Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

X-O posted:

1. Harassment or intolerance of any kind is unacceptable.

Does this include harassment or intolerance of nazis and other assorted bigots?

Or are people gonna get insta-banned because of a "Paradox of Tolerance" situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

X-O posted:

If you read and understood the rest of that rule you shouldn’t be asking this question.

I did read it but I am not sure I understood it because I am worried about statements you made in the last thread where you seemed to confuse telling nazis to gently caress off with actual harassment. If you've had a change of heart that's cool but it'd be nice to have it in writing

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Yeah I got that the last thread was like that, that's part of my apprehension. I am asking about this thread and you have so far refused to give a straight answer twice. Are you going to ban people for perceived harassment against nazis and other assorted bigots?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11/03/alleged-kentucky-kroger-shooter-complained-about-racebending-superheroes/#.W93SskO9TVQ.twitter

quote:

Bush, who self-identified as a comic book fan and posted frequently about comics and superheroes on social media, complained about “SJW reasoning” in casting POC actors in the role of traditionally white superheroes multiple times over the past 3 years.
“In my opinion, demanding that Iron Fist should be Asian, even if it is to correct a long lasting lack of Asian American heroes, etc, is FAR more offensive,” Bush wrote. “Why? Because people are literally demanding that our hero be a racial stereotype, in a most ironic demand from people who claim to be progressive.”

This wasn’t the first time Bush expressed racial anger about superheroes. On May 24, 2015, Bush posted in response to the casting of Jaden Smith as Static Shock, “They cast a black Human Torch, why not a white Static-Shock? You know why.”

"Where is the 'White Entertainment Television' network?!" I shout as I spray bullets into a krogers :freep:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Don't most white people read the main characters in Anime as white, since Japanese animators don't use American stereotypes when animating people from their own country (because why would they)? That's what I do until they do something weird with their shoes or an actual white person shows up and I'm like "I'd call that racist, except we nuked two of their cities so they can do what they want."

Japanese people in Anime

Chinese people in Anime

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

left of center...will raise the value of his rental properties.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

CynicalThundercunt posted:

Sorry for believing that every single person on this planet deserves to be able to speak their mind, regardless of their ideals, unless it's truly harmful

saying "yeah man gently caress the blacks amiright" isn't necessarily* killing anyone.

like two ships passing in the night

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Now I'm interested. Can you explain to me how an individual rear end in a top hat saying something edgy is killing someone and putting multiple people in harms way?

White supremacists radicalize each other and new recruits by being "Ironically" racist until they end up shooting their school or a local synagogue

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

I mean, I've never really taken the time to think about how ironic comments could turn into a desire to shoot up a synagogue, I can't even fathom what it would be like to be susceptible to that kind of poo poo and I'd prefer to believe that human beings can not be that loving retarded that it comes from a few dumb comments, but if that's really how it is, I'm ready to reconsider my stances completely. I'm just not sure that extreme of a jump from dumb comments is what happens, it's not like someone hears some rear end in a top hat say something edgy and goes "Yeah man I want to go to a Nazi meetup!", is it?

I feel like to write this you'd have to be either a complete internet virgin or you've just willingly shut your eyes closed to the horror that is online.

If its the former feel free to google "weev"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Thanks, I guess new users aren't allowed to make accounts

SA gets more reregs than new accounts, and that's probably been true for almost a decade

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's from a book without pictures.

its a tragedy they had to cut it from infinity war for time though

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

"DEBATE ME OR I WILL KEEP MUTILATING TOYS MADE FOR CHILDREN"
ahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1090657830032625666

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Anora posted:

Hell, at a Wal-mart job I had, I reported a guy for stealing and slacking so hard at his job that it affected the customers, and I was the one who got fired, for rudeness, because on a particulaly bad day I came in asked what the gently caress was going on with them just letting him do that.

I would have also fired you for being a snitch

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

I think the most frequent claim is that he created Dust "the first Muslim X-Man" and Jessica Cruz* "the first Latina Green Lantern" and therefore he can't be racist.

