Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think John Romita Sr.'s Peter Parker is definitely handsome and hunky in a way that Ditko's isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How Wonderful! posted:

I think John Romita Sr.'s Peter Parker is definitely handsome and hunky in a way that Ditko's isn't.

Yeah was gonna say. JRSR drew hunky dudes.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

Ivy being absurdly oversexualized is not even something people argue about. They have literally made her bust bigger and her costume smaller ever single game she shows up in. It's like a running joke. Even the shittiest parts of the SC fandom were like "maybe tone it back a bit" before it became illegal to say that because of SJWs.

yeah, it's not the cheesecake I am responding to, it's how incoherent the costume itself looks

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wait that guy is mad that men are displayed as attractive in comics but because women don't have massive boobs or cleavage, they're not?

Also about Soul Calibur, incoherent costumes are just how it is. Ivy is ridiculous but if you look at any character design, it's crazy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Not sure what that guy is on about, I had a quick look at Black Cat on Marvel Unlimited and she seems to have plenty of cleavage and large breasts.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Skwirl posted:

That's unfair, they just prefer the vastly superior comics of the 90's, like, uh

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1262565326929133568?s=19
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1262742651566059522
the past 90s is a foreign country; they do things differently there

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1262742651566059522
the past 90s is a foreign country; they do things differently there

That's not from a Youngblood reboot. That would be from the Team Youngblood book which was the second ongoing series. I want to say it was issue #3, but I might be slightly off.

But if they're posing Masada, they might as well be posting all the panels of her slut-shaming her teammate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How does Chris Sprouse sleep at night.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

How does Chris Sprouse sleep at night.

Cradling his two Eisner awards.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

bessantj posted:

Not sure what that guy is on about, I had a quick look at Black Cat on Marvel Unlimited and she seems to have plenty of cleavage and large breasts.

Are you just talking about the covers? There’s been a bit of contention about the covers being misleading. Either people dismissing it, thinking it’s a cheesecake book. Or, buying it because they think it’s a cheesecake book, and being disappointed. One of the rarer variants of the first issue had Felicia in a bathtub full of milk.

Not that she’s devoid of sexuality or anything. In the book she’s sexy because she’s an attractive person with a strong personality. Some people can’t recognize Black Cat/Catwoman without a zipper down below their navel.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
This makes me wonder how many people bought the Emma Frost comics expecting tons of cheesecake and were confused/angry about reading some YA story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

This makes me wonder how many people bought the Emma Frost comics expecting tons of cheesecake and were confused/angry about reading some YA story.

A LOT.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Comicsgate is recruiting!

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1262848592278106119?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yup. A lot of people jumped on the Greg Horn covers but the interior artist was wildly different and Emma wasn't even blonde yet. That book probably sold solely due to the Horn covers as I was never sure who it was technically aimed at.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Yup. A lot of people jumped on the Greg Horn covers but the interior artist was wildly different and Emma wasn't even blonde yet. That book probably sold solely due to the Horn covers as I was never sure who it was technically aimed at.

The contents was aimed pretty solidly at adolescent and young adult girls and women, Marvel had a pretty strong and very badly done push for that demographic for a hot minute. There was that, Trouble (which has it's own problems), a teenage Namor romance book, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Runaways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's the good version of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Trouble was part of a short-lived 2003 Epic Comics revamp and it was definitely not good for any demographic. Tsunami was also launched in 2003 and that covered more of the YA-oriented stuff that was collected in digests similar in size and format to contemporaneous manga trades-- that's where you had Runaways and Sentinel as well as BKV's pretty good Mystique, the DeFilippis/Weird New Mutants and a few other things like Namor, Venom, a not very good Inhumans series and a Human Torch solo title. Emma Frost released its first issue under the Tsunami banner but the rest were not for whatever reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

Trouble was part of a short-lived 2003 Epic Comics revamp and it was definitely not good for any demographic. Tsunami was also launched in 2003 and that covered more of the YA-oriented stuff that was collected in digests similar in size and format to contemporaneous manga trades-- that's where you had Runaways and Sentinel as well as BKV's pretty good Mystique, the DeFilippis/Weird New Mutants and a few other things like Namor, Venom, a not very good Inhumans series and a Human Torch solo title. Emma Frost released its first issue under the Tsunami banner but the rest were not for whatever reason.

