Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So some more Joss Wheedon being a shithead on the set of Justice League this time about Gal Gadot.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/joss-whedon-threatened-gal-gadots-career-during-justice-league-mess-report?ref=home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/notsofiacoppola/status/1379509976033468417?s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Should've posted part 2

https://twitter.com/notsofiacoppola/status/1379510358176530432?s=19

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I know I’ve mentioned this before in this thread but with all this coming out about him I want to bring up the time Geoff Johns name searched on Twitter and aggressively DM’d me because I had critiqued the way he said he was for racial diversity in comics but yet he kept killing heroes of color to bring back their previous white versions. He DM’d me, some no name teen, because I offered criticism of the way he was handling POC in his comics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I know I’ve mentioned this before in this thread but with all this coming out about him I want to bring up the time Geoff Johns name searched on Twitter and aggressively DM’d me because I had critiqued the way he said he was for racial diversity in comics but yet he kept killing heroes of color to bring back their previous white versions. He DM’d me, some no name teen, because I offered criticism of the way he was handling POC in his comics.

Chris Sims of Comics Alliance went through something similar when he did a story on his old blog that had a readership in probably the dozens at the point.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It’s very obviously a trend for Johns, and has been for some time.

A real shame because his Flash run is the literal single reason I got into comics as a kid. He was my first favorite writer!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Johns has never identified himself as anything but an average white dude to my knowledge. Is this "Lebanese-American" thing new?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Johns has never identified himself as anything but an average white dude to my knowledge. Is this "Lebanese-American" thing new?

I think it came up when Baz was introduced as a Green Lantern.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Doug TenNapel once called me a communist after namesearching himself and finding a tweet I made about him, so Johns is in good company there.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

JordanKai posted:

Doug TenNapel once called me a communist after namesearching himself and finding a tweet I made about him, so Johns is in good company there.

It's incredibly funny to me that people use "communist" as an insult.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I would be ecstatic if TenNapel called me a communist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Non-Muslim Lebanese Americans generally fall into the "generic white person" group if they don't have an accent. Not to discount their heritage, just your average American wouldn't be able to tell if they were of Lebanese or German or Italian descent so they wouldn't experience the same discrimination as people of other ethnic heritages would.

It's basically the equivalent of, if he was Irish American, pointing out the Irish used to be slaves in an article about how he was racist to a Black guy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

White people using their nationality to obfuscate issues in regards to colorism is nothing new.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

White people using their nationality to obfuscate issues in regards to colorism is nothing new.

Yes, but were you aware 100 years ago bars in New York used to have signs saying "No Irish allowed."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Non-Muslim Lebanese Americans generally fall into the "generic white person" group if they don't have an accent. Not to discount their heritage, just your average American wouldn't be able to tell if they were of Lebanese or German or Italian descent so they wouldn't experience the same discrimination as people of other ethnic heritages would.

It's basically the equivalent of, if he was Irish American, pointing out the Irish used to be slaves in an article about how he was racist to a Black guy.

This can get into some uncomfortable territory and into "how white is white enough/too white" when discussing ethnic groups. I'm not saying people of certain ethnic groups can't get by by "passing" but it can also lead to a statement of "oh they are from that ethnic group but not really because they look white". It is kind of erasing culture and such from a person. If someone is Christian Lebanese it doesn't make them any less Lebanese than if they are Muslim.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

This can get into some uncomfortable territory and into "how white is white enough/too white" when discussing ethnic groups. I'm not saying people of certain ethnic groups can't get by by "passing" but it can also lead to a statement of "oh they are from that ethnic group but not really because they look white". It is kind of erasing culture and such from a person. If someone is Christian Lebanese it doesn't make them any less Lebanese than if they are Muslim.

The main thing I was trying to say is there hasn't been any systematic targeting in America of Lebanese people for discrimination the way there has been of women, African Americans or Native Pacific Islanders.

It should also be pointed out that members of a discriminated against class are still perfectly capable of being racist/discriminatory, Joss Whedon's treatment of Gal Gadot is terrible, but I wouldn't mind her getting black listed over statements she's made about Palestine (which won't happen because they're one of the only groups you're allowed to be racist about).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Madkal posted:

White isn't a culture or ethnicity. It's just an appearance and behavior that means the cops don't gently caress with you as much and you're less likely to be targeted for a hate crime. Their is Irish American culture, there is Midwestern culture, etc but there is no white culture etc. Johns does not get pulled over for his appearance, does not got to a place of worship likely to be shot up by some psycho, his accent does not get him refused service. He is white.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

It's all well and good, but Johns is using "Lebanese-American" to appear less racist in a hollywood magazine after it came out that he is a racist dickhead, not to take pride in his heritage or reclaim anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vincent posted:

It's all well and good, but Johns is using "Lebanese-American" to appear less racist in a hollywood magazine after it came out that he is a racist dickhead, not to take pride in his heritage or reclaim anything.
It's this

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea I am not trying to defend Johns and his reasons for why he brings up his background, just that people shouldn't start saying "people from ethnic group 1 aren't really from that ethnic group because they follow a different religion from other people from that region".
It kind of comes across as when people wrote thought pieces about how Obama wasn't black enough. If someone is from a certain ethnic background and is a lovely person, they are still a lovely person and we don't really need to attack their background as not being pure enough.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Madkal posted:

Yea I am not trying to defend Johns and his reasons for why he brings up his background, just that people shouldn't start saying "people from ethnic group 1 aren't really from that ethnic group because they follow a different religion from other people from that region".
It kind of comes across as when people wrote thought pieces about how Obama wasn't black enough. If someone is from a certain ethnic background and is a lovely person, they are still a lovely person and we don't really need to attack their background as not being pure enough.

