Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I have a 1080 that is idle most of the day while I'm working from home, and now that SETI is out of units I'm throwing that and my i7 into Rosetta and F@H. What fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

I never removed SETI from my projects list since they said they would just stop sending out work units, but got a huge new dump of stuff in my BOINC queue. I assume its just sending out units that expired from other users not reporting in time, but hey, more ALIENS.

edit: it looks like its only GPU workunits, nothing CPU based.

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 22, 2020

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

mdxi posted:

I don't view it quite that harshly on the whole -- especially since my wife, who can usually be relied upon to be a more reasonable person than I am, opined that it was a good use of time and money compared to what a lot of guys in my age range (I'm a prime candidate for a mid-life crisis) spend money on. A lot of people spend more on ski gear for a season than I do on compute hardware in a year, and then there's the guys who snap and buy Porsche convertibles and/or boats.

I try to remember that and keep the weird impulses (like replacing CPUs with 3950s when I'm already planning to rebuild those machines in 6 months) in check. I admit that line of thinking was almost entirely fuelled by wanting to make the numbers go up, with a little bit of "god I need to do something" on the side. I'm currently trying to channel that feeling into something that doesn't involve spending money.

I definitely spend an extra $150 or whatever to get a fancy i7 for SETI / Boinc / WCG over whatever totally fine i5 I could have bought, just because I know that I can leave it on overnight crunching numbers and such whenever its not in use. Its much easier to rationalize getting the big beefy cpu when its always in use, right? :v:

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

I got a new pc built with an i9 that has been chugging through Einstein@home and my old pc setup and ready to hit WCG. Conveniently right as they are still fixing all the broken things. :v:

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

my old pc running WCG got a few workunits but not nearly enough to stay busy consistently. at least its nice to see they can move forwards with providing WUs!

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

Einstein@Home is still running strong, my new i9 has managed to claw itself up to third overall on the SA team since I built it. neat!

have not checked the old pc to see if WCG is actually sending units yet

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

old pc actually picked up WCG workunits about 2 weeks ago and has been chugging along slowly but surely, so at least thats a thing now.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

not a good hand-off for WCG huh

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

yummycheese posted:

Recently picked up a used EVGA 3080TI FTW3 and started to let it crunch Einstein units. Seems to do really well. There is a Somethingawful team for Einstein but its pretty thin with only 4 members in its ranks. Two that are active including myself. I like the project tho so I'll let it keep crunching for a while.

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/5/user/list/0/0/780/#2

I've been blasting einstein on my main pc for a while and I'm on the SA team on this: https://einsteinathome.org/community/teams/173122/members , but not on the BOINC stats. Thats a separate team thing huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

mdxi posted:

Most projects implemented a GDPR checkbox that controls data exfiltration, and it's off by default. Check that.

ah beans, okay updated that and it now has my host on BOINCstats but nothing connected. I'll give it a day or two and see if that synchs.

edit:
ah yeah I have my old pc on one user: https://www.boincstats.com/stats/-1/user/detail/1550037/projectList
and the new pc on another user: https://www.boincstats.com/stats/-1/user/detail/171916629747/projectList

ah well. at least it updated!

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 4, 2023