Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I only do it when it stays cold, but I'll be contributing my 5800x3d and 3080FE shortly. (Again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

mdxi posted:

Also, be sure to check your global compute prefs and the project-specific preferences, both on the GPUGrid site. I think that compute prefs pulled as part of an update (i.e. runtime) override prefs set though a manager app (which happen at startup).

Thank you! I think that this was the root of my problem, in a way. Under the preferences in GPUGrid, I discovered the following:

code:
Run only the selected applications:
ACEMD 3: yes
ACEMD 4: yes
Quantum Chemistry (CPU): yes
Quantum Chemistry (CPU, beta): yes
Python Runtime (CPU, beta): yes
Python Runtime (GPU, beta): yes
I set all of the "beta" options to "no". Will see if that makes a difference.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Current SAGoons FAH status: 4,990,103 work units. Less than 10k to 5M.

Current WCG status: mostly broken again. Their planned storage array upgrade hasn't happened yet, and they tried turning on ARP1 WUs again, with completely predictable results. It's getting depressing just checking on that project.

Also, as a sidenote, the organization that they keep describing as their datacenter operator -- which my brain mapped to "colo space provider" -- is actually a Canadian high-performance computing research group. Learning this has just made all of Krembil's problems that much more confusing. Truly, all I can say at this point is "smdh".

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Less than 5k WUs to 5 million for FAH goons. Also less than a week until we overtake another team and move into 61st place in the all-time rankings.

The rapidity of this seems to mostly be due to MaxxBot, who is now producingaveraging more than 26 million points per day and is approaching 4 billion points.

Edit: We're also up to 24th in monthly rankings :comfyoot:

mdxi fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 27, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mdxi posted:

The rapidity of this seems to mostly be due to MaxxBot, who is now producingaveraging more than 26 million points per day and is approaching 4 billion points.

Edit: We're also up to 24th in monthly rankings :comfyoot:

This December is also the first month the team has surpassed two billion points.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

35th place, all-time ranking, by WUs

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I really need to upgrade the fans in my wife's case so I can get her machine crunching WUs under my ID . . . .

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

DENIS has posted in their forums that they will resume crunching by Wednesday. No front-page announcement of work restart yet.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

DENIS has posted, as an official update this time, that crunching will restart soon; they are updating their model to account for stuff that came up in the analysis of data gathered before their break.

But if I remember correctly, that was also the reason for the break? It could be both -- that they realized some changes needed to be made, leading to the break, and then realized further changes needed to be made due to analysis during the break. Still seems like an odd thing to say, two days after saying you were going to restart. Feels like "oops I forgot to do my homework" energy to me. Oh well.

Edit: This kinda thing is why I have turned down half of my crunchboxes, and will be rebuilding the remainder into converged storage/compute machines with decent GPUs. CPU-based grid compute projects have not been doing great lately :smithcloud:

Edit2: Okay, at least the DENIS people are good at follow-through. Also it turned out that both of their statements were true in a way: the main project is still paused, but beta WUs are flowing. I've got 38 of them right now.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 18, 2023

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

A WCG update appears!

quote:

Mapping Cancer Markers: We have increased the number of threads assigned to creation of MCM workunits by about 60% on each workunit management server. As a result, the 7 day average of completed batches sent back to MCM1 research servers (10,000 workunits to a batch) has risen to 57 from 45, roughly a 25% increase. As we increased the number of threads in a two-step process and conducted maintenance on the storage server twice during the 7 day period over which the average is calculated, we do expect this number to increase further even without additional adjustment. We will continue to assess whether we can optimize it more (without interfering with the work currently underway at SHARCNET to resolve our network congestion ticket and move to the new, faster storage server).

Africa Rainfall Project: The ARP team is finalizing storage issues, and plans to resume downloading results from our servers, which will enable more workunits to be sent to volunteers. Workunits are being sent out at a slower rate due to the backlog of completed results. Further, errors in specific generations have caused some generations to lag behind. Together with the ARP team we have investigated the cause of these errors, and we determined that re-sending them after adjusting the granularity/time-step should resolve the problem.

