Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THS
Sep 15, 2017

how would we explain all this to a dispassionate, extraterrestrial observer? what account would we give of our stewardship of the planet earth?

from an extraterrestrial perspective our global civilization is clearly on the edge of failure in the most important task it faces: preserving the lives and well-being of its citizens, and the future habitability of the planet.

shouldn't we consider in every nation, major changes in the traditional ways of doing this? a fundamental restructuring of economic, political, social, and religious institutions? We've reached a point where there can be no special interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luTxCri2bf4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I do and I say: kill us

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
if aliens landed today they'd probably end up talking to Trump

maaybe xi jinping

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
there is no way if they had the tech to find us that they wouldnt wipe us out to colonize

we would do the same thing

terraforming dead worlds is a fantasy

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Relin posted:

there is no way if they had the tech to find us that they wouldnt wipe us out to colonize

so is interstellar colonization so i guess we're safe

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol if they can get here but they cant speak directly with the gaia lifeforce

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Idk OP we probably look like a civilization of Pakleds. Buhhh we poisoned our planet and destroyed our cities because number go UP!

Lol at the people itt taking the question literally like "well they would probably not do that because science" and not as a thought experiment.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Our bullets would speak for the earth, and then we'd eat the corpses.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah lol our chemical fueled rockets and combustion powered projectiles would be very threatening I'm sure

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
I speak for earth

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Captain Planet, OP.

He' s our hero. Gonna take pollution down to zero.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

alright chief, glarbon got super drunk and beamed down to the planet while wearing his orange fatsuit and has somehow become the most powerful person in the world. he's been trying everything to get out of it but they just won't boot him

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
unless the alien's sent a massive fleet we could just nuke their ship in orbit. assuming no FTL travel it would take the aliens thousands of years to send reinforcements.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Relin posted:

If you have the tech to reliably travel between stars you have the tech to colonize the inhospitable bodies in your own solar system (not terraforming but habitats and O'Neill cylinders and the like), there's no reason to travel the stars for resources and that includes living space.

cnut
May 3, 2016

His Purple Majesty posted:

I speak for earth

Sup. Everything ok?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
More to the point there's no reason to assume we'd ever be able to meaningfully communicate with aliens

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

if they're not a race of anime catgirls we nuke em

if they are we put them in charge and worship them

bing bong so simple

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Feranon posted:

bing bong so simple

the egyptians worshipped cats and stargate canon says they're aliens so this is the correct path

praise bast

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

qkkl posted:

unless the alien's sent a massive fleet we could just nuke their ship in orbit. assuming no FTL travel it would take the aliens thousands of years to send reinforcements.

They could literally drop rocks on the earth and it would cause civilization ending extinction events. In any hypothetical space war the completely planet-bound size is gonna be at a pretty stark disadvantage against the people in orbit.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
trum,p

THS
Sep 15, 2017

we dont have anything aliens would want unless theyre sadists

THS
Sep 15, 2017

if aliens liked causing misery they could have a lot of fun though

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah lol our chemical fueled rockets and combustion powered projectiles would be very threatening I'm sure

Haven't found anything it hasn't worked on yet

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

*Show dong to alien* interested y/n? if n we'd nuke 'em. If y then comes the question what the alien has.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

the egyptians worshipped cats and stargate canon says they're aliens so this is the correct path

praise bast

dogs are earthbound, clay-wrought wretches bound to humanity to every whim and while

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Mayor Dave posted:

More to the point there's no reason to assume we'd ever be able to meaningfully communicate with aliens

If an alien species can use FTL travel, I don't think that'd be a problem. They're sapient, more technologically advanced, and there's always a chance of convergent evolution since if they come from a planet with similar parameters to ours, the "human" design might be one of the few paths where sapience can arise.

They'll find a way to communicate, though there's always the chance they'll kidnap and kill a few people in order to dissect our brains. Crack a few eggs, etc.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

Feranon posted:

bing bong so simple

what about catboys

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Metal Cat posted:

If an alien species can use FTL travel, I don't think that'd be a problem. They're sapient, more technologically advanced, and there's always a chance of convergent evolution since if they come from a planet with similar parameters to ours, the "human" design might be one of the few paths where sapience can arise.

They'll find a way to communicate, though there's always the chance they'll kidnap and kill a few people in order to dissect our brains. Crack a few eggs, etc.

it just as likely that they're life that's wildly different from our own, informed by an entirely separate evolution without any referent we could understand, and our only possible communication will be on the level of "we both know math and physics"

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Mayor Dave posted:

it just as likely that they're life that's wildly different from our own, informed by an entirely separate evolution without any referent we could understand, and our only possible communication will be on the level of "we both know math and physics"

Oh, definitely. But at least it's some communication, so it's not that bad.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Victory Position posted:

dogs are earthbound, clay-wrought wretches bound to humanity to every whim and while

dogs are angels given flesh, who guide the doomed race of man towards our better natures

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Catboy Autonomist posted:

what about catboys

i mean i guess

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any sensible aliens will talk to the whales, and then boy howdy will we be in trouble

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ive seen mars attacks, so i know the answer is that yodelers speak (or should i say yodel!??) for earth

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

Any sensible aliens will talk to the whales, and then boy howdy will we be in trouble

or they'll talk to the dolphins, and the dolphins will be dtf no matter what the aliens are

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-vREvJHH9Y

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The aliens will be peaceful and will freely share their advanced technology with us and we'll use it to betray and conquer them almost immediately

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I;ve found that speaking to people is largely a waste of time and I imagine any aliens that visit will quickly learn that lesson as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Who What Now posted:

The aliens will be peaceful and will freely share their advanced technology with us and we'll use it to order pizza telepathically almost immediately

Probably

• Locked thread