Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Exmond posted:

I'm IN and I'm so ballsy I will :toxx:

Hit my 50K and "Won" nano. It was fun just blasting out the first draft, but there are a ton of problems with my last act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Probably could have won yesterday if I'd forced it but today is just as good. 50k! Just gotta finish up the story now.

I'm really glad that I managed to do this. After last year being a bust, and really struggling a lot in the middle of this year, I was afraid that my first win was going to be a fluke. It's good to see that I can do it a little more reliably than I thought.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CantDecideOnAName posted:

I'm really glad that I managed to do this. After last year being a bust, and really struggling a lot in the middle of this year, I was afraid that my first win was going to be a fluke. It's good to see that I can do it a little more reliably than I thought.

This was my first time trying it and I busted out pretty hard as well. I may have barely reached 20k if I really felt like gathering up every assorted scrap I wrote and tallying it up.

But still, it was a fun and I actually got something written down instead of just endlessly planning.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And that's numberwang for me at 50.5k.

Yeah, the short story idea really worked for me here as it allowed me to not be bogged down in the mire of an ongoing narative whilst exploring some stuff I knew I wouldn't get to for a while in my serial.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Hit 50k! Which promptly shattered my momentum for the day, but it's done! Now I just have to finish the story. No biggie.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

Vakal posted:

This was my first time trying it and I busted out pretty hard as well. I may have barely reached 20k if I really felt like gathering up every assorted scrap I wrote and tallying it up.

But still, it was a fun and I actually got something written down instead of just endlessly planning.

I'm glad you got those words down! Maybe next year will be better, if you choose to do it.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Jumping on the "gonna fail but happy I did it" bandwagon. It's been a long time since I've sat down and knocked out a ton of words. Just turned into an outrageously busy month and lots of lost weekends due to friends/family in town.

Happy with where my story is going though, and I've gotten into a routine of getting up early most mornings to write. I plan on continuing that into December and the new year :toot:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Guiness13 posted:

Hit 50k! Which promptly shattered my momentum for the day, but it's done! Now I just have to finish the story. No biggie.

Yup, same. Hit 50k and I gotta stop to reward myself with some downtime for a bit before I jump back in on this story.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'm at 43528. Working 12 hours today and tomorrow. But I will finish on time. It will just not be pleasant!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
42.5k so far, yikes. time to Close the Forums and Start Writing

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Usually I finish with a healthy margin of a few days to spare. Not this year! Squeaked by on the last day with 50,972. That makes ten wins in a row!

If you haven't already, make sure your time zone is listed properly in your account settings! You don't want to fail by minutes because you're still on Greenwich time or whatever.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Did it. Crawled by the eyelids all the way to the finish line. :negative:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I just validated my own win. Congrats to all the new and returning winners, and to anyone who didn't quite win but still are stitting on more words than they would be otherwise :thumbsup:

TaintedBalance posted:

On a different note, what does the post NaNoWriMo period look like? I assume its recommended to take a break and step away from it, then come back at it for a second draft? Do we have any good links on that I can read while fretting about my next chapter instead of just writing it?

Kind of a late reply, but the NaNo website usually puts up articles and guides for this sort of thing throughout December and January.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Completed my 50k just barely on time for a second consecutive year, then I drank champagne and had sex. That's my NaNoWriMo story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UjDLB671BvO3k1tsgCEjij77jzwQ5Iy-8k-LgzcHKK8/edit?usp=sharing

Charred 50k Nano project complete

Now to finish the first draft! If only this month wasn't a piece of poo poo

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Pikestaff posted:

Kind of a late reply, but the NaNo website usually puts up articles and guides for this sort of thing throughout December and January.

That makes total sense and I didn't even think to read any of their stuff because I was hyper focused. Giving myself permission to take last week off entirely after hitting 50k really helped and I think I actually know what my plot is and how to wrap the book up. Now I just hope I can pull that off with the rest of Dec.

Grats to everyone who made it!

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
I never finished due to Real Life getting in the way but I just want to say I'm so proud of all of you and I look forward to reading your works and doing more fun writing things in future!

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Babys V convulsed against the bed. The black woman's legs that had been sewn onto his waist were having severe intestinal problems, but he smiled through the pain. This meant they'd have to fulfill the contract and surgically reattach his bonier, paler bottom half.

His greatest comfort was the cold, clammy hand held in his. "Daijobu..." said Michiko, his Japanese ghost girlfriend. Babys V, who had come to be known as Babys Velvet, couldn't wait to show her what his original lower body could do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tyrone scratched at the bone through his septum, brooding thoughtfully in his lionskin-draped throne. His courtiers knew not to disturb their alabaster gangsta lord when he was in this mood.

"Tao-ism? Sheeeeit," he finally thundered. "Ain't nothin up again' mah hoodoo." He would make this Babys Velvet pay for giving his wife irritable bowel syndrome with his poor diet.

[Editor's note: KNOB-T is better known as Lizmy Deadman's rival but he appeared in the pre-prequel The Hidden Babys]

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To the nurses, it looked like Babys was performing a waltz all by himself. Was this the immortal Dào master's way of celebrating the successful surgery? Why was he leaving a wet trail on the floor? Had complications given him incontinence? Of course not, it was Michiko's dripping hair. "Ore wa," she said demurely, and the nurses wondered why he smiled.

Like most times Babys felt contentment, it was short lived. Soon, he was the eye of a storm of panic after explosions ripped through the hospice. As he strode toward his destiny, a weepy seamstress asked him about the brown stain on the back of his patient's gown. "My dear, that poo poo isn't from my rear end, I assure you," he said with a wink.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A baby was born in that same facility the day before it was overrun with glocktroopers. A baby everyone thought dead, hence the name she was given...

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Babys VI continued rolling the marbles between his fingers in his coat pocket. How long had he been at it, now? His reflection in the broken mirror had stubble. He couldn't keep depriving the world of its colors forever. Soon, they'd have to go back in their Velvet sack. But just a few more minutes...

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"NO I AIN'T," roared KNOB-T at Babys' claim that he had been defeated.

"You most certainly are, your majesty," Babys insisted, despite not having done anything whatsoever. Satisfied, he took a Long Step out of the buzzing, vibrating rubble to the cabin he had illegally built beside a Shinto shrine. But it was too late. Dawn was breaking, and he would have to suffer fourteen hours of unhaunted peace.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As always, Babys III was standing there. This time, his huge eyes were staring at Babys V's act of physicality with Michiko. Babys V wondered for a moment if the Persistent Babys felt envy, but remembered that his simple-mindedness made such a thing impossible. If anything... Babys V was the one feeling envy at such a carefree existence.

Babys VI leaned against the starlit railing, but only with one hand. The other was still in his jacket. He had a full beard now, and the balcony was ashen gray, as was the world below, as was Babys VI himself. Babys III was there too, of course, watching Babys VI watch past-Babys III watching Babys V watch Michiko-san in her throes of ecstasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

...and on that note I'll go ahead and close the thread, see you guys next year!