Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

To be fair, last I heard he had a myriad of health problems.

I thought he had his own Kickstarter ages ago to help with his....I want to say eye....problems. Glad he is still kicking around and is on the right side of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why does no one know what fascism means.

I think they have been taught that fascism is bad, but they like what fascism brings to the table so they have decided that anything they don't like has to be fascism.

Example: like a strong leader using the military to beat up people with a different skin colour = not fascism. Saying maybe people with different skin colour than you is actually still a human being and should be treated accordingly = fascism.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bringing Lee into the conversation does add a weird dimension to CG. They talk about going back to the comics were when they were younger, and the misplaced belief that comics were non-political back in the good old days, but if you look at Lee (and others) output during their peak you see that Lee and Kirby created Black Panther, X-Men comics were a stand in for minorities, Spiderman was just a regular shlub trying to do the right thing for others etc. The stories being pumped out by Marvel during Lee's tenure were about acceptance and tolerance.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's kind of sad in a pathetic way to see Mahr troll the comics community to achieve any amount of relevance.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
All I am saying is that form of literature is a sign of civilizations decline, says a wise man.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Guys bear with me for a second here, and I know what I am about to say will blow your mind.
I don't thing these guys are arguing I good faith.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm reading some old (1980's) Batman comics and in the issue I am at Batman is tracking down some serial killers who kill women because feminism is challenging their masculinity. They complain about how women are making men weak and such, and I am wondering if these are the comics chuds want to go back to when they say they want to go back to when comics weren't political.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Not to say anything nice about Comicsgate, but Alt-Hero has put out five issues. They're not on Comixology but they're all on Kindle, and I read issues 1, 2, and 4 on Kindle Unlimited (#3 and #5 aren't free on there and I'm not giving them any money). I talked about it upthread, it was terrible and clearly has not taken the comics world by storm given that you weren't even aware that it came out.

The follow-up series Alt-Hero: Q by Chuck Dixon got canned by Indiegogo and moved to a shadier crowdfunding site and raised $18,000 and is scheduled to come out in May 2019, so we'll see what happens to that. Trump's Space Force, another book by Chuck Dixon, was supposed to come out in November 2018 and there's no sign of it either.

Goddammit Chuck Dixon. You used to write awesome Robin stories and now you do this. Why must you be so lovely?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

It's an especially long con that involves doing a bunch of conservative interviews for the past twenty+ years, writing op-eds titled things like "How Liberalism Became Kryptonite for Superman" for the Wall Street Journal, doing friendly interviews with Milo Yiannopolous and Steve Bannon, adapting the conspiracy-peddling book Clinton Cash into a graphic novel, blaming his reduced workload at DC/Marvel on "leftist political cliques", trying to do a "conservative" Captain America book for Crossgen in the mid-2000s where "American Power" would go over to Iraq and behead all of the terrorists while wearing a leather bondage mask, etc.

Quick question, and I figure that there isn't really an adequate answer out there, but in the specific case of Dixon, did all this stuff come out after 9/11, and in the broader sense how many comic creators got their brains....er....broke...by 9/11? I know Frank Miller is a pretty good example as you can see the direction his work took before and after 9/11, but I am curious if people like Dixon were more centrist before and then 9/11 happened and they became more...radicalised (if that is the right word). This isn't to make an excuse, but I am wondering if 9/11 broke a lot of people in the comic community for the worst.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Surprised he didn't start a GoFundMe to raise money to buy all those toys to destroy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/kwanzer/status/1091037313331798016

Imagine ANYBODY cowering from the pudgy white Mormon dude.

And what he seems to be enraged about is essentially sending out samples. LIKE YOU DO AS AN ARTIST.

Igle replies:

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status/1091040360799731712

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Not Gaiman himself but I know a few authors that get paid more money on the talking/class circuit than through book sales so I don't really see a problem with Gaiman doing it. If people can't afford to go to his classes that isn't his fault, and if they want to use a GoFundMe or whatnot to attend his classes, again this shouldn't be his problem either. If he decides to signal boost it thinking it might help the people raise the funds, than whatever, but expecting him to take a pay cut or whatnot because some people can't afford taking his class isn't really feasible.
Usually authors have a set rate for these kind of things anyway, with a set price for speaking engagements and such. It isn't really scummy as this is how they get their income. To say that someone is rich enough that they don't need to earn money anymore doesn't really make sense.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

That takes me back to a customer who was unaware that Captain America was created by jewish men.

About 80% of all their beloved characters were created by Jewish men.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hadji murad posted:

I apologize. I certainly did not intend to give that impression. I should have correctly pointed out that the best way to oppose Nazis is full communism, as their victory showed.

