Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Looks like it's being ordered a ton and will be their top selling comic this year so maybe it is working out for them?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dynamite-sell-over-100000-copies-of-disneys-gargoyles-1-so-far/

Also they somehow got CGC to agree to allow SS yellow slabs on their 1:250 without a witness. You buy the book that already has a sig and comes with a COA with some kind of security code or something and if you send it in CGC will give it a yellow slab instead of green. I've only ever seen this done once before but I forget the book.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/gargoyles-1-debuts-with-1250-retailer-incentive-variant-signed-greg-weisman/?amp

Honestly though I would like to see CGC do this more, if done right it would be really hard to abuse so I don't think counterfeit sigs would really be a big problem. I've bought some signed raw comics from creator owned storefronts before for really good prices and I hate I can't get a yellow label if I want to get graded.

Say a creator signs 300 issues available on their site. Each comes with a COA with a unique code and the creator shares the codes with CGC. As long as they generate codes in a random way the only way a counterfeiter could get a code was if somebody posted their COA code online and they found it and even then they'd only get one issue out of it. Wouldn't really be worth their time on any kind of scale and if the actual owner sent theirs in CGC would see they got two of the same codes and take action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Boy that's a lot of traced 3D models, medium talent character art, and PS brush abuse. Oof.

D-Pad posted:

Also they somehow got CGC to agree to allow SS yellow slabs on their 1:250 without a witness. You buy the book that already has a sig and comes with a COA with some kind of security code or something and if you send it in CGC will give it a yellow slab instead of green. I've only ever seen this done once before but I forget the book.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/gargoyles-1-debuts-with-1250-retailer-incentive-variant-signed-greg-weisman/?amp

Honestly though I would like to see CGC do this more, if done right it would be really hard to abuse so I don't think counterfeit sigs would really be a big problem. I've bought some signed raw comics from creator owned storefronts before for really good prices and I hate I can't get a yellow label if I want to get graded.

Say a creator signs 300 issues available on their site. Each comes with a COA with a unique code and the creator shares the codes with CGC. As long as they generate codes in a random way the only way a counterfeiter could get a code was if somebody posted their COA code online and they found it and even then they'd only get one issue out of it. Wouldn't really be worth their time on any kind of scale and if the actual owner sent theirs in CGC would see they got two of the same codes and take action.

how many foil variants do you own

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Incredibly scummy of Golden Bell, more in the thread/link

https://twitter.com/dorrismccomics/status/1590035578724052992?s=46&t=xbxPAXni4SG6SkmudIQsxw

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Barry Convex posted:

Incredibly scummy of Golden Bell

For folks not familiar with Golden Bell, this is a tautology. They were banned from Kickstarter but still prey on small projects that don't know better, swooping in to "help with fulfilment" and getting their claws in.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 9, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, no!

I am far from the first person to say that...

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Oh god, Golden Bell. Yeah, I've heard whispers about them for years. I remember meeting the guy at a convention in Baltimore several years ago; he came off as shifty. I think I still have the free sample of a comic strip broadsheet he tried to peddle.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 9, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bruceski posted:

For folks not familiar with Golden Bell, this is a tautology. They were banned from Kickstarter but still prey on small projects that don't know better, swooping in to "help with fulfilment" and getting their claws in.

Yep. They're quite notorious in the boardgame scene for their vulture capitalist endeavours.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's interesting to see this here because we've been talking about them in the TG forum industry thread as well.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Really amazing to see that Robotoad and Cash Grab are years late with still no release date for either and chuds are still funneling money into both of them. Libz are so owned.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

Really amazing to see that Robotoad and Cash Grab are years late with still no release date for either and chuds are still funneling money into both of them. Libz are so owned.

