Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

They are convinced that Brohm will be announced as HC by tomorrow.....I poo poo you not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I saw Stewart Mandel opining that KU should go triple option. His reasons were something to do with never catching up in recruiting and that everyone already runs an up tempo spread in the Big 12, but whatever his reasons are I'm sold on the idea since I want more flexbone in the world.

My only fear is it might actually work better than I want it to.

I think it's probably something for schools in that position to at least consider. There is value to be had in doing something different and trying to recruit from a different pool of players than the rest of the conference is fighting for.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I mean I'm on board with the notion that a team unable to compete on talent would do well to resort to gimmicks, or at least try to do something different so they can bring something that their opponents haven't been preparing for at every practice for years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Triple option at KU isn't a bad idea. Go get some big Midwestern and Texas kids and run people over. KU will never beat the rest of the Big 12 playing their game.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

wernox posted:

They are convinced that Brohm will be announced as HC by tomorrow.....I poo poo you not.

If they fire Petrino, I don't think Brohm will be coaching in the Motor City Bowl for Purdue.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, Kansas is the type of school that to do anything other than maybe make a low tier bowl every 3 or 4 years needs to innovate. Mangino lucked into a QB being better than he should have been and iirc a system that wasn't unique or special, and was relatively balanced between pass and run. Don't get me wrong, I think Mangino made the most of the talent he got, in college that will only take you so far at a place like Kansas. In order to be a perennial bowl contender, you need to go triple option and hope for a down year in the Big 12 to make a top tier bowl.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

UNC is gonna can Fedora and that's where Littrell ends up

late but they aren't. it would cost them something like 25m to can him and they don't have that for football

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 9, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

late but they aren't. it would cost them something like 25m to can him and they don't have that for football

Did they get hit harder by the fake classes sanctions than I remember or something? I'm not saying Fedora is a good coach by any means, but man UNC is surprisingly terrible to my mind. I figured they'd bottom out at 4 wins instead of 1 or 2.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Did they get hit harder by the fake classes sanctions than I remember or something? I'm not saying Fedora is a good coach by any means, but man UNC is surprisingly terrible to my mind. I figured they'd bottom out at 4 wins instead of 1 or 2.

They got a bunch of guys suspened at the start of the year for selling memorabilia and have had insanely bad QB injury luck

I think just about any P5 team can find the money to fire someone if they really want to but I could see giving Fedora a pass for this year

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

They got a bunch of guys suspened at the start of the year for selling memorabilia and have had insanely bad QB injury luck

I think just about any P5 team can find the money to fire someone if they really want to but I could see giving Fedora a pass for this year

It's a lot of money to come up with to fire Fedora and I don't think they will or really can given some of the stuff going on at the top at UNC.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Flexbone triple option is kind of passe at this point though. What are some other old offenses they could pull out of the dustbin of history? The wing T? The single wing? The Notre Dame box? The west coast offense?

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
Sadly since the PAC-12 is such a shitshow, I'm assuming Clay Helton is coming back to USC for next year. Ugh.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. BT posted:

Sadly since the PAC-12 is such a shitshow, I'm assuming Clay Helton is coming back to USC for next year. Ugh.

It seems like when the conference is a poo poo show is exactly when you should make the change

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

UNC was also really bad last year also

There's prob also a guy or two somewhere in admin that thinks Fedora is the second dumbest man on Earth after his media day comments

Fedora's biggets problem was that he hired a very bad DC after Chizik hosed off to run a Chick-Fil-A and its all been downhill sicne

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Chizik is running a Chik-Fil-a?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tony Levine was the guy who quit to run a Chick-fil-a, I think Chizik is just retired outside of the occasional TV gig (which he's pretty good at!)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Tony Levine was the guy who quit to run a Chick-fil-a, I think Chizik is just retired outside of the occasional TV gig (which he's pretty good at!)

yeah. chiz got fired because their defense was terrible.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

it got better under him; i thought he retired to be with his family

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

it got better under him; i thought he retired to be with his family

trump world has distorted my sense of reality

but i felt like it got better, then got way bad

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

trump world has distorted my sense of reality

but i felt like it got better, then got way bad

wiki says 120th before he got there then 96, 63rd, then he retired and larry resumed not giving two shits about defense in between getting sanctioned

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No he improved it a ton and then quit out of nowhere. It got really bad again after he left. He's a good coordinator

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Is the Tulane guy officially bad, because I still feel like Kansas has a shot at him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think he's bad but he hasn't done anything at Tulane yet. I think he'd definitely take the KU job but he feels a lot closer to getting fired by Tulane than he does to getting a P5 job to me