I wouldn't point to Stalinist Russia as the best way to defeat Nazis unless you are a big fan of throwing people into the front lines until you where the enemy down.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There really needs to be a sarcasm signal that people can add to the end of sentences so you can see what the person meant. What Eldred wrote sarcastically could be said seriously by any comicsgater chud.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Tieri is a poor man's Daniel Way. Did I mean that as an insult? You decide.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gynovore posted:

Eh. I don't claim to be an expert on Islam, but from what I've heard, alcohol and extramarital sex are BIG no-nos.

Get this but Muslims are people too! And some of them chose how closely they want to follow the teachings of the Koran, just like people in other religions. And if they don't want to follow the teachings of Koran and drink and party and have wild orgies that's okay too (unless you live in some theocractic country in which case you might be screwed).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Puppy Time posted:

I mean there's a big ol' difference between "Real actual human Muslim does this poo poo IRL" and "fictional Muslim written by a non-Muslim does this in a story."

One is a human being with agency, the other is being dictated entirely by someone else.

Sort of like how there are definitely women with big tiddies who wear (or at one time wore) 90s crop top baby doll tees and low-rise jeans and thongs, but you still have a point if you side-eye an artist for making that a character design.

True, but you also got to be careful of having your characters become stereotypes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The technical term is Ur-fascism. Here is a quick bullet point wiki write up about it

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

I was referring to Ethan is not a Nazi

I have no idea who David brothers is

This post made me feel incredibly old.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Weird he would be comparing EVS to Kirby seeing as Kirby hated Nazis.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well the guy is doubling down that Kirby isn't that great an artist and also that Kirby would have hated "the femanazi communists" that his characters have become. Truly this is a Kirby scholar.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe the Doom Patrol review bomb is because the show portrays Nazis in a negative way. That might rub some people the wrong way.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I can't disagree with this. I met my wife at my previous job and I was so smitten I tracked her down on FB. Plus I have lots of goon friends on there now.

You aren't friends with me on Facebook you jerk.

As for social media it helps me keep in touch with friends and family all over the world so I am grateful for that (seriously try being an immigrant and stay in touch with people from your home country without it) but sadly like all things we just can't have nice things because people are jerks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Please note that Transmet is very much a product of it's time, and while it had elements that are timeless (ie corrupt evil politicians) it shouldn't really be seen as pro fascist by today's standard. Transmet is anti authority in it's treatment of cops (corrupt) and very critical of big strong leaders willing to deal with minorities as scum. Look at Spider's admiration for the lower class and those forgotten by society for instance. A few issues were basically Spider talking about those at risk and how society pretends they don't exist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Those reviews were so bad that I am having a hard time believing that they weren't written on a Russian online troll farm.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Alien/Aliens is always wanna of those films I wonder about when I think "how would this be received if it is was released now".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Funny, when I think of white people who get a tattoo written in Japanese that they think says "honour" but really means "pigfucker" I think of some meathead, but this guy has just replaced that image.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A famous case about libel in England was when famous historian and even more famous Holocaust denier David Irving got upset about being called an anti Semite by Deborah Libstadt. He took her to trial in England for libel where she has had to prove that he was anti-Semitic shithead because the burden of proof was on her even though he was the one suing her. Luckily for her though, Irving own works show him to be a gigantic anti-Semitic shithead so it wasn't too hard to prove it.
The case was kind of famous for having the Holocaust acknowledged to having occurred in official court of law in England though, just in case there was any doubt.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea my first impression was "Catwoman?!?" too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Baboons are the best and you just need to accept that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Bob Kane did nothing wrong.txt

The .txt part is pretty much stated on his tombstone.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My middle name is Jay. My parents told me that it was a shorten form of Isaac, a relative I was supposed to be named after. I think they just said this because they liked the name Jay, hated the name Isaac, and did some mental gymnastics to justify the name.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

I think the Romans didn't have the letter J, so I was used to represent it, like in Latin versions of the bible, so Joseph would start with an I, but unless Issac is supposed to be pronounced "Jizzak" that sounds like bullshit.

Polly is a nickname for Mary.

Hebrew for Isaac is Yitzchak. The J makes a Y sound. As far as I know though, Hebrew doesn't shorten the name Yitzchak. Joseph would become Yosef as well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kurui Reiten posted:

What's McFarlane like, anyway? Is he as up his own rear end as his work on Spawn and the like would suggest?

I saw him at Emerald City about 2 years back and he likes to talk. A lot. He comes across as a bit of a salesman who always has a "great story" to tell. That being said, seeing him do an interview with Stan Lee was definitely a highlight.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Terrific production really seems like a Nigerian Prince scam, but for comic book people.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Okay, now I am convinced this some kind of internet "Nigerian Prince" like scam. No one can be this loving dense.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't forget safety inspector Mark Fraid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Mark Maid is too busy cleaning up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Both the All Quiet on the Western Front book and movie directly addresses the "glory" of war quite well, and I don't see how anyone can watch the movie and think "was looks amazing"