Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vir posted:

Folding@Home has released the CUDA folding core. There are also some bug fixes for AMD cards, but with this the Nvidia cards have an even bigger advantage for folding.

Yeah it's super dumb (in a good way!). I went from 540k PPD to over 1.05m overnight. Absolutely silly.

Is there any reason why I *shouldn't* run Folding@Home on my CPU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vir posted:

If you have a low core count CPU without AVX support, you probably shouldn't CPU fold. Also, if your CPU clocks down too much, it starts to bottleneck the GPU folding - at least it used to under OpenCL. So if you are GPU folding with an old CPU you might want to see if your toal system PPD rises with or without CPU folding enabled.

CPU folding is less energy efficient than GPU folding, so if you need to run your air conditioner, then you should probably pause CPU folding until the weather gets colder.

Even so, Folding@Home needs CPU folders, so CPU folding isn't dead.

Looks like I have an i7-8700k; I currently have it set at 10 threads, which I think is -1 for each GPU I have (there are two in this machine at the moment; one for gaming, and another extra spare one I have that just does folding 24/7)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BurritoJustice posted:

I started folding the other day, with the following specs:

9900K @5.1 all core avx
32gb 4000mhz
2x GTX980 @ 1550mhz

I first ran it for a while and I was getting around 180k per day on my CPU and around 800-820k on each of the GPUs, but I had a system crash because of something unrelated (bethesda engine bullshit) and now when I go to fold the CPU is running around the same but the GPUs are sitting on like, 10k each. Which is obviously not worth it for the electricity used. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also holy gently caress but goons are 69th in the world in f@h, thats crazy good

I've sometimes had spots where I had low PPD and letting it get through a work unit or two fixed it.

Vir's answer was better, I'm just +1 on it basically