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

I read an Athletic article tbat said Chizik was running some sort of fast food joint somewhere

Maybe it was a Zaxby's. I dunno

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://mobile.twitter.com/drew_deener/status/1061102597090746370?s=21

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

No he improved it a ton and then quit out of nowhere. It got really bad again after he left. He's a good coordinator

okay, trump world has distorted all sense of truth and reality for me so that checks out.

i feel ike we also haven't talked enough about USC, does anyone think Clay Helton's days are numbered

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Based on several games I've watched, I don't believe Petrino survives the weekend

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
We hardly knew ye, Jeff Brohm, godspeed.

also wtf happened to Petrino, despite being a giant piece a poo poo, he was a great coach for the last 15 years?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

an adult beverage posted:

also wtf happened to Petrino, despite being a giant piece a poo poo, he was a great coach for the last 15 years?

Tired of recruiting maybe?

Did he lose a lot of assistants or something along the way? I mean...he's not exactly the most stand up guy in the world and absolutely everyone knows it by now so maybe it's hard for him to replace guys.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

an adult beverage posted:

We hardly knew ye, Jeff Brohm, godspeed.

Petrino is a great scheme guy, but he's a terrible program builder. Like this sort of fall apart happens everywhere he's ever been, but he always bounces before it happens.

In particular he doesn't develop players, doesn't recruit depth, doesn't hire good assistants

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He doesnt have Lamar to bail him out anymore

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Metapod posted:

He doesnt have Lamar to bail him out anymore

it wasn't even that and if you think that's the case i don't think you watch much football

petrino is one of the best play callers going, like period

he just doesn't give a poo poo about recruiting or building players

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Tired of recruiting maybe?

Did he lose a lot of assistants or something along the way? I mean...he's not exactly the most stand up guy in the world and absolutely everyone knows it by now so maybe it's hard for him to replace guys.

Apparently when Grantham bailed for Miss St absolutely no one wanted that DC job, which is how they wound up just hiring the lovely guy Miss St. had fired, and how they have VanGorder now

Like Andichu said he's not really a guy who builds for sustained success, there's a reason his teams are always a smoking crater as soon as he leaves. He just happens to have been caught in it this time because no one else wants to hire him anymore

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i feel ike we also haven't talked enough about USC, does anyone think Clay Helton's days are numbered

USC is by far the weirdest and most insular program of that caliber, they are like impossible to predict. I'd fire him but I also wouldn't have hired him either. Fans seem pretty fed up with him though, and he understandably didn't have a very long lease with them to begin with.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 10, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--that makes some sense

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I was wondering about the recruiting thing when I brought up him possibly losing assistants. I figure that's something he's always needed a guy doing for him more than most since he's such a....well. He's him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

it wasn't even that and if you think that's the case i don't think you watch much football

petrino is one of the best play callers going, like period

Louisville was bad last year but was able to win because Lamar was able to bail out their lovely defense and oline

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

USC is by far the weirdest and most insular program of that caliber, they are like impossible to predict. I'd fire him but I also wouldn't have hired him either. Fans seem pretty fed up with him though, and he understandably didn't have a very long lease with them to begin with.

It feels like he is a great guy that the players like and who is good at all the other things, but also you're USC you should be walking away with the Pac-12 South. And man they can do so much better.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It feels like he is a great guy that the players like and who is good at all the other things, but also you're USC you should be walking away with the Pac-12 South. And man they can do so much better.

Yeah, that's basically the problem. Everyone loves Clay Helton, the dude. It's just that he isn't a great coach and has made some bad decisions with his offensive assistants.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Petrino is a great scheme guy, but he's a terrible program builder. Like this sort of fall apart happens everywhere he's ever been, but he always bounces before it happens.

In particular he doesn't develop players, doesn't recruit depth, doesn't hire good assistants

I didn't realize until looking it up now that he's never had a HC stop longer than 4 years until this current Louisville stint. Guess he's just good at coaching players that already know how to play football, even if they learned football from John L. Smith or Houston Nutt.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

General Dog posted:

I didn't realize until looking it up now that he's never had a HC stop longer than 4 years until this current Louisville stint. Guess he's just good at coaching players that already know how to play football, even if they learned football from John L. Smith or Houston Nutt.

Smith was actually good at Louisville! And Nutt was good for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Smith was actually good at Louisville! And Nutt was good for a long time.

Yeah I know, it's just funny looking back now.