Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

What is Wandersong?

Wandersong is a game that was released on September 27, 2018 for PC and Nintendo Switch. It did get a kickstarter in February of 2016 that was able to raise about $22,000. Since then, it's been in development by three people: Greg Lobanov, the main developer and creator, Em Halberstadt, the sound designer, and Gordon McGladdery (A Shell in the Pit) who was the main composer along with Lobanov. Together, they made a game who's soundtrack consists of over 140 songs, and soundfiles that make up nearly 5 gigs when uncompressed.

The game itself, is about a Bard who goes on an adventure to save the world through music. It functions mostly as a side scroller with mild puzzles and platforming. The gameplay is never intense, and is more a vehicle to explore the rest of the game. The game can play similiar to Night in the Woods, but also definitely has some Earthbound and Undertale inspiration.

Where can I get this game?

As it just came out, this game should be easy to find. But specifically, you can get it on Steam, The Switch, The Humble Store, or GOG.

Cool! So what about this LP? What's the format going to be?

I really agonized over what the best way to present this game is. There's a lot of neat little animations, audio cues, and music that can be difficult to show off through screenshots. However, this is also a text heavy game that really wouldn't go well with video. On top of which, I didn't feel like my commentary through video (audio or subtitle) would provide much to the game compared to screenshot.

Screenshots, however, will NOT get across how great some sections of this game are. There are some things that just need to be seen in motion, rather than through images. As such, it's going to be about as hybrid an LP as I can make it. Screenshots will be for most of the game, but some sections will be placed in video. If I feel a video section translates decently to images, I'll try and provide both.

Why this game?

Because it's a very positive game! As I mentioned before, it can play similar to Night in the Woods, in that you're running around talking to people for most of the game. But where that game can be incredibly real and depressing, this game prefers to try and stay positive and uplifting about as much as it can! That doesn't mean it doesn't know proper pacing or how to tell a story, but just that I feel the game has a positive message. And I want to help spread that. Also the music is utterly fantastic and well worth it on that alone.

Spoiler policy?

Not a single spoiler in this thread. No black bars for spoilers, no tee hee can't wait till x happens. Nothing! This indie game came out about three weeks ago as of this post, and I'd like for people to either check it out themselves, or follow along and see what makes it good!

Update Schedule?

My last LP, I said I was going to try and do a sensible schedule and ended up updating every day. I'd like to not do that again, so I'll try for Monday, Wednesday, Friday and see if that works out. poo poo can change at my whim and at any circumstance though.

With that all said, let's begin...

Update 1 - The Test
Update 2 - The Ghosts
Update 3 - The Dream World
Update 4 - The Good People of Langtree

Update 5 - The Town of Delphi
Update 6 - The Show at the Crazy Raven
Update 7 - The Revitalization of Delphi by the Singer-Bard
Update 8 - The Land of Wind

Update 9 - The Lady Arabica
Update 10 - The Hero's Journey
Update 11 - The Mermaids
Update 12 - The Way It's Supposed to Be

Update 13 - The Interruption

Update 14 - The City of Chismest
Bonus Update
Update 15 - The Astronomers
Update 16 - The Baron
Update 17 - The Order in the Chaos

Update 18 - The Land With Two Kingdoms
Update 19 - The City of Xiatian
Update 20 - The Potion of Power
Update 21 - The Spell Squad
Update 22 - The Journey to Mohabumi
Update 23 - The Grand City of Mohabumi
Update 24 - The Crater
Update 25 - The Last Request
Update 26 - The Solarscape
Update 27 - The Collapse

Update 28 - The Beast On The Mountain
Update 29 - The Bugs
Update 29.5 - The Seals
Update 30 - The Hero
Update 31 - The King of Hearts

Update 32 - The Farewells
Update 33 - The Reunion
Update 34 - The End
Update 35 - The Wandersong
Update 36 - The Friends We Made Along the Way
Update 37 - The Light in the Darkness

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Reserved

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 1 - The Test

MUSIC: Falling Stars

Welcome to Wandersong! A game I discovered thanks to a friend's recommendation, and gift. I felt like I had a special enough of a time to want to share it with others. Which leads to this LP!

MUSIC: The Sword

So starting off, we're this Bard! He even looks like ye olde medieval bard a bit huh? We seem to be having a dream at this moment, as we went from the main menu straight to here!

Moving is pretty basic on PC. WASD to move, space to jump. I don't know for sure what the controls are like on the switch, but I assume "standard controls" would be a safe bet.

We continue moving upwards and over these ledges. We still aren't sure what we're looking for, but we hope to find it soon!

Oooh, that's probably it!

