Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Tuxide posted:

On Asteroids@Home, Team Something Awful isn't that big and we're nowhere near the top ten, but for some odd reason I do find a bit of pride in our recent credit score:

I don't know who is actually in charge of these goon teams, looks like it's mainly inactive goons...but perhaps they should be linked to the OP, so that goons actually know that they're there in case they want to join them.

I'll put some time into mapping asteroids and pulling further ahead of 4chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I just made myself captain of the Something Awful team on World Community Grid by accident.

That's a little awkward.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I signed the Something Awful team at World Community Grid up for a competition to see which team can earn the most points between today and December 2nd, so turn your machines on if they're idle goons!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Tuxide posted:

I contributed some WUs to this during the time period, did we win anything?

We came in 8th place with 1 million points earned. Which I thought was a rather respectable showing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Cracked 1,000 results returned on WCG. :toot:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I passed passed 2,000 results returned on WCG :toot:

My new AMD 3600 has tripled my daily results. I just switched over to crunching on my Linux boot to see if that gives faster results. The WCG forums says it does.

The Something Awful team hit new highs on the New Year. 69 (nice) days run time and 663 results returned.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

mdxi posted:

:toot::toot:

:toot::toot::toot: I love Zen 2.

Edit: WCG's FAH2 is shipping WUs again. Has been since the day before Christmas, but I got my first one late last night, and ran to the forums for confirmation.

Yeah Zen 2 has been great.

I see I got 1 FAH2 task on the 5th. I recently deselected MCM to work on other badges, but it's just been a sea of MIP1 with 1 African Rainfall task thrown in.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I got the gold badge for 90 days CPU time contributed to the Mircobiome Immunity Project.

Broke 200+ results returned on the 6th.

Something Awful team reached 700+ results returned on the 8th. The highest since 2017.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I passed 3,500 results returned on WCG today and reached 50th on the SomethingAwful team ranking. (49th on points!)

I think I'll finish up today's tasks and move to Asteroids@Home for a little bit to boost the SomethingAwful team there for a week or so.

edit: I see A@H WUs give a flat 480 points of credit regardless of completion time.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 19, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've moved back to crunching WCG tasks since Asteroids work units ran out on the 21st.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Yeah that's not good.

Team leaders have access to our email addresses.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Tuxide posted:

Anyone know who Zilcon is, the founder of Team Something Awful on Asteroids@Home? Looks like some pubbie just joined a few days ago and is attempting a hostile takeover.

I searched the forums and believe it might be Zil. I've sent them a PM asking if they are and about the situation.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

To clarify. They can send us emails, but I'm not sure if the founder on Asteroids@Home can see what our email address is.

As the team leader on WCG I can send members emails through the email team panel, but it's just a box where I can type a message and hit send and WCG/BOINC handles the rest. I can't see actual addresses.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

^^I'm glad that matter has been resolved. I'm sorry this got overlooked due the A@H situation:

mdxi posted:

WCG stats for my team as of this evening:
code:
Total Run Time (y:d:h:m:s) (Rank)    100:002:00:45:21 (#1,100)
Points Generated (Rank)              254,878,839 (#617)
Results Returned (Rank)              410,516 (#696)
First century of CPU time!

* Started with one machine, on 14 Jan 2018
* Took just over one year to reach 25 years of compute (19 Jan 2019; up to 3 machines at that point)
* Hit 50 years just under 7 months later (12 July 2019; 4 machines online; one upgraded to 3900X)
* A little under 4 months later (3 Nov 2019) was 75 years. All 4 machines were 3900X by this point, the final 2700 having been swapped out a week before
* Just over 3 months later, today, 100 years. 6 machines crunching; four 3900Xs and two 2700s

I'm effectively out of space and power, so from here on out I'm only getting more CPU through upgrade cycles :science:

Congratulations mdxi! Those are amazing numbers!

You are probably returning more results than the entire SomethingAwful Team! I've only just reached 1 year total run time myself after three months.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The Something Awful team has climbed to 30 in recent average credit. Surpassing the LinusTechTips Team and have reached 248 in total credit rankings. :toot:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Wow Folding@Home has passed 1 exaflop.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=791

Good news from Asteroids@Home. They're now supporting Volta and Turning cards from Nvidia.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

jonathan posted:

welp, time to shut down my main f@h setup. I got into the top 300 in the goon team, but now it's starting to heat up the home office. LoL fun idea: add a module to the client that google's the temperature and only runs during a set outside value. Like 13c or less, run F@H.

I paused mine yesterday because my condo was getting really hot, but I'm so close to twenty million points. I'll turn it back on tomorrow and crank up the AC.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

mdxi posted:

My team (which is effectively just me) is now ranked 499th by points for World Community Grid.

This is kinda awesome, because it means that one person with 6 modern, high-core CPUs can crack the top 500 of a major community computing initiative. But it's also kinda sad, because maybe one person with only 6 CPUs shouldn't be able to make it into the top 500?

It's definitely a proof of the compute efficiency of current-gen desktop CPUs though. I'm 499 by points, but 572 by WUs returned and 882 by cumulative compute time.

This post sponsored by AMD's upcoming 4th generation Ryzen processors

You're slightly edging out the entire SA WCG team in result turn-ins. What are the six CPUs that you're using?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for the updates mdxi! It's nice to be able to read all the news in one place and in one post.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Congrats to Phuzun for breaking two billion points on Fo!lding@Home!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

22.6.1 Release Notes

quote:

Known Issues

Lower than expected Folding@home™ compute performance with OpenCL™ API on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800

Oh hey. AMD finally noticed the absolutely terrible OpenCL performance on its GPUs. My 6700xt was doing half the output as my old GTX1080 and a third of what the 6700xt it did on the 21.3.2 driver.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

OhFunny posted:

22.6.1 Release Notes

Oh hey. AMD finally noticed the absolutely terrible OpenCL performance on its GPUs. My 6700xt was doing half the output as my old GTX1080 and a third of what the 6700xt it did on the 21.3.2 driver.

22.7.1 Release Notes

quote:

Fixed Issues

Lower than expected Folding@home™ compute performance with OpenCL™ API on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800.

Finally. I loaded up a F@H work task and things are looking like they should now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Speaking of projects having trouble getting things set back up.

Asteroids@Home went down due to server problems over two(?) years ago. They made a post on the new website I've linked (the link in the OP is dead) saying they'll have the project back up and running in two weeks two months ago.