Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Started up folding@home a few days ago after a bit of a break. I'm ranked 636 in the SA team.

However it looks like as of this morning there are no cpu or gpu jobs. I guess I just did too much work. Is Rosetta's interface nice and simple ? I remember I did some gridcoin mining from boinc a couple years back and the interface was kinda confusing.

Also I'm surprised that there is no support for integrated intel GPU's. Currently I have an i3, a ryzen 2700 and a gtx1080ti working on stuff set to medium.

Edit: Set up boinc and joined the SA rosetta team. I'm running boinc set to 50% usage and folding@home set to light. Hopefully the combined two don't peg the machine at 100%. I'll do the name on my NUC units after I get back from the tire shop where I just had an unexpected $6000 bill :(

jonathan fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tuxide posted:

Some more number movements this week.
In Folding@home, we remain on #49. The project as a whole is now 2.4 exaFLOPS. It was 1.5 exaFLOPS only two and a half weeks ago, so if the trend continues then it will probably be double that amount by the end of April.

When I first checked a few days back, Team SA was reported at #46

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm having trouble finding the # of work days settings in boinc (or whatever was mentioned in the responses to my questions a few days up). I was using the actual boinc manager settings within the app in my sys tray. Not the web interface.
I set max storage to 5gb as I don't want it filling up my system SSD and im too lazy to redirect it to a platter drive.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also who the gently caress is thomasteo, I'll never get to the #1 spot with that person running his hardware. Does he work at a lab somewhere ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tuxide posted:

This is the setting we're talking about. What I have shown is fine for something like Asteroids, but I wouldn't recommend it for COVID-19 stuff.

Thanks, I did .2 and .3 days for those. somehow those weren't showing before.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ah I was just being pretend over aggressive because you can click users and then see the details of the hardware they're using. He (or She) is running 6 machines that are all set up for lab style number crunching or rendering or something. Nvidia Quadro gpus, Intel Xeon 16 core processors etc. I was hoping he'd pop up and say "oh yeah I work in a lab doing butt plug CNC design" or something.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
does GPUgrid have no work ? I haven't done any work in the 24 hrs since signing up with it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks, it might've been a harddrive space thing blocking it from grabbing tasks. I can't figure out how to change where it stores the tasks and completed work.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For awhile for fun I was running an old pc in my work truck off an inverter down at the work yard. I was having issues when it was -40 so instead of running a heater inside I ran a F@H machine and surprisingly it kept the interior above freezing.

Specifically the issues were cans of V8 juice exploding inside the fridge. Also froze a bottle of vodka solid and instead of blowing up it just pushed vodka out the sealed cap.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
just installed the newest version of f@h, and it wont let me add my 1080ti gpu in a slot. F@h version 7.6.9. It lets me add it to the list and it shows up under the cpu slot, and then when I hit save it flickers and doesn't keep the gpu in the second slot. I go back in and it only shows the cpu.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chikimiki posted:

Similar problem here, I just installed f@h on my PC (total newbie here) and it will only recognize my CPU, but not my 1060 GPU. Wondering if this is linked to the latest GeForce drivers?

Fixed it but forgot to comment here; I updated to the newest geforce driver and checked "clean install" in the installer. Then I reinstalled f@home and it detected it right away.

Apparently this can happen if there are residual config files left by f@h when you reinstall it (I was moving the data directory off my system SSD)

jonathan fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
welp, time to shut down my main f@h setup. I got into the top 300 in the goon team, but now it's starting to heat up the home office. LoL fun idea: add a module to the client that google's the temperature and only runs during a set outside value. Like 13c or less, run F@H.