Alright! Our first weapon!

As the on screen prompt shows, you wield the sword with with the left mouse button. You want to use this to tear down any monster that gets in your way!

After pressing the left mouse button, we can choose the direction we want to wield the sword in. It's somewhat clumsy, but becomes good fun as you have to stab bats in the mid-air while still watching out for goblins on the ground.

Our... hero... is having trouble wielding the sword right now. That's ok! That's just because we haven't grinded enough resources to create a strength potion and increase our muscle density.

Regardless, our hero marches forward to fight the foul beasts of the land!

Wow! This is... uh a big one! Ok Bard, show em what you got! You can do this!

...Uh oh...

Without our sword we can't fight back!! The only thing we can do is sing at her! We are a bard after all...

It seems to be working?

MUSIC: Mysterious Rainbow Girl

You are SO CUTE!!! I'm sorry for scarin you. This was supposed to test if you were a hero... which you're not.

So yeah, we aren't actually the hero who's going to go off and fight some adventure across time, or worlds. We're just a bard who likes singing!

Just a bard! Who are you?

Messenger of the goddess Eya. Forever ago, her song of creation set your universe into motion. And she's gonna sing her song again pretty soon. Which, um... is gonna replace this universe with a new one.

Uh, end of the universe you say?

But don't freak out about it too much, your universe is pretty old. She likes to start over fresh after a while, y'know?

She's acting as if she's getting a new car, or a new appliance! This is the whole universe you're talking about!

This sucks actually. I really like you

And so ends the prologue... with us being told the whole universe is about to stop being a thing! Welp, I hope that hero comes along and solves this for us!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Given that A Shell in the Pit is responsible for some of Rogue Legacy's soundtrack, and judging by the intro, this looks like it's going to be quite the experience. :allears:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Um!? What?? That's baloney! I can't believe the world is ending already! I just got here :T I hope a hero shows up soon! I'm looking forward to whoever or whatever shows up next!

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Already looks adorable. I'm definitely in.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 2 - The Ghosts

Long one after the short update on Sunday. Let me know if the video links are too disguised, as some content is gated behind the videos since they do not translate to screenshots well.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 17, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 3 - The Dream World

We go off to meet this so called Overseer. What will it be like?

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Okay, that was a pretty great boss fight.

I really like the little touches in the typography -- wavy text, shaky text, different speeds, etc. It's a good way to convey intonation without doing full voice acting.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 4 - The Good People of Langtree

We say goodbye to Langtree, and head off to adventure.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
This game has so much charm! Thanks for the updates. :3:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Seeing this game here compelled me to buy it and it's really good! It's like Rakuen and Night in the Woods mashed together.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I feel like I'd be annoyed at playing this game. It looks like the same control scheme as fighting in Sid Meier's Pirates!.

On the other hand, kitties. :3:

(also, you typoed: "but it almost feels like a money paw wish.")

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I like Masky and I trust their Party Pants. They have good thoughts about ghosts. Most people run screaming from ghosts and immediately hate them. Not Masky. Masky gives everyone a chance.

This world is so cute and peaceful!!! Why does it have to die!!! Please light the bonfire or whatever so the world continues in light and life.

Also that is the best boss fight. Everyone else can go home. Holy banana hannah!!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

(also, you typoed: "but it almost feels like a money paw wish.")

Fixed! Feel free to let me know if anyone spots a typo or incorrect link! The quicker the better, since I'm putting the updates in the test poster, which makes editing difficult.

Rosemont posted:

This game has so much charm! Thanks for the updates. :3:

Thanks for following along!

Really Pants posted:

Seeing this game here compelled me to buy it and it's really good! It's like Rakuen and Night in the Woods mashed together.

It always feels good to be able to get the word out on these little indie gems that slip past the radar. Especially with the abhorrent state of steam these days.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 5 - The Town of Delphi

The adventure of Bard and Miriam begins!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

quote:

Yes. I mean... yar.

I don't think he's really a pirate

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nice.

:C I wish they let you call yourself 'Clown'. I love the troll fight! It's very fairy tale like in that he just kinda surrenders once you fulfill some obscure obligation. 'Oh, you sang your way to me? Ok I guess the fight is done now?' I hope everything turns out alright for him!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

value-brand cereal posted:

I love the troll fight! It's very fairy tale like in that he just kinda surrenders once you fulfill some obscure obligation. 'Oh, you sang your way to me? Ok I guess the fight is done now?' I hope everything turns out alright for him!

I smell a side quest (or possibly part of the story).

