Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

BurritoJustice posted:

now when I go to fold the CPU is running around the same but the GPUs are sitting on like, 10k each. Which is obviously not worth it for the electricity used. Does anyone have any ideas?
Does that persist across several work units and projects? Remember that the Quick Return Bonus is dependent on how quickly you return a work unit, and if you stop folding to fix a computer problem, the PPD will be low until you finish that work unit. The effect will be especially harsh if you just barely was making the Timeout before the crash, and now only is able to return the work unit within the Expiry time.

If you return a work unit after Timeout, but before Expiry, you will still get some credit but the WU will be re-issued to someone else. And if you return before Timeout, your QRB is higher the faster you return it.

COVID-19 Moonshot work units have especially short timeouts because they are so time-critical. Researchers are using the data to prioritize chemical compounds to synthesize and assay in-vitro. More traditional projects have longer timeouts on them.

Can you try pausing the CPU and see if the GPUs start working again? Two CPU threads should be dedicated to feeding the GPUs with work and sanity-chekcing their results.

If your PPD permanently dropped, then I'd suspect some kind of hardware issue. Have you asked in the foldingforum.org forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BurritoJustice posted:

I started folding the other day, with the following specs:

9900K @5.1 all core avx
32gb 4000mhz
2x GTX980 @ 1550mhz

I first ran it for a while and I was getting around 180k per day on my CPU and around 800-820k on each of the GPUs, but I had a system crash because of something unrelated (bethesda engine bullshit) and now when I go to fold the CPU is running around the same but the GPUs are sitting on like, 10k each. Which is obviously not worth it for the electricity used. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also holy gently caress but goons are 69th in the world in f@h, thats crazy good

I've sometimes had spots where I had low PPD and letting it get through a work unit or two fixed it.

Vir's answer was better, I'm just +1 on it basically

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Also, if Folding uses the same model that BOINC projects do, you don't get credit for WUs when you return them; you get credit when they are validated. Sometimes you're waiting on the wingman; sometimes (much more rarely) you're waiting on the validator process.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Folding work units are not supposed to be done by two folders. The only cases where a work unit is issued to more than one folder is if it passes timeout, it crashes, gets dumped or there's something wrong with the work server.

The servers validate the work on their own, because it takes relatively little computation to validate the folding work once it has been done.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BurritoJustice posted:

I first ran it for a while and I was getting around 180k per day on my CPU and around 800-820k on each of the GPUs, but I had a system crash because of something unrelated (bethesda engine bullshit) and now when I go to fold the CPU is running around the same but the GPUs are sitting on like, 10k each. Which is obviously not worth it for the electricity used. Does anyone have any ideas?

Could it be that the GPUs are not actually doing anything (waiting for new work units) and the rolling average WU/day calculation is a bit flaky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Folding@home has quietly released a new client version (7.6.20), and there is now an ARM Linux / Raspberry Pi version as well: https://foldingathome.org/alternative-downloads/

e: Also they posted some science news: https://foldingathome.org/2020/10/2...nshot-sprint-4/

quote:

Just as we were doing this, something extremely unexpected happened: The chirally-separated version of the compound we started with turned out be 100 nM! That’s 25 times more potent (meaning you need 25x less drug to get the same effect in shutting down the protease) than what we thought we started from!

The exciting aspect of this is that we have apparently been working on an extremely potent compound series all along in Sprint 4, thinking it was “just” a backup series. All of the work we did has suddenly become much more important.

The starting materials we ordered from Sprint 4 have already arrived at the Weizmann, and the London lab is already hard at work synthesizing new compounds based on Sprint 4 designs. We’re excited to be able to share the results with you once they start trickling in.

Vir fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 20, 2020