't mind the new Greg. They had some ideas for the character, the original actor wasn't available, so they got a replacement. Sure, it does feel a bit grating but I wont fault the show for that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just hope they don't go up to 4.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

What song is Forget It based on?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
George's song should have been third wave ska. :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMnHKyjC_8k

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
So this shows gotten double the run but how do you all feel between this and Galavant?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

SunshineDanceParty posted:

So this shows gotten double the run but how do you all feel between this and Galavant?

I love both.
Galavant was less weird and more of a traditional musical comedy.
CExG is a more interesting show, but its songs more often are stand alone parodies that comment on the action as opposed to moving the plot.

Recommending the shows to friends:
Musical likers:
Galavant: watch it, you'll love it
CexG: give it a couple episodes, if you don't care for it; it probably won't change your mind

Non-musical likers:
Galavant: you're probably safe to skip
CexG: give it a couple episodes, if you don't care for it; it probably won't change your mind

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

garthoneeye posted:

I love both.
Galavant was less weird and more of a traditional musical comedy.
CExG is a more interesting show, but its songs more often are stand alone parodies that comment on the action as opposed to moving the plot.

Recommending the shows to friends:
Musical likers:
Galavant: watch it, you'll love it

Non-musical likers:
Galavant: you're probably safe to skip

I think that's pretty fair. I would never call Crazy Ex broad comedy but Galavant is certainly a specific thing that hits or doesn't.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Galavant is one of my favorite shows ever and it deserved to have ten seasons

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Not gonna lie, I really kinda love that everyone is slowly getting more and more annoyed with Josh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Oh hey I finally caught up with the show, and the thread.

Ither posted:

What song is Forget It based on?

I was also wondering this.

I felt like the hive mind song was written for me, as the only person on Earth who did not find Darryl and White Josh's relationship to be particularly convincing or compelling while the rest of the world was convinced they were The Greatest Love Of All.

OTOH, when Valencia and Beth started dating I was sure V was more into Beth's connections than the actual relationship, but clearly at this point it's genuine. I wonder if I was always off-base or if that vibe was intended but then dropped.

I liked Heather telling Nathaniel that she never understood what Rebecca saw in him. I liked how the car song started out kinda lame and then got epic. I liked Darryl's fake-out with the cleaning song.

I'm not sure if I should feel conned that the show got away with doing an episode where Rebecca had to cope with the departure of two major characters, without any actual impact on those characters' screen time.

I'm not that bothered by New Greg but I'm apprehensive about what he'll be doing for the next ten episodes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"I have a confession: you're super cute."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That was a fun episode overall but I wasn't a fan of Darrells subplot. It ended in a cute way, but was otherwise just generically cringey in a way I didn't enjoy.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One of my favorite things from this show is seeing how far Rebecca and Valencia’s relationship has come, and Valencia as a character in general. A great example of character growth without changing who they are fundamentally

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I loved the dig at NPH: "He was right, who was that girl with the ridiculous tiny hat?"

More generally, I love how they decided that her hatred for Cats was going to be this important thread they were going to follow. Although did they really have to go with the one black cat being funky?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really love the idea of Rebecca just ending up with a pretty average guy who she ended up with under pretty mundane circumstances.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I loved the dig at NPH: "He was right, who was that girl with the ridiculous tiny hat?"

More generally, I love how they decided that her hatred for Cats was going to be this important thread they were going to follow. Although did they really have to go with the one black cat being funky?

Cats is legitimately awful. Everything Rebecca has been saying about it I've been saying for years and even wrote a paper about it in college and my boss and I are constantly arguing about it. "Memory" is the one good thing that came out of it.

I really liked all the song call backs. I almost missed "I'm so good at spinning"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Cats is legitimately awful. Everything Rebecca has been saying about it I've been saying for years and even wrote a paper about it in college and my boss and I are constantly arguing about it. "Memory" is the one good thing that came out of it.

I really liked all the song call backs. I almost missed "I'm so good at spinning"

I think I enjoyed it when I was 13? We couldn't get into Phantom, that was booked for months, and we only had a few days in London.

I remember it being really intense sitting in the rotating portion with the cats walking around you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I just realized that Rebecca’s genitals smelling bad was a callback to “Sex with a Stranger.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just realized that Rebecca’s genitals smelling bad was a callback to “Sex with a Stranger.”

LOL, that's right!

Edit: I should have realized there'd be fan art:

https://twitter.com/HO_h5/status/1084282866249285632

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 13, 2019