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 6 - The Show at the Crazy Raven

We get a band going!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Of course, getting a band together is exactly what we needed to do to unlock the Overseer's song. Going to have a very interesting conversation with a witch after this.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Loving this LP! I was playing through the game myself, but this covers a lot of things I missed completely, like buying thousands of beans. Can't wait for more!

(Side note, I think Ash is non-binary; they're always referred to by gender-neutral pronouns, and their mom calls them "my kid".)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MonstrousMouse posted:

Loving this LP! I was playing through the game myself, but this covers a lot of things I missed completely, like buying thousands of beans. Can't wait for more!

(Side note, I think Ash is non-binary; they're always referred to by gender-neutral pronouns, and their mom calls them "my kid".)

I knew that Ash was supposed to be non-binary, but I could have sworn I saw someone in-game refer to them as he. I went back and... I guess I made that up? Either way, I went back over and changed the pronouns to be gender neutral. There shouldn't be any other gendered pronouns for Ash, but if I missed any let me know.

Also, there may be a part in the future that requires us to create our own... songs. As I am very bad at this and created some hot garbage my first go through, I'm taking any suggestions you guys have. The notes just have to be on the color wheel, so here's a video to demonstrate that if you're unfamiliar with what it sounds like. I'll take any submission, as no submissions means... I'm coming up with them *cue gasps of horror*

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

really queer Christmas posted:

Uh, well, there's these four kids who decide to play a game. But the game brings about the end of the universe, and they have to go on a sort of planetary quest to collect materials and make a new universe. And there's aliens and time travel involved... it's a lot to get into.

Let me tell you about... :goonsay:

:allears:

Also, you missed a pronoun:

While our justification for reuniting Ash with his mom may not have been virtuous

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 24, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I love that the Bard's standard of less-than-virtuous is "Uses his talents to grant a person one last moment with their dearly departed mother, but might only be doing it for the universe's sake rather than their own."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 24, 2018

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Really Pants posted:

I love that the Bard's standard of less-than-virtuous is "Uses his talents to grant a person one last moment with their dearly departed mother, but might only be doing it for the universe's sake rather than their own."

I mean, Bard is a virtuoso, after all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

I knew that Ash was supposed to be non-binary, but I could have sworn I saw someone in-game refer to them as he. I went back and... I guess I made that up? Either way, I went back over and changed the pronouns to be gender neutral. There shouldn't be any other gendered pronouns for Ash, but if I missed any let me know.

Also, there may be a part in the future that requires us to create our own... songs. As I am very bad at this and created some hot garbage my first go through, I'm taking any suggestions you guys have. The notes just have to be on the color wheel, so here's a video to demonstrate that if you're unfamiliar with what it sounds like. I'll take any submission, as no submissions means... I'm coming up with them *cue gasps of horror*

Huh. Is that Aeolian mode? Odd for a dancin' man to break a whole-tone scale on the natural minor.

Anyhow, assuming my ear hasn't gone tin, if you want something classic you can do Sweet Molly Malone pretty easy.

NE - SW SW SW - SW SE SW - S S S - S E S - NE SE SW - NE SE SW - NW S SW - W (hold)

NE - SW SW SW - SW SE SW - S S S - S E S - NE SE SW - NE SE SW - S SW S - SW (hold)

Anybody else out there who wants to try something, it looks like the Bard's scale is in B minor.

...oh, hah, that's great.

SW W SW NE - W W SW NW - SW W SW NE - W W SW SW - SW W SW NE - E SE E SE SW - W SW SE S

Glazius fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 25, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 7 - The Revitalization of Delphi by the Singer-Bard

Delphi has changed... for the better!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Count me as one of the people who got this game thanks to the LP! I had a blast with it, even if the singing was a little finicky on the Switch.

Also, I can't remember if OP mentioned it, but whenever you talk to Manny he has voiceclips like "Eyyyy" and "Badabing".

I don't know why that (and the bard snoring) amused me so much, but they did.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 8 - The Land of Wind

We head back to the spirit world, and then... head out on a new adventure.

Glazius posted:

Huh. Is that Aeolian mode? Odd for a dancin' man to break a whole-tone scale on the natural minor.

Anyhow, assuming my ear hasn't gone tin, if you want something classic you can do Sweet Molly Malone pretty easy.

NE - SW SW SW - SW SE SW - S S S - S E S - NE SE SW - NE SE SW - NW S SW - W (hold)

NE - SW SW SW - SW SE SW - S S S - S E S - NE SE SW - NE SE SW - S SW S - SW (hold)

Anybody else out there who wants to try something, it looks like the Bard's scale is in B minor.

...oh, hah, that's great.

