Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweeter99
Nov 8, 2016

Tuxide posted:

In other news, in Asteroids@Home Team Something Awful has broken the Top 100 in recent average credit for the first time since I've been tracking it. This score goes up and down quite dynamically depending on availability of WUs and how many goons we have dedicated to the project, but this is the first time I've seen us break 100--we're #99 now. Our total credit score has been going up too, we're now #361 in rank. This is an awfully big deal to me because I don't want to see space rocks with dumb names like (9001) Derpyhooves going around our sun.

I just started up this week and joined the team so I'm glad to see it's making a difference!

I have a question though, I've been trying running the BOINC client in several different OS to get the best bang for my buck here. It seems like running the client in a VM running Ubuntu is better than just in a BSD jail which is kind of backwards to what I was originally thinking. What is the best OS and does the BOINC client version also matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweeter99
Nov 8, 2016

yummycheese posted:

I seem to be unable to create an account on climateprediction.net via the BOINC manager at the moment. Its been telling me account creation is disabled. Not sure if its due to them having a lack of work. Looking around their site all their projects seem to have no WU's available except for the linux only "UK Met Office HadAM4 at N216 resolution" project.

I have found that the majority of projects seem to have issues signing up for accounts through BOINCstats or through the BOINC manager. I usually end up having to go directly to the project's site and create an account there and then punch in the login info as an existing account in BOINC manager.

I just created an account here: https://www.cpdn.org/create_account_form.php

then I was able to link it up to my BOINC manager by selecting the climate prediction project in the project list and entering my account details. It doesn't look like a very active project with only ~2k WU's ready to be sent out to ~10k computers.

Tweeter99
Nov 8, 2016
Looks like rosetta@home may be running a bit low on WU's.

The stats here: https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/server_status.php show only 2151 WU's ready to be sent out.

In the past week I usually see it up around 20k and have had no issues getting WU's. I'm guessing this is due to the influx of new users. If this does keep up though, does anyone know if there is any other BOINC projects doing COVID-19 CPU work that could use a hand?

Tweeter99
Nov 8, 2016
Thanks Tuxide, I'm all signed up for TN-Grid now. Looks like we can easily get to the top 20 on this project :rock: