Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/metaltango/status/1050848808110673920?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nazis and bad faith actors, attempt no landing here

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't think letting the cold war powers race to colonize a planet with primitive life is the better option there but maybe I'm in the minority on that one

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Reading the new frontier for the first time, and besides all the accolades i could bestow on Darwyn's work for the book itself, which is obvious by now,... HOW COULD ANYONE, even an alt right Nazi dipshit, THINK THAT DARWYN COOKE would be on their side after reading this

Oh that's right, they didn't

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tynion donated 400 (or 200 recorded twice?) and Slott 500 so far looks like

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kelly Thompson 400/ 200??

Lemire 100

Tomasi 50

MaggsV 50

Jim Zub 100

Matt Rosenberg 50

Al ewing 200

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kwanza Osajyefo donated 250 so BLACK must be doing okay

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Apparently still going well

That marc is Marc Guggenheim btw

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm no fan of waid but is there someone talking about that that isnt boundingintonazism and evs? those are the only links that came up when i googled those names together

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This includes an anonymous 10k donation by the way for folks who haven’t checked the page.

Jfc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When does evs get hit with bank fraud for moving tens of thousands of dollars into multiple new accounts to pledge money to himself

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Relax it was a joke jfc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well i guess that's one way to spin this

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1058110584204521472?s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looks like it's probably because of this

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1058501901258551306

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess it's just a motion to dismiss on jurisdiction grounds but contains quotes from a lot of lovely tweets dickies made, i havent read it all myself

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Has anybody checked to see if he follows dickie and evs yet

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
anyone know who did what this time?

https://twitter.com/comicsandcola/status/1060956859056701441

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is actually a masterpiece of storytelling and all you sjws are just jealous haters

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yes ethan, just relabel your brand and we will all magically forget that youre a nazi

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
someone is pretty much just posting all of meyers book on twitter to tear it down

https://twitter.com/Jafleece/status/1061115342150385664

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
loving lmao animegate

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah good luck finding much support in a fan base that has a large percentage of women and minorities.

Hello yes Japanese creator who doesn't understand English, watch my 40 minute YouTube rant about how the anime industry that my crunchyroll account doesn't make a dent in (tho let's be honest they're pirating) has too many Asians and not enough white men

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Don't most white people read the main characters in Anime as white, since Japanese animators don't use American stereotypes when animating people from their own country (because why would they)? That's what I do until they do something weird with their shoes or an actual white person shows up and I'm like "I'd call that racist, except we nuked two of their cities so they can do what they want."

There's also that anime, even though it escapes the black and white conventions of manga, most often just has all characters have "white" skin.

I think I've only ever seen one anime where a character had dark skin and it's because she's from some specific region I can't think of the name of right now, while all the other characters, though they are all Japanese, have white skin

Not that that excuses the racism of the chuds of course

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Personally the reason I never read anime people as asian as a kid was because they all had blonde/red/brown hair. If all the characters in Sailor Moon had jet black hair I probably woulda figured it out.

At least that part starts to make sense after you've seen a couple and realize that hair color often denotes personality type in anime

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That perving on girls is such an industry standard that the community has dubbed it fanservice i think is as good an indication as any that the anime industry is not being run by, or really catering to for that matter, the evil sjws

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

What? Comics have fan service to, that’s what everyone calls it. Is anime the first time you’ve ever heard that term? Because comics was the first place I heard it.

I have never heard the term fanservice used in that context regarding western comics/cartoons

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Yeah and sometimes I've heard it used to mean references to nerdy stuff.
It's a pretty poor argument.

to be clear, im not talking about fan service, as in a playful nod to hardcore fans like deep dives in star trek lore or whatever, i'm specifically talking about "fanservice", no spaces, a term which refers to scenes in which girls (most often under 18) are placed in overtly sexual situations to satisfy the creep customer base. personally ive only ever seen this used in the manga/anime community

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

A concrete example was when people were selling the Marvel swimsuit issue I remember the term being thrown around a lot. Though that was years after it was published. As I was a baby when it was released.

ill take your word for it, i wasnt really reading comics in the 90s. but i sure dont see it nowadays, and the flippancy it's thrown around (one reason why i dont venture in adtrw) there's the explicit expectation and acceptance that that is a thing in the anime industry and you just have to deal with it. "well beyond the fanservice" "the fanservice in this episode was great" "this ep was really fanservicey" directly in the title card "this is the fanservice episode" etc

site fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve literally never seen this. Also lol if you think that expectation isn’t in comics. People still expect and for the most part get their fan service in western comics. It hasn’t gone away. It’s still a thing, Their has been a pushback but it’s not disappeared. Like to this day the tits and rear end pose is a thing.

i just saw that title card the other day, kobayashis dragon maid, ep 7 and go into like any thread in adtrw for the rest

and i didnt say there wasnt that expectation for certain segments of western readers, but that those scenes are so regularly used in the anime industry that the entire community decided to apparently appropriate (according to vkeios) a term to refer to that specific thing, often as a flippant dismissal of the grossness of what it denotes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s a term comic book readers use to so I’m not sure why it’s special. Comics have engaged in fan service of varying types since the 60s and whether the term originated somewhere else seems like a pointless distinction.