SW W SW NE - W W SW NW - SW W SW NE - W W SW SW - SW W SW NE - E SE E SE SW - W SW SE S

Thank you for this, by the way! I used your suggestion, but it won't show up in the LP for quite some time. I wanted to let you know, so you didn't think I was just ignoring you.

TracerK posted:

Count me as one of the people who got this game thanks to the LP! I had a blast with it, even if the singing was a little finicky on the Switch.

Also, I can't remember if OP mentioned it, but whenever you talk to Manny he has voiceclips like "Eyyyy" and "Badabing".

I don't know why that (and the bard snoring) amused me so much, but they did.

Just about everybody in the game has voiceclips or audio cues when they talk, as well as their own fonts in comparison to others. It's really cool, but hard to show off except through video. I've been having to manually rip SFX through the game, which has led to... mixed results. Which has been why I've included dialogue in video clips at times.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's the second overseer who's been acting kinda weird. I imagine everyone's feeling a little out of sorts since the world is going to end.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Not to try to invalidate anyone's reading of the game, but to me, Bard wasn't trying to find Ash's mother to have her speak with them out of selfish desire to have them play with him or because of the universe (he didn't even know they knew the Overseer's Song at the time), but just because he wanted to help them get out of their funk. Although he did show his more savvy and pushy side in the wind land, the Ash encounter read to me as just seeing someone in pain and not being able to let that go without trying to alleviate it.

Sticky Fingers
Jul 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought this game entirely because of this LP - I actually had never even heard about it before. I am now a bit ahead of the LP, currently working on the 3rd Act. I love this game, so thanks for turning me on to it and doing an excellent job with the LP! The work you are putting into it really shows.

You also have shown me some nice little scenes that I missed, for example singing the love song to Frederick to unite the two lovers.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

By the way, I apologize in advance if it's been mentioned in an earlier update, but I just discovered you can change Bard's singing by holding the ZL/ZR button (or I assume the E, R, X, or C keys for PC). More notes to play around with!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 9 - The Lady Arabica

Grab a cup of coffee and let's sail the seas!

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Not to try to invalidate anyone's reading of the game, but to me, Bard wasn't trying to find Ash's mother to have her speak with them out of selfish desire to have them play with him or because of the universe (he didn't even know they knew the Overseer's Song at the time), but just because he wanted to help them get out of their funk. Although he did show his more savvy and pushy side in the wind land, the Ash encounter read to me as just seeing someone in pain and not being able to let that go without trying to alleviate it.

I was mostly joking when I said that. Bard is a ball of pure happiness. I'd never expect him to have malicious intent at any point. He can be more savvy than he comes off, but he believes in people... to a definite fault.

Sticky Fingers posted:

I bought this game entirely because of this LP - I actually had never even heard about it before. I am now a bit ahead of the LP, currently working on the 3rd Act. I love this game, so thanks for turning me on to it and doing an excellent job with the LP! The work you are putting into it really shows.

You also have shown me some nice little scenes that I missed, for example singing the love song to Frederick to unite the two lovers.

:3:

Thank you! I just really wanted to show this game off to people and act as some marketing for it, since it's really good and deserves a spot in the light. I've tried to show off everything about the game that I can, to the point that there are things coming up that I missed my first time through.

TracerK posted:

By the way, I apologize in advance if it's been mentioned in an earlier update, but I just discovered you can change Bard's singing by holding the ZL/ZR button (or I assume the E, R, X, or C keys for PC). More notes to play around with!

I'd gotten PM'd about this and... forgot to mention it in the thread :v:

I actually found out about this while recording the Performance at the crazy raven. When I was having bard duck, I noticed his singing was deeper. You can do some fantastic things with it, like so:

https://twitter.com/akfamilyhomeak/status/1053898854028853248

https://twitter.com/oceazul/status/1053543186243547136

Don't uh, go out and search for similar things on your own unless you're prepared for massive spoilers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSc5z_M2JlI

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

I actually found out about this while recording the Performance at the crazy raven. When I was having bard duck, I noticed his singing was deeper. You can do some fantastic things with it, like so:

Oh, cool, looks like a clean octave jump! Pop a squat on the first note of each line of Sweet Molly Malone, then, I was just shifting it to fit into what I thought was the only place it could.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 10 - The Hero's Journey

As the true Hero, we go on an adventure, only a Hero can go on.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I grabbed this game because of this LP and ended up playing the entire thing in one playthrough. This game is great and I love it, but I weirdly feel like it's closer to Super Paper Mario, of all things, rather than Undertale or Night in the Woods, though I'm unsure of where I'm getting that feeling from. Either way, I'm gonna keep watching this LP since you're often seeing stuff I managed to miss in here and I like your commentary.