OpenPandemics: As mentioned in a previous update, OPNG workunits are paused as the team is preparing a new set of protein targets. We will provide an update once the new workunits are ready to be distributed.

Help Stop TB: The team has been analyzing previous results and devising new strategies for the search. We are waiting for the Help Stop TB team to provide us with new workunits.

Smash Childhood Cancer: Once the team finalizes new targets, they will be able to prepare workunits for the next phase of the SCC project.

So the good news is that all extant projects are working on new work. And the downside is that Sharcnet still hasn't fixed WCG's network issues or moved them to solid state storage arrays.

Also, DENIS beta WUs continue to flow. My machines have crunched over a thousand of them in the past 48h.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 21, 2023

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Aaaaaaaand DENIS is going back into hiatus for "a few more weeks" after this round of beta WUs.

DENIS posted:

After analyzing our results, we believe that one of the limiting factors could be in the number of simulations we do to fit the behavior of the model in the experiment. Therefore, before continuing with the model fit, we are going to do a new test to study this in detail. We just put in new simulations to help us analyze this experiment to see if we can improve the model and its fit.

Thank you for your patience during this break. After analyzing the results of this experiment we hope to be able to resume the simulations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

mdxi posted:

A WCG update appears!

So the good news is that all extant projects are working on new work. And the downside is that Sharcnet still hasn't fixed WCG's network issues or moved them to solid state storage arrays.

Looks like they're starting to send out ARP WUs again. Unrelatedly, my WCG downloads have stalled and hit a project backoff.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

Looks like they're starting to send out ARP WUs again. Unrelatedly, my WCG downloads have stalled and hit a project backoff.

Lots of people were reporting the return of network issues with the return of ARP WUs, but I've actually gotten a few of those and OPNs during the past day:
code:
# farmctl query community -c
------------------------------------------------------------------------- node01
WUs for World Community Grid in past 24 hours: 66
Total CPU time used:  8d 11h 55min 19s

------------------------------------------------------------------------- node03
WUs for World Community Grid in past 24 hours: 59
Total CPU time used:  6d 00h 54min 40s

# farmctl query community -c -t ARP
------------------------------------------------------------------------- node01
WUs matching 'ARP' for World Community Grid in past 24 hours: 2
Total CPU time used:  1d 01h 48min 39s

# farmctl query community -c -t OPN
WUs matching 'OPN' for World Community Grid in past 24 hours: 4
Total CPU time used:  07h 38min 46s

------------------------------------------------------------------------- node03
WUs matching 'OPN' for World Community Grid in past 24 hours: 11
Total CPU time used:  20h 06min 22s
...with another 10 ARP WUs running right now. Looks good for now, but all we can do is see how long it lasts. Sigh.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

WCG

The OpenZika team published a new article on their research. Key item:

OpenZika posted:

From almost 404 million results generated by WCG, amounting to almost 93 thousand years of computation, 61 hits were prioritized for testing. Using enzymatic and phenotypic assays, five compounds were ultimately selected as they inhibited the function of or destabilized the three viral proteins of interest, NS2B-NS3 protease, NS3 helicase and NS5-polymerase proteins. Further tests identified 8 compounds as being able to protect the cells from death caused by the virus, while showing low cellular toxicity in liver and kidney-derived cells. The two sets of 5 and 8 molecules overlap for two compounds, named by the authors LabMol-301 and LabMol-212.

WGC also announced that all OPN WUs are now exhausted until that team finalizes their work on designing and generating new batches of WUs.

ARP is also still on hold pending new WUs from that team.

FAH

No update on anything specific from FAH themselves, but I recently started folding on my desktop's CPU -- the only machine I have doing FAH on CPU. I wasn't expecting massive numbers out of it compared to a GPU, but I was shocked at how close it was between a relatively-new CPU and the several-generations-old GPU in my desktop:
  • Ryzen 5600X (Eco, 45W): ~300k PPD
  • GTX 1650 (75W): ~450kPPD
You can read this one of two ways: modern high core count CPUs do better at FAH than you may have thought, or older low-end GPUs do really badly at FAH compared to nearly everything.

