Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I'm doing something a little cheaty this year, in that I'm writing a series of short stories under a single theme and revolving around a single character. I'm calling it close enough.

I don't want to step on any toes or hijack the thread so if I'm out of line let me know, but there is a general writing discord and we have a temporary Nano channel. Come join us if you'd like to talk about your nano novel or writing in general! https://discord.gg/dyhBXBR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
Nano is very good for at least getting something out, yes. I had to quit last year because I hit a planning roadblock, but I still managed to get almost 30k of a decent draft done first. It's also good for doing exploratory writing that you can cut later.

Story planning wise, I realized that I had one too few short stories to meet the word count, so I came up with a backup/additional set of stories in case. Part of the hardest part for me has been resisting the urge to start writing.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
Already at 2k. It's a slow trickle but the story is finally starting to get my interest and with any luck it'll keep it.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
I've managed to stay on par so far, but I really feel like I'm falling behind and it's awful. I'm planning on going to a local write-in tonight, so we'll see how that goes. If I'm lucky, I'll manage to get a buffer back.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
Probably could have won yesterday if I'd forced it but today is just as good. 50k! Just gotta finish up the story now.

I'm really glad that I managed to do this. After last year being a bust, and really struggling a lot in the middle of this year, I was afraid that my first win was going to be a fluke. It's good to see that I can do it a little more reliably than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Vakal posted:

This was my first time trying it and I busted out pretty hard as well. I may have barely reached 20k if I really felt like gathering up every assorted scrap I wrote and tallying it up.

But still, it was a fun and I actually got something written down instead of just endlessly planning.

I'm glad you got those words down! Maybe next year will be better, if you choose to do it.