I feel like that's slacked off some. Some are genuinely upset they aren't getting their product and others have stopped caring. That said I'm sure EVS and company will have enough waterski dealership owners who used to read comics and are very mad about women having a milkshake to keep them afloat for a while.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, sorry to intrude with a seemingly vague question but are the names Bryan Petty or Tyler Kirkham involved with any of the comicsgate poo poo or known assholes, particularly Bryan? I believe the comic is called Tandra.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

iwentdoodie posted:

So, sorry to intrude with a seemingly vague question but are the names Bryan Petty or Tyler Kirkham involved with any of the comicsgate poo poo or known assholes, particularly Bryan? I believe the comic is called Tandra.

Can't find anything on Bryan Petty really at all. Kirkham's more of a known quantity and the only thing I dimly recall is rumblings that EVS helped him with his Final Boss IndieGoGo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kirkham drew a cover of Miles kissing Gwen which I think would make most comicsgaters heads explode so I'm not sure about him

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Kirkham drew a cover of Miles kissing Gwen which I think would make most comicsgaters heads explode so I'm not sure about him

Yeah. The EVS thing was the only thing I could find. I haven't seen anything else that stands out on his Twitter or anything, so at least he's good at hiding it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Dawgstar posted:

Can't find anything on Bryan Petty really at all. Kirkham's more of a known quantity and the only thing I dimly recall is rumblings that EVS helped him with his Final Boss IndieGoGo.

Codependent Poster posted:

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. The EVS thing was the only thing I could find. I haven't seen anything else that stands out on his Twitter or anything, so at least he's good at hiding it.

Thanks guys.

Can't elaborate much as the person involved is still actively working for one of them and the other is involved in the project, but basically involves encouraging one of the artists they hired to commit suicide complete with multiple suggestions on how to do so.

Fun!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well that's a yikes.

Why are people so horrible?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I wish I knew.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Chris Wozniak just posted this on Facebook. Don't know the whole story, but certainly fits my impression of WB.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...mibextid=Nif5oz

E: don't know anything about Chris other than some vague memories of him drawing a few Justice League issues back in the day. Anyone know more details?

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 10, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm pretty sure we talked about this a few weeks back and there's basically zero resemblance between his story and the batman beyond some extremely circumstantial stuff and it kind of makes him look like a crank

Like I am highly suspicious of just about everything in that post because none of it makes any sense

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Thanks, the post was shared by someone I generally trust, but it did seem odd that someone without much of a footprint as a writer would be involved.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean, if DC is suing him to get the rights to it that does give him some credibility

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i mean, considering how DC behaved over the CW Killer Frost bullshit i don't doubt it for a second

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Rhyno posted:

i mean, considering how DC behaved over the CW Killer Frost bullshit i don't doubt it for a second

what

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cliff notes: to get your royalties DC/WB requires you to file the paperwork and bullshit. they don't inform you they are using anything you create in the hopes you never find out.

Gerry Conway filed for his royalties over the use of Killer Frost on Flash. he was informed he didn't created that version of the character as she was derivative of his creation and thus owed nothing. So Gerry contacted the creator of KF 2 (Matthew Struges i believe) and informed him he was owed for his creation. So Sturges went through the hoops and was told that his character was derivative of Killer Frost and thus he was owed nothing.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Rhyno posted:

cliff notes: to get your royalties DC/WB requires you to file the paperwork and bullshit. they don't inform you they are using anything you create in the hopes you never find out.

Gerry Conway filed for his royalties over the use of Killer Frost on Flash. he was informed he didn't created that version of the character as she was derivative of his creation and thus owed nothing. So Gerry contacted the creator of KF 2 (Matthew Struges i believe) and informed him he was owed for his creation. So Sturges went through the hoops and was told that his character was derivative of Killer Frost and thus he was owed nothing.

capitalism was a mistake

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Opopanax posted:

I mean, if DC is suing him to get the rights to it that does give him some credibility

Assuming that is actually what's happening because what he's described doesn't make any kind of legal sense and no outlets have reported on any kind of lawsuit filing, which is the kind of goss they're always trying to dig up.