Team-wise, the push to 50B points continues. Currently at 47.3B

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

The DENIS team has announced a good news/bad news situation:

quote:

First, the good news: thanks to the results you've sent in, we have been able to identify the problem with the marker and gain a better understanding of what was happening. Additionally, it turns out that we won't need to increase the number of simulations per iteration, which is good news (for us).

However, there is also some bad news to report. We've discovered that the behavior of the model with this marker is highly non-linear, which means that it cannot be effectively addressed within the framework of our current approximation. While this could be disappointing, we can assume this limitation in the model, as it was measured experimentally under unrealistic conditions.

Once we've fine-tuned the model, we will determine whether this non-linear behavior persists, or whether it disappears with the changes we've made. If the issue does persist, we'll need to address it in the next phase of our work, which means there may be more work to come for some of you. We'll keep you updated on our progress.
I wasn't the only one who found the phrasing of that last bit unclear. In an update from the forums:

quote:

We know now that one of the characteristics will not be included in this version, so we will need you for the next improvement of the model. This, in addition to the other subprojects that we have not yet started. In short, we will continue needing you.

So: they're having to make more drastic changes to their software model, but there is more work planned. It's just going to be even longer before that work gets into our grubby little mitts.

In personal news, I hit 1B points for FAH yesterday :gaz:

I'm also experimenting with under-watting Nvidia GPUs and characterizing their performance. It's gonna take some weeks to get a good, well-averaged dataset though. My control data is 10 weeks of running a 3060 Ti stock (200W); the current experiment is running the same GPU limited to 150W. I'm both abstractly interested in this, and view it as important for gathering performance metrics ahead of summer crunching since my nodes are still in an un-airconditioned garage and there are no plans to move them.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

DENIS is serving WUs again. Their most recent post makes it sound like they're in a testing period, in order to refine their model, before going back to full-time research work. But if you're down with supporting a beta phase of a project, that's happening now.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

And they'd been doing so well for the past week. I mean, not compared to the old WCG, but...

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

World Community Grid
WCG has been down for 10 days now. Summarizing a week of twitter updates:
  • Their RAID card failure turned out to be a PCI backplane failure in a storage enclosure
  • The drives were thus moved into a temporary, spare enclosure
  • Database filesystems were recognized, repaired, and are online
  • The "science" filesystem [Ed: I assume this is where WUs are issued from and received to] was not and remains down
That's it. Last update 22h ago, with no forward-looking statement, and it's become very clear that neither WCG or their datacenter partner do anything on any weekend or holiday.

DENIS
Testing continues and the new model continues to tighten up:

quote:

Dear volunteers,
Allow me a brief message to update you on how the results are going after 15 more days of simulation.
5 iterations of the algorithm have already been completed. Of the 100 markers that we are using, 89 have already been achieved in the normal range (initially only 77 were). On the other hand, the distance between the average experimental behavior and the model has been reduced by 56.84%.

Several parameters of the algorithm indicate that there is still room for improvement.

We will keep you informed.

Folding@Home
We're almost to 50B points, and are up to 59th overall.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mdxi posted:

Folding@Home
We're almost to 50B points, and are up to 59th overall.

Ugh I really need to hurry up and fix the fan situation on my partner's computer so I can have that running full-tilt for the next 3 months until we need to start using A/C.

Meant to do that all this winter but I got busy with . . . everything. RIP.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Zarin posted:

Ugh I really need to hurry up and fix the fan situation on my partner's computer so I can have that running full-tilt for the next 3 months until we need to start using A/C.

On the flipside, I'm already experimenting with power-limiting GPUs, in order to revise my year-round crunching strategy. Last year I gave up on keeping the machines in the house with me and banished them to the (not climate controlled) garage and played how-low-can-you-go with Ryzen's PBO + PPT. I feel like everything I learned on the CPU side last year can be summed up as "with a good cooler and airflow, just setting Eco Mode is good enough".

