Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Esther's character in Alone Together is intentionally over-the-top insufferable. I think it's supposed to be a satire of how boomers (or even gen-x'ers) view all millenials.

I dug the show, but it was getting kind of tiresome by the end - Esther cooks up a harebrained scheme to get rich / get famous / befriend a celebrity, and it backfires. That's 90% of the episodes.

Probably for the best that they canceled it, though I'd like to see Esther Povitsky get another good leading or ensemble role. She's been great on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and what I've seen of her stand-up is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tonight, we finally go to Raging Waters!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yes, Rebecca’s fake British accent is back!

But also, :ohdear:

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 2, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I would give my three left nuts to see Santino sing that song

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That's a big "yeah" from me too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Guys, he left and he’s not coming back, accept it

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My intense hatred of Skylar Astin ever since I saw Pitch Perfect won't let me

radlum
May 13, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Even if he doesn't actually sing it in the show, they should record a version of the song with him and release it with the soundtrack of the season.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Well apparently after the finale, they're doing a concert where they sing a bunch of hits from the show. Maybe he'll be there?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think he's on great terms with the show? Maybe it's just a rumour, but I got the impression that the reason Fontana left the show was because of personal and creative differences.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah tbh the wording of him leaving seemed to me like "he told us to gently caress off so now this was always our plan..."

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
By the end of the song the new guy won me over to be honest I thought it was a great performance

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

First decent song of the season, the quality of songs has been not great this season.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I enjoyed Don't Be A Lawyer but I feel the quality of the show as a whole has been down since around the latter half of season 3.

I'm kind of just waiting for it to end/wrap up at this point.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Harlock posted:

I enjoyed Don't Be A Lawyer but I feel the quality of the show as a whole has been down since around the latter half of season 3.

Yeah, definitely my favorite, which is a shame, because it's way too close of a ripoff of Every Little Step.

I will say this about the various character arcs: now that all of her lovers are more mature, they all recognize that she's gone into a self-destructive spiral and try to help her instead of playing along.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Brown Moses posted:

First decent song of the season, the quality of songs has been not great this season.

I really liked "Child Star"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

New Greg's song was so good it made me like him more

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Regy Rusty posted:

New Greg's song was so good it made me like him more

He's very talented, but he doesn't convey a believable "I hate everything" aura for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

He's very talented, but he doesn't convey a believable "I hate everything" aura for me.

True

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Maybe that’s why Fontana was so good. He hated everything about the show and people and it really came out in his acting.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Maybe that’s why Fontana was so good. He hated everything about the show and people and it really came out in his acting.

He did? :smith:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I seem to remember reading something about him committing to several things during the limbo after season 1 (over whether or not the show would be renewed) and wanted to be with his family more. At the very least he seems to still be on good terms with the cast. He had David Hull on his podcast recently and he doesn't exactly seem to shy away from talking about the show.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Yeah, there is some weird projecting going on in this thread. The show shoots in LA, he’s a busy broadway performer who lives in NYC. He had to be away from his family constantly and couldn’t commit to stage shows while attached to the show. There’s no big drama here. Dude is a nice guy who just happens to be a better at acting like a misanthrope than Skylar Astin.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is such a La La Land number, I love it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Mindy St. Claire!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Vincent Rodriguez III is so hot :allears:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
That fighting song was the goddamn best thing.

Not loving the rest of the episode, but that saved it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Glad to see Mindy St. Claire show up.

Also really liked the song about the universe being sometimes way too on the nose. Good callback to the end of Swimchan.

If Rebecca wants to get back into theater she may have to face up to not actually being a good singer in-universe, but it would be somehow appropriate for a show that started with her envisioning songs to deal with life, resolving with her singing for real.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, the songs in this one were pretty good. Still, 5 episodes left I think, so we'll see where things go from here.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I would completely love it if the next episode has Josh and Nathaniel performing Rebecca and Paula's plans from season 1

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
i really like how the show took the common tactic to shame mentally ill people ("We all get sad") and turned on its head. Yeah, we all get sad, so stuff like antidepressants that help us deal with that isn't a big deal.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Has Rachel Bloom always been able to tap dance and this is the first time it's been used?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So who am I meeting in LA on the 16th?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Tickets were released while I was in rehearsal, natch. :( I’m on the waiting list but definitely not gonna hold my breath.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Do we know if it'll be recorded? I hope so

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Do we know if it'll be recorded? I hope so

We absolutely know it will be recorded, it's going to be broadcast right after the last episode. It's part of the reason that it's free, and also that there are restrictions on what you're allowed to wear not to interfere with recording or whatever.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We absolutely know it will be recorded, it's going to be broadcast right after the last episode. It's part of the reason that it's free, and also that there are restrictions on what you're allowed to wear not to interfere with recording or whatever.

FWIW, Rachel posted on Twitter that folks can ignore the stuff about clothing restrictions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Melicious posted:

FWIW, Rachel posted on Twitter that folks can ignore the stuff about clothing restrictions.

What a relief.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
We’re back, bitches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Not going to be able to watch this until early tomorrow morning before my flight to LA, assuming I wake up early enough. Enjoy! See maybe some of you there? At all? Any of you? Fun either way!