Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I setup F@H on a few computers but they haven't had many work units available due to the uptick in people in the last week or two. Is rosetta at home having the same work shortage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SETI@home will stop distributing work in a couple of days:
https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

quote:

SETI@home hibernation
On March 31, the volunteer computing part of SETI@home will stop distributing work and will go into hibernation.

We're doing this for two reasons:

1) Scientifically, we're at the point of diminishing returns; basically, we've analyzed all the data we need for now.

2) It's a lot of work for us to manage the distributed processing of data. We need to focus on completing the back-end analysis of the results we already have, and writing this up in a scientific journal paper.

However, SETI@home is not disappearing. The web site and the message boards will continue to operate. We hope that other UC Berkeley astronomers will find uses for the huge computing capabilities of SETI@home for SETI or related areas like cosmology and pulsar research. If this happens, SETI@home will start distributing work again. We'll keep you posted about this.

If you're currently running SETI@home on your computer, we encourage you to attach to other BOINC-based projects as well. Or use Science United and sign up to do astronomy. You can stay attached to SETI@home, of course, but you won't get any jobs until we find new applications.

We're extremely grateful to all of our volunteers for supporting us in many ways during the past 20 years. Without you there would be no SETI@home. We're excited to finish up our original science project, and we look forward to what comes next.
2 Mar 2020, 21:16:23 UTC · Discuss

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

taiyoko posted:

I'm considering switching off Folding and over to Rosetta and/or TN because I'm not fond of how few config options there are for Folding versus BOINC, and I have to manually exit the program at night because my computer is in my bedroom, and while BOINC respects sleep mode, Folding does not and will only lock my screen instead of letting the system sleep.

I've started moving some of my stuff over to BOINC because folding doesn't have any work.

edit: the setup was pretty easy, just run the installer, see no projects available, wonder what the hell, close the project adder, open it again, pick the project from the list, make a login, join goons, and now it's using some cores.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I didn't realize there was a BOINC for android. I have like 50 phones that used to be for GPT earning stuff that aren't in use right now, might put a few on there and see how hot they get.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vir posted:

The F@H statistics page has been given a makeover. It now displays team logos for those that have it, and it has also broken the client's web frontend.

SAGoons is ranked 69, but lacks a logo: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/150

Old page: https://statsclassic.foldingathome.org/team/150

:nice:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't really keep up with all the goings on of these distributed computing services. I appreciate your posts keeping us up to date about them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've left a VM with six cores on Rosetta@home and it was idle for a lot of the summer (not that I'm complaining when it's hot). It seems to have picked up work in the last few weeks and is going again, though. I'm sure a lot of people switched off when it wasn't doing anything for so long.