I was still running old, low-power GPUs (GTX 1650 non-Super) all summer though, but in autumn I shut four of those down in favor of a single 3060 Ti, which I let run wide open all winter.

I've since added a second 3060 Ti, and have been letting it crunch at 150W rather than the stock limit of 200. I expect that as the weather warms up I'll be turning them both down to 125W or possibly even 100W. In any case, I should have more numbers to share by the time things heat up in more northerly climes (I'm in the desert southwest of the US). I'm waiting for reviews on the 4070 (non-Ti) before getting a third new GPU though.

Anyway, the nutshell version of my learnings so far are that (1) Nvidia GPU performance/watt graph is very linear, opposed to Ryzen's inverse hockey stick, and (2) it's really easy to set power limits under Linux; just two commands, with instant response, and you can play around with it at runtime.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

FAH science updates! First one is deep for me, but if I'm reading correctly then a specific gene (examined by FAH) has been targeted as a site for stopping some leukemias in actual human trials.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05755-9

Second one is less dense: FAH work has led to a predictive AI system which gives researchers as a very fast tool to determine if a specific protein is worth deeper research looking for "cryptic pocket" drug targeting sites. This makes it feasible to do studies which could result in a doubling a treatable cancers.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/n...iously-believed

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

WCG Update

I'm rapidly running out of fucks for their systems problems. The current status seems to be (warning: I've been skimming rather than reading carefully) that all data is verified as intact, but it's living on temporary hardware so they don't want to restart everything just to shut it down again in a week to transition to their new storage array. At the least, they have refactored and old design decision which meant that the website was down whenever any of WCG's filesystems were not available, so now the site can be up when BOINC is offline.

Meanwhile, there are actual updates from three subprojects.

• SCC - Most exciting to me is the news that SCC is ready to relaunch. "The new target protein is MyoD1 (Myogenic Differentiation 1 protein) and one of its mutations, L122R. MyoD1 is a transcription factor that activates muscle-specific genes, and is involved in the switch between cell growth and cell differentiation. The loss of control over this switch can cause the formation of rhabdomyosarcomas." Full article here
  • ARP - Basically, the ARP team has been having data problems of their own, as in they generate too much of it and have had to shop around to various academic bodies to get hosting. But now they'd like to return to service and run their last 100 days of simulations. Full article here
  • MCM - A very deep look into a result from their lung cancer analysis, focusing on a single gene. Full article

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

FAH

Either yesterday or the day before, team SAGoons passed the 50 billion point mark :toot:

We are currently 59th overall (up from 64th roughly a year ago) and 32nd for the month (monthly rankings are much more volatile, but fun).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
WCG has finally fixed their poo poo, moved their data to SSDs, and I'm currently running OPNG WUs.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/article.s?articleId=784

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Took another day, but one of my nodes has finally picked up WCG WUs again (MCM and OPN so far; really want new SCC WUs)

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

DENIS

I've been seeing large batches of WUs every few days, lately. From a recent update, it sounds like they're trying to tune their model further:

quote:

In recent weeks the search algorithm has been improving the model very little. This indicates us that the optimization is close to be finished. Once this is complete we will pass to the validation phase which we will be done outside of DENIS...

...looking at the results, last week we started a new optimization by changing an aspect of it. In the initial search, if one of the markers was in the experimentally observed range, we did not allow the algorithm to search where that marker was outside of the experimental range (criterion of keeping at least those markers that were already in the experimental range). In the new search we are allowing it in the hope that even if some marker goes out, the overall behavior will improve. In this case, the uncertainty about the result is higher, but as you can see in the graph below, after the first iterations of the algorithm, the results are quite promising.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

WCG

SCC has restarted:

quote:

The SCC team began research into a new target named FLI-1, a gene that controls cell proliferation, differentiation and survival. When fused with EWSR1, the combined protein of EWS-FLI-1 is an important factor in the growth of Ewing’s sarcoma cells. Creating countermeasures against FLI1 in the form of inhibitors may lead to curing Ewing’s sarcoma in the future.
Full article

