Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Terrence Crawford is currently my (and many others's) pick for #1 pound for pound boxer in the sport. He sits on top of the welterweight-ish zone, which in the current era is a very deep division full of great boxers.

Crawford is a very classically styled fighter / counter puncher who is known for being 100% effective in either lead (he will shift to whatever is worse for his opponent) and a characteristic viciousness. Like most boxers known for being vicious in the ring this is a sign of an innate intelligence and as good as he is physically it's his domineering, merciless and shrewd mind that has granted him his undefeated record across three weight divisions -- he's the Marvin Haggler of the mental game. There are no obvious flaws in how Crawford fights, he comes into the ring with a mindset that he's going to wear down, then embarrass, then KO his opponent. Crawford unified his previous weight class (meaning he won the belts in all four organizations there) which hasn't happened in boxing in 11 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN8XCAto7i0&t=11s

Benavidez has been a strong prospect for a while now. He's a sharp fighter from a family of fighters who has a notable size advantage over Crawford and a love of throwing hard hooks to the body in the middle of stern combinations that have gotten him a lot of very dominant victories in his undefeated career. This will be the his first great test and if he manages to do well against Crawford or even defeat him his stock in the sport is going to blow up overnight. Benavidez decided to take the route of provoking and insulting Crawford in the run up to this fight -- in the past we've seen other fighters take this approach with Crawford and Crawford has not responded kindly to it, in the run up to this fight Crawford threw a punch at Benavidez at a press conference I think last night. Benavidez has been really baiting the tiger in other words, and he knows it, so there's a great chance he'll enter the ring ready for a war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqGsCG2oXQ0
(Benavidez in gold)

Crawford is heavily favored in this match but this is only his second fight at 147 and while his victory against workaday Horn (who had robbed Pacquiao of a decision in one of the worst judging gently caress ups in recent boxing memory) at 147 previously was by KO it didn't come until the 9th round, plus Horn isn't as big or as focused on the body as Benavidez, so Benavidez does have a way to win at least.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The undercards feature a guy named Shakur who is a young, very hot prospect in the sport who is fun to watch fight, a female boxer with an Olympic medal, and some other folks I don't know much about.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lol imagine caring about watching two men beat each other up, what a philistine. you should maybe...read a book instead. you filthy uncultured prole. good day sir, consider yourself owned, im off to play some smash bros now

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'll box u op

Into a wooden one an throw u in the river

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
boxing sucks

but not as much as UFC

so...:confused:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fights are starting.

They will be airing the Shakur Stevenson fight and then Crawford v Benividez

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Stevenson has two knockdowns in first round vs sturdy foe

And a third leading to fight getting called at the end of the round, his foe was a vet who had never previously been stopped

Stevenson is young and there have been questions about his power despite his last four fights (and now this one) ending in kos, looks like his power is coming in finally

With the early ko we probably have to wait a while before the main event starts

raton fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 14, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

raton posted:

Stevenson has two knockdowns in first round vs sturdy foe

im knocking down beers OP

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

im knocking down beers OP

Turn on ESPN while you're at it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

free hubcaps posted:

lol imagine caring about watching two men beat each other up, what a philistine. you should maybe...read a book instead. you filthy uncultured prole. good day sir, consider yourself owned, im off to play some smash bros now

They told me I should play Kirby because I was a newb

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Probably 15m to the start of the main event now

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fight is going

Crawford usually builds advantages as the fight goes on but is not getting past Benividezs long jab easily in round 1

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
R1 Crawford
R2 Bena

Both are close rounds

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
R3 is me giving both of these DWEEBS motherfreakin' Super Swirlies!!!!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
R3 Crawford is scoring regularly with a right hook to the body, the punches aren't super hard but it looks bad for Benavidez to get hit the same way over and over

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you see Crawford start to toy or tease it means he thinks he's seen the end of the fight, usually this comes a few rounds in advance of a ko and well before the commentators notice it

Competitive fight so far but Crawford builds round on round more than anyone else active in boxing right now

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
KO at end of 12 by Crawford via a very creative uppercut that hadn't been used for the whole rest of the bout

Benavidez performed well and gave Crawford a hard time of it early on. His output dropped after the fifth and he started hunting for single counters -- that'll work against a midclass fighter but won't work vs a p4p guyb like Crawford, you'll just give up rounds.

The division Crawford is in now is full of monsters and there are some potentially galactic fights coming up

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I understand that boxing is rigged. C/d

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There are a lot of insanely bad scorecards turned in by previously reliable judges and promoters have way too much influence so the decisions often stink of a fix, however the actual fights themselves are in my experience always genuine and due to the nature of the sport is rare that someone wins off of a minor bit of luck like what happens regularly in MMA. So if you watch the fights and ignore the judging its honest and good.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I bet my income on fights as a way to supplement my retirement. Good/bad?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They should make boxing matches with people that don't have direct ties to the fighters trying to pick a guy to fight they can beat and earn the most money.

Instead have 3rd parties matching up boxers that will actually make a decent fight.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

I bet my income on fights as a way to supplement my retirement. Good/bad?

You'll never beat the vig and in boxing there isn't even enough variance for you to think you can!!!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They should make boxing matches with people that don't have direct ties to the fighters trying to pick a guy to fight they can beat and earn the most money.

Instead have 3rd parties matching up boxers that will actually make a decent fight.

There's a lot of fight ducking in the modern era and it hurts the sport

Part of the blame is on the fans though. If you go from undefeated to having one loss your paydays get cut almost in half. Too much risk to take a fight because the US boxing market is dumb as gently caress, largely concerned with the terrible heavyweight division, fat, can't root for anyone that isn't white, etc

Go watch a big boxing match at a Mexican family's house, it's like you're in another world how much they understand and care about the fight.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What is the largest betting market in the world for boxing? USA vs the entire world?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

What is the largest betting market in the world for boxing? USA vs the entire world?

That's a good question I don't know for sure

I would guess USA still but in part that's going to be foreigners placing their bets through Vegas even though there's a lot of options these days

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Who is the richest boxer in history in terms of cash?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Easy one. Who was the first non white boxer to win a title belt?

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 14, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Feel free to join in goons. We’re gonna learn a lot about boxing in gbs from raton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
these two guys loving hate each other so i look forward to having what happens spoiled before i get a chance to watch

• Locked thread