Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I run BOINC purely from a hobbyist aspect; I'm in nobody's top 10 (or even 100) but I like seeing what machines tossed by other people are still capable of doing.

I have a few machines running Einstein@Home and hope maybe someday I'll get a pulsar named after me.

Once I got an AMD GPU card out of a MicroCenter bargain bin, re-thermaled it, and it's currently the top producer of WUs out of all the machines I run currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Curiously, Apple has kept the legacy OpenCL (v1.2) even in its latest version of macOS; they even re-wrote it to run natively under the new Apple Silicon CPUs.

Apple did this so that the current plethora of scientific software written for Intel chips would either run without modification under Rosetta, or just require a recompile with the latest Xcode with another flag set for M1 code..

I doubt you'll ever find anyone on the forums willingly running Folding@Home on a Mac because the Folding software authors are either totally uninterested in writing in old OpenCL code or feel that they don't need to give Macs GPU support, which pisses Mac users off and then they'll join a project that DOES support Apple GPUs like Einstein.. and the CPU client definitely is not really optimized on Mac.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 4, 2021