No one is saying this tho? Unless I missed that post. I’m coming at this as a person of color, which is why I said what I said and chose the words I chose. Hispanic communities face the same issue, white Latinos sell out their brown brothers all the time, nationality has nothing to do with it, their white privilige absolutely does.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

No one is saying this tho? Unless I missed that post. I’m coming at this as a person of color, which is why I said what I said and chose the words I chose. Hispanic communities face the same issue, white Latinos sell out their brown brothers all the time, nationality has nothing to do with it, their white privilige absolutely does.

Was replying to this:

Skwirl posted:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Was replying to this:

yeah and if this wasn't in response to Johns being called racist, you'd have a point. The whole reason he's suddenly identifying as a Lebanese-American, that he had a Black wife and now and Asian wife, it to say "hey, i can't possibly be racist!"

which is racist as gently caress

EDIT: Johns is racist as gently caress, not you, Madkal.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 8, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Was replying to this:

Assume I was also being racist
I think this point still stands.

Skwirl posted:

It should also be pointed out that members of a discriminated against class are still perfectly capable of being racist/discriminatory, Joss Whedon's treatment of Gal Gadot is terrible, but I wouldn't mind her getting black listed over statements she's made about Palestine (which won't happen because they're one of the only groups you're allowed to be racist about).

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/SuburbanJawn/status/1382658734883758082?s=20

Who could have seen this coming from the creator of "Little Girl Lethal"??

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

I hope the lettering on that preview page leads to some kind of enhancement charge.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Claytor posted:

I hope the lettering on that preview page leads to some kind of enhancement charge.

Beat me to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

E the Shaggy posted:

First reply is pointing out that Mr Paedo here is a friend of EVS.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So some people are made that cast a non binary actor in sandman

to play a non binary character

https://www-thewrap-com.cdn.ampproj...31AQFKAGwASA%3D

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
And Death (and all the Endless) appear to people as those people expect them to be, so being literal about skin colors makes no sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

And Death (and all the Endless) appear to people as those people expect them to be, so being literal about skin colors makes no sense.

Yeah, there's flashbacks to ancient Africa and Dream looks African in them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dream is a kitty cat a not insignificant amount of time!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Uthor posted:

Ah just to be clear, this isn't actually the case for any of the Endless other than Dream. The Endless can certainly make themselves look certain ways, but when Death or Desire or Destruction do it, it's basically just them dressing themselves up to make interactions with mortals more comfortable. There's a scene in ancient Greece where Orpheus visits Death's home and she's dressed in her modern outfit, which screws with his head, so she purposefully changes back to ancient attire. That's different from Dream, who's the only one whose appearance differs based on the viewer's perspective, to the point that two people looking at him at the same time might see two different things entirely.

Like it's good that they're casting like this, but being anal about comics canon is also important! :colbert:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Could have sworn they've shown Death interacting in a different body with aliens, but I could be remembering Dream and also I'm not home, so I don't have access to the books to get into a pedantic fight, so I yield!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There was someone who complained that making Death black when she looks white in the comics would be the same as making Mazakeen in Lucifer white when she'd been portrayed as black in the Lucifer comics. Mazikeen was white in the comics. I like the show but I was a little annoyed about the portrayal of Mazikeen, not her skin color, but the fact that all of the skin on her face was there. Felt like a betrayal of the character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Uthor posted:

Could have sworn they've shown Death interacting in a different body with aliens, but I could be remembering Dream and also I'm not home, so I don't have access to the books to get into a pedantic fight, so I yield!
She talked about interacting with aliens a few times, but I don't believe it was ever depicted. Dream is the one who turned into a big flaming head when Martian Manhunter sees him.

...I don't have room in my head for anything other than this stuff. :unsmith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

She talked about interacting with aliens a few times, but I don't believe it was ever depicted. Dream is the one who turned into a big flaming head when Martian Manhunter sees him.

...I don't have room in my head for anything other than this stuff. :unsmith:

I'm watching the Superman and Lois show with my mom and just had to explain John Henry Irons/Steel to her (Return of Superman was the first graphic novel I owned, bought for me by my mom before a long plane flight, so it's her own fault really), and at a certain point she just said "no, stop, no more."

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I'm watching the Superman and Lois show with my mom and just had to explain John Henry Irons/Steel to her (Return of Superman was the first graphic novel I owned, bought for me by my mom before a long plane flight, so it's her own fault really), and at a certain point she just said "no, stop, no more."

Wait, how much is there to explain?

"At one point, everyone thought Superman was dead for a while. One of the people who tried to fill his shoes was a guy named John Henry Irons, who made a robot suit like Iron Man and called himself Steel."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There was someone who complained that making Death black when she looks white in the comics would be the same as making Mazakeen in Lucifer white when she'd been portrayed as black in the Lucifer comics. Mazikeen was white in the comics. I like the show but I was a little annoyed about the portrayal of Mazikeen, not her skin color, but the fact that all of the skin on her face was there. Felt like a betrayal of the character.

The instant I saw her design I knew I was going to hate that show, for the exact same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Wait, how much is there to explain?

"At one point, everyone thought Superman was dead for a while. One of the people who tried to fill his shoes was a guy named John Henry Irons, who made a robot suit like Iron Man and called himself Steel."

Steel himself was fine, it's that it was one of the first comics I read where I actually absorbed the lore and also at the time Lex Luthor was pretending to be his own son and Supergirl was a purple alien that was dating Lex Luthor.