Like, again, I would not be so suspicious except we already talked about how weird and spurrious this whole thing is when his original attempt to sue DC contains bits like

quote:

45. Defendant copied Plaintiff's portrayal of Gotham City's government and police as totally corrupt, unreliable, and a dangerous threat to Batman and Commissioner Gordon. Plaintiff's portrayal of Gotham City's government and police force as totally corrupt, unreliable, and a dangerous threat to Batman and Commissioner Gordon is an original expression of the idea of threats to Batman and Commissioner Gordon.
46. Another example of copying in Defendant's Movie is in the scene where John Turturro is being led out in cuffs by Commissioner Gordon and Turturro says that nothing will happen to him because all the cops in Gotham work for him, but Commissioner Gordon swings the doors open and there is a small faction of police officers waiting outside that are still loyal to him. This scene is copied from an original expression of the Copyrighted Work. In the Copyrighted Work, all the police are also corrupt, but in a scene where Batman is being overwhelmed, Barbara Gordon dispatches a small faction of police officers still loyal to Commissioner Gordon to help Batman.

or

quote:

51. Defendant copied Plaintiff's expression of the idea of Batman as more of a human detective and less of a superhero with uncanny physical prowess and working in tandem with Commissioner Gordon. Plaintiff's portrayal of Batman as more of a human detective and less of a superhero with uncanny physical prowess and working in tandem with Commissioner Gordon is an original expression of the idea of Batman.
52. Defendant copied Plaintiff's expression of the idea of Bruce Wayne thinking of abandoning Wayne Foundation. Plaintiff's portrayal of Bruce Wayne thinking of abandoning Wayne Foundation is an original expression of the idea of Bruce Wayne.

It's complete loving nonsense. And he had an Indiegogo to pay for him suing DC originally (that was taken down) but now they're "suing him back" and he needs 20k on a GoFundMe? That's an entire series of red flags.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's no way the policy worked the way he says it does simply to avoid a situation where someone could claim that they submitted an idea and it got stolen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh definitely. All I'm saying is that it would not shock me (or many others) that WB would try to strong arm someone over owed royalties. But as it has unfolded it sounds like he tried to sue WB first.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So who is Eric D. July, exactly?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dawgstar posted:

No one worth knowing really

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dawgstar posted:

He's a vocal libertarian and a contributor to the Blaze, so

Joe Fisto posted:

No one worth knowing really

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Seeing one of the "big" artists of CG unable to crack $10K with his lovely Lobo knock-off does a put a smile on my face:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well that book made the goal of $500 so sorry, it’s a resounding success!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Action Lab doing what they do:

https://twitter.com/jimsupreme/status/1603439822538145792

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
So what’s the next digital comics distributor going to be?

https://twitter.com/cocktailsandink/status/1615786625828536335?s=46&t=lEonzI-Z5A3JK4eI7qcsMA

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm betting as a basic comics distribution service, it's not going anywhere. Why would Amazon want to cut a service that's basically free money? There's no shipping costs, storage and distribution is functionally free on a unit cost, and the rest of the infrastructure is essentially just Kindle anyway. They may stop running sales and cut their originals, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Firing half the people working on it isn't a good sign.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Not at all. That’s where I buy all my books and if the experience gets worse or disappears I’m not sure where to go next besides (files shhhhh)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joe Fisto posted:

or disappears ... (files shhhhh)

i don't know for a fact but I'm assuming that's where all the :filez: come from as well so that might be affected too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Right, I'm saying the service will be degraded and offer fewer features, but I doubt it'll go away since I bet they decided a lot of those jobs were redundant with people on the Kindle team.

None of this is to justify firing, just saying where I bet it's coming from.

site posted:

i don't know for a fact but I'm assuming that's where all the :filez: come from as well so that might be affected too
Almost certainly, though I'm sure if it came to it, people would be happy to fire their scanners back up.