Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jordan7hm posted:

Their channel got me way more into comics especially the year before and the first year of the pandemic. I hope anyone involved seriously reflects and changes their behaviour moving forward, and I also hope that the videos aren’t completely lost. There was an enormous amount of good stuff on that channel, some really great interviews and spotlights on stuff I’d never have heard of without them.

Woke up this morning with their videos showing up in my queue again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Uthor posted:

Cartoonist Kayfabe seems to be missing from YouTube...

looks like its still up? https://www.youtube.com/@CartoonistKayfabe

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Phyllis Schafly AND Ann Coulter! I just remembered the second name she dropped.

With all the Boomers still working in comics, I have a feeling we are going to get more sad news every year moving forward. I think the ones that hit me the hardest were Darwyn Cooke, George Perez, and Keith Giffen. I feel so lucky I got to meet all of them at cons and tell them how much their work has meant to me.

YES! Thank you! I remember reading that exact thing, just forgot some key details, like who wrote it.

Ugh.

What a pair.

Definitely says a lot about the person. Unfortunately so. Yet they still ended up divorced? EVS might have went too crazy enough for her.

You are fortunate to have met so much generational talent. Some of the greats. All one can do is thank them when given the chance for all they've done and you have done so.

That's something to cherish.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 25, 2024

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
More accusers are coming forward.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
What a loving creep loser. Why do these dudes always think this poo poo will never come out?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Conrad_Birdie posted:

What a loving creep loser. Why do these dudes always think this poo poo will never come out?
Because 90% of the time it never does come, or if it does, the perpetrator suffers no consequences. This industry is lousy with missing stairs and good-ol-boys covering for one another.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'd love to be able to honestly ask "why don't these people just not be horrible abusers?", but the answer is generally "horrible abusers are the ones the system is geared to reward".

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

I did know Ethan was a supporter of the right, not sure why but I definitely got that impression at the time. I’m fairly sure he went to the staff once to complain about someone’s view point about something that was going on. I can’t recall what. I do remember people were always uncomfortable with Sinestro’s look, it resembled you know who and he confirmed it was based off him. That was always off putting, if only we knew what was to come.

...Hitler? I thought he was supposed to be Chaplin Vincent Price

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

...Hitler? I thought he was supposed to be Chaplin Vincent Price

Maybe before EVS, but EVS was very clear that he drew Sinestro to resemble Hitler.

He also is very clear that he likes Hitler.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Considering what he wrote as the title for his book, yeah he's definitely a fan.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ped Iskor

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Kurui Reiten posted:

Maybe before EVS, but EVS was very clear that he drew Sinestro to resemble Hitler.

He also is very clear that he likes Hitler.

Didn’t help he literally titled a sketchbook Mein Kampf (but in English).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Didn’t help he literally titled a sketchbook Mein Kampf (but in English).

I thought it was actually called "Mein Kampf (But In English)" until I clicked through. That would have been unsurprising and completely risible, much like his politics.

Got to say, "everyone knows I'm right wing so obviously the title was a joke" is not the defence he thinks it is.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jordan7hm posted:

Their channel got me way more into comics especially the year before and the first year of the pandemic. I hope anyone involved seriously reflects and changes their behaviour moving forward, and I also hope that the videos aren’t completely lost. There was an enormous amount of good stuff on that channel, some really great interviews and spotlights on stuff I’d never have heard of without them.

at this point the only youtube channel I watch for comics is Comics Tropes/Pros and Cons, too many others have turned out to be such bizarre psychos.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Comic Tropes is really good, but I only discovered Comic Pop recently and I'm angry I didn't find it sooner. Just an amazing crew.

But yeah, on average they may be worse than the 'real gamuhr' crowd.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

at this point the only youtube channel I watch for comics is Comics Tropes/Pros and Cons, too many others have turned out to be such bizarre psychos.

Yeah, I was enjoying Comicshistorian for a while but then they slowly pivoted to the whole awkwardly tugging on their collar and saying "You know, I'm not saying Laura Kinney as Wolverine is the type of thing killing comics but something sure is, just asking questions" deal.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I was enjoying Comicshistorian for a while but then they slowly pivoted to the whole awkwardly tugging on their collar and saying "You know, I'm not saying Laura Kinney as Wolverine is the type of thing killing comics but something sure is, just asking questions" deal.