I always thought Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane came in that same wave but it was apparently a few years later.

Man, I haven't thought about that Inhuman series in ages, but then again probably few have.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Oof, seeing the stormfront interface takes me back. They've updated things a bit, I have no idea how they still exist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Oof, seeing the stormfront interface takes me back. They've updated things a bit, I have no idea how they still exist.

I'm guessing some pseudo-mainstream far right organizations, not necessarily Breitbart but stuff like Breitbart, funnel money to them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skwirl posted:

I'm guessing some pseudo-mainstream far right organizations, not necessarily Breitbart but stuff like Breitbart, funnel money to them.

That would make sense, but I think it's sustained by the genuine donations of the slack-jawed, from profiles I've read more recently. The founders' son went to college, actually interacted with poc, gained humanity, and renounced his family, and the profiles of that sequence of events went into the marketing of the place a bit, iirc.

A long time ago I spent time lurking their forums, trying to draw relational maps and understand the ideology. It was a wasted effort- before the resurgence of white nationalist groups under obama, the people who self-selected for places like stormfront were unimaginably stupid- stupid beyond the point of comedy, way past even the entitled idiocies of gamergate and the alt-right. We're talking "actually forgets to breathe" territory.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah how could a Nazi forum exist in 2020?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Stormfront does seem a little pointless when they can just openly post on Twitter and Facebook.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Stormfront does seem a little pointless when they can just openly post on Twitter and Facebook.

We can openly shitpost on Twitter and Facebook yet SA still exists.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Ivy from Soul Caliber: it’s a shame people don’t know about her Player 2 outfit, a full-coverage men’s outfit complete with cravat and hose.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

We can openly shitpost on Twitter and Facebook yet SA still exists.

No, because on SA we occasionally say mean things about Nazis, which gets you banned on Twitter and Facebook.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

It's more that they were so incompetent back in the day I'm amazed no one pressed the wrong button and accidentally the whole site.

Though I guess the SA parallel still applies there, too, lol

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

This is SA; thanks to Radium the site’s code features load-bearing racism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

This is SA; thanks to Radium the site’s code features load-bearing racism.

Stormfront, SA, and groverhaus; three peas in a pod.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That Domino run recently had that same problem with hornball covers not matching at all the contents of the books

It's like the editors want to kill those runs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

That Domino run recently had that same problem with hornball covers not matching at all the contents of the books

It's like the editors want to kill those runs

The Gail Simone run? I thought it had plenty of butts and boobs. It just also had good writing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

The Gail Simone run? I thought it had plenty of butts and boobs. It just also had good writing.

it actually didn't really, for the most part. i'd say it was on the same level as Vulpes' Black Cat series. even the part at the end of the first and beginning of the second issue where she's in her underwear its not drawn particularly cheesecakey

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bessantj posted:

There's some new cartoon in development in which Black Cat is de-aged and wearing a shirt.

This is what they're mad about
https://mobile.twitter.com/twofivezeroone/status/1261126128187641859

fritz fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 20, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

I thought Stormfront lost its hosting a few years ago, so I am surprised they still have a rock to hide under.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

it actually didn't really, for the most part. i'd say it was on the same level as Vulpes' Black Cat series. even the part at the end of the first and beginning of the second issue where she's in her underwear its not drawn particularly cheesecakey

There's also the great scene of Domino in her pajamas:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is it okay that I don't like either design?

Black Cat's comic book outfit is very 70s so it absolutely needs a redesign. The cartoon one reads as "woman who punches out demons at the south pole" than "cat burglar" to me. Also the split color pants look weird.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Random Stranger posted:

Is it okay that I don't like either design?

Black Cat's comic book outfit is very 70s so it absolutely needs a redesign. The cartoon one reads as "woman who punches out demons at the south pole" than "cat burglar" to me. Also the split color pants look weird.

I think that's meant to be shadowing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jedit posted:

I think that's meant to be shadowing.

It's also an early design and she's been changed since and looks just fine on the actual show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's also an early design and she's been changed since and looks just fine on the actual show.

Oh yeah, that looks good. What show IS this?