Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

F@H doesn't seem to have many CPU WUs available, but it's keeping my GPU fed. R@H has plenty of CPU WUs though (some of which are labeled COVID-19), so I'm running both and just set F@H to only use the GPU and R@H to only use the CPU.

My desktop is burning about 325W continuously (stock CPU clocks, 80% performance target for GPU) which will cost about $35/month if I run it nonstop at $0.15/kWh. The combined workload is actually hitting the efficiency sweet spot on the power supply; the UPS reports a power factor of 0.95.

I've spent many hours today messing with fan curves and voltages and clock speeds, and this is definitely scratching the itch to tinker. I also get to watch numbers go up and maybe it'll help with the COVID-19 so that's a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

How much are you willing to spend on hardware, how much more of an electric bill are you willing to pay, and what aspect of this is most interesting to you? Are you more interested in optimizing for points/watt or hardware cost/point? Which projects do you want to run? If you just want to tinker with setting up a cluster of SBCs then get whichever one's most interesting to you and figure out how to make BOINC work on it. In the end you're making a donation so I recommend going for whatever setup is going to yield the most enjoyment and fit in your budget.

I'm running jobs because I want to contribute to science and don't want to spend a penny on hardware primarily for this, so I just run it on the machines I already own for other purposes.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 19, 2020

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sometimes F@H just doesn't have a work unit to hand out. They've had a big increase in users processing WUs since COVID-19 hit.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

mdxi posted:

Is anyone else getting hardware fever? Or at least hardware info fever? I want to plan a round of upgrades for later (likely much later) this year, but neither AMD or Nvidia are releasing any info on what's coming next for their product stacks.

The other day I found myself thinking about upgrading my low-end nodes to 3950Xs, which is just crazy talk with the 4000s on the (indefinite) horizon.

I had beaten my hardware addiction before grid computing pulled me back in. Now it's all "in the service of mankind", so I can justify almost anything. Thanks, science.

Yep, same. I keep reminding myself that grid computing is intended to be using the idle cycles on hardware I already own. Upgrading for the sake of make number go up faster is just an expensive form of masturbation.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's cool enough outside now so I'm turning on the space heater again. I got my fan curves and power limits dialed in so both CPU and GPU stay at a quiet and comfortable 65C while burning ~315W.

Folding@Home on the GPU, Rosetta and TN-Grid on the CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Maybe try distributing your nodes around the house rather than concentrating them in a single room. Then you would have less of a hotspot in your office for the central air to deal with. Since networking speed isn't all that important for this application you could connect them via wifi if you don't want to run ethernet everywhere.

As for hardware I just use what I have and don't buy anything specifically for distributed number crunching. In the winter I will spin up my desktop and use it as a space heater, and my desktop-class "server" in the basement can crunch year round.