It's TikTok.

That's a joke, the major factors lowering readership is likely a combination of this wild inflation we're experiencing and cultural shifts further away from reading as a leasure activity.

But it's not not TikTok, either.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/ctropes/status/1773844250092019952?s=46

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Looking forward to Ed Piskor’s forthcoming solo youtube series No Holds Barred, where he “can finally be honest,” with rotating interviews with Frank Miller, Dave Sim, Ethan Van Sciver, and the Stonetoss guy.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Great response by Jim.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Looking forward to Ed Piskor’s forthcoming solo youtube series No Holds Barred, where he “can finally be honest,” with rotating interviews with Frank Miller, Dave Sim, Ethan Van Sciver, and the Stonetoss guy.

This seems unfair to Frank Miller. Like, yeah, he's racist, but he's never been accused of sexual assault and while his comics feature prostitute characters more often than you'd think, they're always sympathetic portrayals.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Great response by Jim.

Yeah a nice Rugg pull

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Air Skwirl posted:

This seems unfair to Frank Miller. Like, yeah, he's racist, but he's never been accused of sexual assault and while his comics feature prostitute characters more often than you'd think, they're always sympathetic portrayals.

I seem to remember Frank Miller pulled-up and got his poo poo together somewhat. Is that untrue? Is he even still active, anyway? He looked incredibly unwell last time I saw a photo.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 30, 2024

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Comicgate: "We hate the industry and it should be burned to the ground! It's filled with nothing but SJWs, Minorities, and Women!"
Also Comicsgate: "Why is the industry being mean to us??? :negative:"

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Disco Pope posted:

I seem to remember Frank Miller pulled-up and got his poo poo together somewhat. Is that untrue? Is he even still active, anyway? He looked incredibly unwell last time I saw a photo.

He was a big supporter of the SAG-AFTRA strike last year. And has at least hinted he regrets Holy Terror.

https://x.com/frankmillerink/status/1681013498912940032?s=46&t=KVB7H3367OynmTv03fAF3Q

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

He was a big supporter of the SAG-AFTRA strike last year. And has at least hinted he regrets Holy Terror.

https://x.com/frankmillerink/status/1681013498912940032?s=46&t=KVB7H3367OynmTv03fAF3Q

That's good to find out. I love a lot of things Frank Miller has done.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
It seems that Frank got better after he (allegedly) quit drinking.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

Comicgate: "We hate the industry and it should be burned to the ground! It's filled with nothing but SJWs, Minorities, and Women!"

lmao comicsgate stay the gently caress out of Chicago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

They said we were being offensive, all for just saying offensive things! Also they aren't happy we lied about who was actually going to be in the booth.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Ed has posted a suicide note.

The fact that it's April 1st of course makes everything a bit harder to take seriously, but it reads like a very legit post.

funtax fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 1, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's hosed up. I would suggest people not read that if you don't like morbid writing.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I hope Ed does not kill himself, he is a talented artist who has filled hours of my life with entertaining work. I hope he is found safe, and instead actually reckons with what he has done. He just continues to blame people in that note, little understanding of what he is being accused of and why people are upset at him.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

N/m

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 1, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I hope Ed does not kill himself, he is a talented artist who has filled hours of my life with entertaining work. I hope he is found safe, and instead actually reckons with what he has done. He just continues to blame people in that note, little understanding of what he is being accused of and why people are upset at him.

These people never reckon with what they've done. It's never their fault for being wrong. It's everyone else's fault for not accepting that they were right.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Entirely this.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Some screenshots of FB coming in confirming that Ed has passed. Won’t post here because they’re private family FBs. Goddamit, Ed. I wish it hadn’t gone this way.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
EVS already trying to make this a rally about the Evil Wokers who intentionally pushed him to suicide over something so minor.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Let’s not post about the vile people using this for internet clout, this situation already sucks enough

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Let’s not post about the vile people using this for internet clout, this situation already sucks enough

That's fair. It's why I'm pissed about it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Some screenshots of FB coming in confirming that Ed has passed. Won’t post here because they’re private family FBs. Goddamit, Ed. I wish it hadn’t gone this way.

Considering how people love to fake poo poo and it's April 1st, it's best to wait until proper confirmation is given.