I'm seeing very, very small numbers of SCC WUs, but I am happy to see them for the first time in about two years.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Just installed a 4070, and the first FAH WU that it pulled was w e e d s c i e n c e

quote:

Endocannabinoids are produced in postsynaptic neurons and bind to Cannabinoid Receptors to maintain homeostasis in neuron signaling and a plethora of physiological processes. These receptors are targeted for pain, obesity, and other central nervous system disorders. Endocannabinoids show more than 10-fold selectivity towards CB1 compared to CB2. Therefore, a mechanistic understanding of endocannabinoid selectivity will help us design selective therapeutics. In this project, we are running binding simulation of anandmide to CB1 and CB2 to decipher ligand selectivity.
:2bong::okpos:

Seriously though, I didn't know that FAH was beginning to do basic research on cannabinoids. I suppose the weed research goldrush is beginning (or has begun).

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I got a 4070 and did some testing with FAH: http://firepear.net/grid/updates-2022/

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Recently picked up a used EVGA 3080TI FTW3 and started to let it crunch Einstein units. Seems to do really well. There is a Somethingawful team for Einstein but its pretty thin with only 4 members in its ranks. Two that are active including myself. I like the project tho so I'll let it keep crunching for a while.

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/5/user/list/0/0/780/#2

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

yummycheese posted:

Recently picked up a used EVGA 3080TI FTW3 and started to let it crunch Einstein units. Seems to do really well. There is a Somethingawful team for Einstein but its pretty thin with only 4 members in its ranks. Two that are active including myself. I like the project tho so I'll let it keep crunching for a while.

Thanks for the reminder about Einstein. With WCG's interminable and ongoing problems, I decided to reattach my CPUs to the project and switched to the SA team.

In other news (or news-adjacent things), DENIS hasn't published a new update but they did push out a new batch of some tens of thousands of WUs yesterday. I assume they're continuing work to refine their model.

I'm out of words for WCG at this point. They have become the partner that you love dearly, but who is having problems and refuses to talk about them in any meaningful way. Many people on their forums have been posting loudly about how they're gonna take their cores and go home -- which I think is a very boomer approach to the problem, though I certainly also feel the frustration. Personally I'm pondering just switching entirely over to FAH, since their focus is also biomedical and that's very important to me... but that's not a decision I'm going to make quickly or out of pique.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

mdxi posted:

I'm out of words for WCG at this point. They have become the partner that you love dearly, but who is having problems and refuses to talk about them in any meaningful way. Many people on their forums have been posting loudly about how they're gonna take their cores and go home -- which I think is a very boomer approach to the problem, though I certainly also feel the frustration. Personally I'm pondering just switching entirely over to FAH, since their focus is also biomedical and that's very important to me... but that's not a decision I'm going to make quickly or out of pique.
I want to support WCG for their medical projects, but also ARP. I’ve kept SIDock@home as a secondary project though. I’m not willing to move outside of the boinc ecosystem, so while I’d prefer WCG get their poo poo together, it doesn’t particularly bother me, since i don’t need to change anything about my setup

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

A first for me: having DENIS, Einstein, Milkyway, and WCG WUs all in flight on one machine.

Also, I finally passed 390y of CPU time for WCG. I used to be ticking over a decade of CPU time every 20 calendar days or so, but it has taken from the IBM hand-off until now for me to go from 378 CPU-years to 390. I feel like that says more about the problems they've been having than any words i can put together.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:patriot: Looking good.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

yummycheese posted:

I've been blasting einstein on my main pc for a while and I'm on the SA team on this: https://einsteinathome.org/community/teams/173122/members , but not on the BOINC stats. Thats a separate team thing huh?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Lobsterboy posted:

I've been blasting einstein on my main pc for a while and I'm on the SA team on this: https://einsteinathome.org/community/teams/173122/members , but not on the BOINC stats. Thats a separate team thing huh?

Most projects implemented a GDPR checkbox that controls data exfiltration, and it's off by default. Check that.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

mdxi posted:

Most projects implemented a GDPR checkbox that controls data exfiltration, and it's off by default. Check that.

ah beans, okay updated that and it now has my host on BOINCstats but nothing connected. I'll give it a day or two and see if that synchs.

edit:
ah yeah I have my old pc on one user: https://www.boincstats.com/stats/-1/user/detail/1550037/projectList
and the new pc on another user: https://www.boincstats.com/stats/-1/user/detail/171916629747/projectList

ah well. at least it updated!

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 4, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
A friend of mine has a synology nas and a lot of extra storage laying around that she doesn't know what to do with. Is there a storage heavy grid computing workload she could dedicate it to? Run a waffleimages node?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
I've never heard of one. The problem is going to be bandwidth. If she wants to do a community service she could sign up as a Bittorrent mirror for some obscure scientific content, open source distributions, etc. - in other words legal content. She could even earn "torrent-coins" for hosting, with some clients.

For example, some of the content on The Internet Archive has torrent downloads, and you might want to seed those files to help other people download them faster.

Another thing she might do is digitize movies and other cultural artefacts which aren't in the public domain for preservation for the future, but she can't legally open that up for other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Updates, for the first time in a long time!

WCG

Mapping Cancer Markers

quote:

We continue our analysis of the most common biomarkers amongst lung cancer patients. Following discussion of the genes VAMP1 and FARP1 that were described in our March and April updates, here we focus on GSDMB. ... Similarly to VAMP1 and FARP1 genes, we investigated the role of GSDMB in lung cancer, and found that its presence has a protective role in lung cancer ... Extending our observation beyond lung cancer, as it is an aim of our WCG project, we find that GSDMB behaves in a similar way in the majority of tested cancers. This suggests that GSDMB has an important role in carcinogenesis
Full update

Africa Rainfall Project

quote:

The ARP project running at the WCG produces a very large dataset. At this moment, there is about 300TB in more than four million files. Storing and moving such enormous amounts of data is not trivial. Until now, all data was stored in the computing centre of SURF, the cooperative association of Dutch educational and research institutions. After about four years of support, the ARP at SURF is about to end. So what to do with the data?

We were very fortunate that, earlier this year, a cloud service provider has agreed to host the data. Presently, the file formats are not very user-friendly but once the move is complete, the files will be transformed to a format that can be used by most researchers. First, this will be organized in individual files that the user has to download. Pretty soon, however, we hope to have a simple map-based interface that would enable users to outline an area of interest and select a period of time as well as the weather variable of interest, after which all chosen data can be downloaded in one file.
(Basically the whole update. Also, as someone who used to manage a 6PB storage cluster holding billions of objects with a three person team, I find it curious that some portions of academia find storing 0.3PB across 0.04B objects challenging?)

DENIS

quote:

June Update
he optimization of the new model we are developing has already finished (the first one we released). Unfortunately the results have not been as expected. The optimization has worked very well and many markers have been improved, but one of the model issues that we are trying to fix has reappeared after the optimization. We think we understand where the problem is coming from and why it seemed like we fixed it, but really didn't. If we are right, this will require rethinking the model and starting over. Before starting again, we are testing various optimization settings to try to optimize the model without getting to the point where the problem reappears. We're not sure if it will work (this is science), but before we have to start over, we want to test this option.

On the other hand, some of you have already noticed that we are launching work in the Beta version. One of our pending projects was to use DENIS not only to improve the model we were developing, but also to try to improve other existing models. Let's start with this part of the project. For now, we will use the O'Hara and Rudy model, one of the most used in research.

August Update
We are approaching the month of August in which the university rests for vacations. While we may not stop completely, the number of tasks available this month will be fewer. Our attention to the state of the server will be reduced, so we do not want to take the risk of saturating it.

Between the 20th to 28th the stop of new tasks will be total, resuming normal activity from the 29th or 30th.

I take this opportunity to tell you that the different variations of the optimization are continuing, in some cases it seems that we could obtain better results, but we are going to be cautious, when they are finished we will inform you of the final result.