Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The fact that Spider hosed Yelena is now a bit :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/katiewest/status/1407778912520880128?s=20

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Moore is a Sex Weird, not a Sex Pest.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/Short_Box/status/1419960795790708738?s=20

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah this is sketchy as all hell and someone needs to come clean with exactly who these "parties that were holding us back" were, and why it was allowed to get this far.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I really loving wish that comic creators weren't such unbelievable shitheads, because I love Prophet, have the first trade, and can't bring myself to buy the rest because of how much of a dick Brandon Graham is.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

All I'm seeing here is a white person telling an Asian person what he should and should not find offensive in artistic depictions of Asian people. Can you please explain how this is a massive win?

pictured: noted white person Erica Hederson
https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/1492514236207140866?s=20&t=aUUWtoI86WkESaU88lfAJg

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nice Frog Towels

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

all their "art" is traced too
https://twitter.com/nellucnhoj/status/1530983800741797890?s=20&t=uYbXXuCX5exaHwJotN9P5w

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

:piss:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gripweed posted:

a story about a cancelled superhero could be fun. Like that moment in AGDQ when the announced announced a 10,000$ donation and there was a huge cheer, and then announced it was from Notch and there was an awkward silence. People are happy that a hero is here to save the day, but not thrilled that it's that guy.

To work as a story the hero would have to grow and change though, and I don't imagine that's the kind of story being told in that comic

Small town Clark Kent style hero comes to the big city, not a bad guy but just chock full of learned prejudices and has to learn to overcome them and realise that a bunch of the poo poo he learned as a kid is just flat out wrong.

Also later on he realises that he's gay, or at least bi. Bam, there's your pitch.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Have you met angry nerds with opinions on how women's superhero costumes should look? Remember when Batgirl got a motorcycle jacket (a perfectly logical thing for her to wear since her version of the batmobile is historically a motorcycle)?

All I know is that the New 52 Supergirl outfit was loving dire

The boots with knee cutouts? The crotch panel? What?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

On Krypton, boots are a symbol that means "hope"

But only if they have knee-holes

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Planetary still remains good, but Transmet aged like milk.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Ellis' self-insert lecturing people on morals doesn't quite hold much appeal now.

He sleeps with his "Filthy Assistant" too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Is that related to the stuff that they posted on their twitter?

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1668496867552813056?s=20

EDIT: Seems to be different but related drama, but it's interesting that in this thread from an ICC editor (quoted by Spike) he confirms that they're underpaid and that there are other "serious problems"

https://twitter.com/kellhound/status/1668309778819596288?s=20

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 15, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The username 'Iron Spike' seems familiar. Was she involved in some MRA stuff a while back?

I doubt it unless she was on the receiving end.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

Ellis has at least kept his shittiness strictly contained to his personal affairs and not the comics industry at large. So there's that.

I was trying to work out a way to phrase that, so I'm glad you found a way to.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The other book was written by a big boy who ran away please don't get mad at me

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Gail Simone, Matt Fraction, Kelly Sue DeConnick, and Chip Zdarsky were all regular posters on the Warren Ellis Forum in the early 2000s, before any of them blew up. Fraction and Kelly Sue met and fell in love there!

Kieron Gillen too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the last thing I read from Ellis was Trees, which was good, but I wonder if his shtick will still be popular in tyol 2024

I won't be buying it, either way

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Babs’ true love is Ted Kord

:hmmyes:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I found my copy of Comics Journal 304, which I bought because it has a long interview with Simon Hanselmann in it, and woof, he is a fascinating dude, and also a oval office (in his own words, and accurately). Absolutely lovely upbringing that a lot of the events of Megg Mogg and Owl are drawn directly from, genderfluid, weird mix of bootstraps mentality and leftwing political leaning, has a hatred of soft-queer tumblr culture and neo-pronouns, thinks the metoo movement went too far but has never been accused of anything even obliquely and is all accounts not a creepy gently caress. I wish I could repost the whole thing but it's a good chunk of the issue.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I always figured the creator of Megg Mog and Owl had some, let's go with "interesting," upbringing.

in the interview he casually mentions several instances of being abused as a child ("not too seriously though"), and also smoking weed at 8 years old.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

The other stuff is very typical Australian "popular left" which is mildly centre-right. Mildly progressive socially, "except for the real weirdos" (this was lgb people a decade and a half ago) and economically gently caress you got mine

The thing is, Hanselmann IS one of the real weirdos and specifically quotes the existence of the dole as being the reason he could focus on comics. In the interview you can really see him ping-ponging back and forth between progressive views and the ingrained centre-right attitudes you describe. Real fascinating stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Claytor posted:

I was a huge fan of Hanselmann up until Crisis Zone, at which point I fell off hard and kind of regretted how much I enjoyed the earlier work. Not only did the quality and coherence of the work take a dive, but it also read like Hanselmann had veered hard into "gently caress You, Got Mine" territory after the success of the last couple of books.

Yeah, plus Crisis Zone is pretty much a webcomic done over COVID, whereas the others are either deliberate long-form works or collections of zines. So there's less room for the kind of sudden punch of tragedy that the other books have.