Also lol a certain segment of readers. By that you mean the core audience? Blows my mind people are trying to pretend fan service isn’t a huge part of western comics and haven’t always been that way.

Also that dragon thing apparently is a joke they do for every episode so I feel your being disingenuous a bit.

well as someone who actually watched the show thats the only time it's used and shockingly it refers to the beach episode so youre wrong there. and it's pretty funny im being called disingenuous by the person blatantly ignoring what im saying about how it's used now and what archy told us about how it was used then to say bluh-bluh look there were boobs in the 60s too

like, you're not defending fanservice as a good thing as far as i can tell so im not sure what youre getting out of this

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

The idea that anime fanservice is some unique thing rather than something literally any visual medium engages in.

Hell they were making jokes about it with she hulk in the 80s

but ive repeatedly stated that that's not what im refering to and you and i both know that you know that.

let me put it another way, not seeing a lot of panty shots of teenage girls coming out of the big 2, or the indie pubs for that matter, or in cartoons

site fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah, youre clearly not arguing in good faith so im done

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you want to change the narrative you do you but please dont lie about what i said to do it thx

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who lied about what you said you literally said you never heard it used in that way for western comics. Like here is where you said it if you forgot. I don’t know why you feel the need to lie about something we can look up.

Unless your not talking to me?

you

site posted:

That perving on girls is such an industry standard that the community has dubbed it fanservice i think is as good an indication as any that the anime industry is not being run by, or really catering to for that matter, the evil sjws
could

site posted:

to be clear, im not talking about fan service, as in a playful nod to hardcore fans like deep dives in star trek lore or whatever, i'm specifically talking about "fanservice", no spaces, a term which refers to scenes in which girls (most often under 18) are placed in overtly sexual situations to satisfy the creep customer base. personally ive only ever seen this used in the manga/anime community
try

site posted:

ill take your word for it, i wasnt really reading comics in the 90s. but i sure dont see it nowadays, and the flippancy it's thrown around (one reason why i dont venture in adtrw) there's the explicit expectation and acceptance that that is a thing in the anime industry and you just have to deal with it. "well beyond the fanservice" "the fanservice in this episode was great" "this ep was really fanservicey" directly in the title card "this is the fanservice episode" etc
reading

site posted:

i just saw that title card the other day, kobayashis dragon maid, ep 7 and go into like any thread in adtrw for the rest

and i didnt say there wasnt that expectation for certain segments of western readers, but that those scenes are so regularly used in the anime industry that the entire community decided to apparently appropriate (according to vkeios) a term to refer to that specific thing, often as a flippant dismissal of the grossness of what it denotes

because i pretty clearly spell out exactly what i mean

okay now im done. i got other stuff thats a better use of my time tonght

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

So um, were did I lie and change the narrative. That’s a pretty big accusation that your just gonna drop when proven wrong. I would at least like to admit you were mistaken.

I am fully aware of what your argument is. You said you were done an I’m respecting that.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Remember the original argument wasn’t the origins of the phrase but that it was used to describe comics which it was.

I suppose i couldve said intentionally saying my argument was something it wasnt but why use so many words to get to the same place

twistedmentat posted:

And I remember what I originally wanted to ask about in this thread, before I got distracted by them being afraid of Kate Leth; what happened with that terrible "Hero" that was a sexy lady covered with stars and bars? I wish i could remember what it was called, but it seemed like it was the other big Alt Right comic book besides Iron Sights and Alt Hero.

I was gonna look this up but i couldnt even remember what it was supposed to be called lol

I did look up alt hero though and apparently it started coming out in like july but im guessing it must be aggressively mediocre at best because i never saw anybody even do a takedown of it like iron sights

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol they fought against the nazis in ww2, now they fight for the rights of refugees and foreigners

EVIL

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nuns with Guns posted:

It really says a lot when Vox Day's scheme for chud money has been more successful and has better production values than D&C's darling.

e-

Vox Day is a pretty open nationalist and enthusiastic fascist, which is why everything he produces comes off more cartoonishly evil. It's also why comicsgate didn't want anything to do with him; they can't pretend to be concerned normal people if he's off to the side calling black people apes and longing for a white ethnostate.

Now that evs and Dickie have abandoned ship I guess vox is free to move ahead with the comicsgate imprint

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Aren't you that dumbass nobody that came into the last thread telling everybody they were wrong while never actually having an idea of their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you know, it's amazing that ive never heard of that guy spoken about by anyone, in any capacity, anywhere, ever, because reading that thread it sounds like he's singlehandly responsible for bringing down comicsgate