*citation needed

Sometimes he remembers to say "co-created", other times not.

He created the first Arab-Muslim X-Men character and gave them sand powers. If he had been on the marvel team way back when and been given the task of making the first black X-Men what on earth would he have done then? Cotton and Watermelon powers?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Eh. I don't claim to be an expert on Islam, but from what I've heard, alcohol and extramarital sex are BIG no-nos.

lmao

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

FMguru posted:

We even have an emoticon for it

:umberto:

It's from Umberto Eco's famous essay on the traits of fascism, a key one of which is portraying one's enemies as simultaneously stupid and weak and hapless AND vicious and cunning and powerful. “Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak."

Umberto Eco posted:

When I was a boy I was taught to think of Englishmen as the five-meal people. They ate more frequently than the poor but sober Italians. Jews are rich and help each other through a secret web of mutual assistance. However, the followers of Ur-Fascism must also be convinced that they can overwhelm the enemies. Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm not really sure how "bro" could be stripped of its gendering, but "dude" feels more possible.

I was having an entirely separate conversation about the word "dude" a couple of weeks ago and it never occurred to me before then that the modern connotation of "dude" comes almost entirely from people forgetting/never knowing the meaning behind the phrase "dude ranch"; "dudes" were dandy fop city slickers and a "dude ranch" was a farm/ranch that wasn't doing Real Manly Man poo poo but a place where "dude" tourists from the big city could come out and pretend to be cowboys or Wild West Frontiersmen on holiday. I know it's gone through a bunch of mutations since then, but I still found that fascinating if perhaps obvious to others.

It's like realizing that Bugs Bunny ruined the superlative "nimrod" forever.

As a californian I can tell you, "Dude" has been gender neutral for decades

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Alaois posted:

thats just what people from wisconsin end up looking like eventually

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuPzgGEWwAEpXKo.jpg

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

TrekBek posted:

hey that me!

he's changed his name to something even more incredibly ironic. also I really do think these guys think she makes money from cosplaying.

what's the absolute inverse of a stan account?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Jedit posted:

And in Wild Cards there's a white supremacist with super speed who calls himself the Racist.

Using any character from Wild Cards is cheating, especially Fortunato.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1132043770906775552

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Iceman must loudly reassure all bakers that he would never force them to bake him a gay cake.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

*the wooshing sound of a boeing 747 jet flying inches overhead*

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

Folks. TUG just doxxed himself.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1153817487454035969?s=21

Basically, she mentioned the name of the actor for some Harry Potter bullshit, and TUG started flipping out about being doxxed because that guy has the same name as him.

He is such a tremendous dipshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDPkbL1RjKU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

That's how these go yeah. Eventually he'll say something undeniably racist or otherwise indefensible on camera and they'll quietly walk away and find a new person to center on

Nah, that would only harden his support

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

To be fair he operates out of a strip mall in a small town in Minnesota that has a population of 1,200. It's also got 7 churches, 3 gun stores, 2 liquor stores, and 4 bars.

A minnesota town with more churches than bars?

What a nightmare

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1155570060183949312

lmao

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Bless that woman for triggering more chuds in a day than most of us can in a year.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Covok posted:

You do realize that the phrase "trigger warning" was originally invented to warn rape victims about content that might trigger their PTSD. People expanded on it in an attempt to try to make people more sensitive to others issues.

The phrase "triggering" was a perversion of the term invented by the alt right as a way of mocking people and claiming that the left were overly sensitive "snowflakes." The alt right also perverted it to effectively shut down an attempt to help rape victims and to shut down an attempt to try to teach people to be more sensitive to each other's needs, as both are anthenma to them.

By using these terms, you're only helping them and spitting on your own beliefs.

Language changes over time and I have no qualms with rubbing the nose of fragile manchildren into the poo poo they created. In no way does it spit on my own beliefs to mock them for being the addle-minded oversensitive children they have wrongfully accused others of being.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Isn't this what got the last thread closed and locked?

Nah, that was mostly people bringing up bad-faith defenses of nazis and getting decorum poisoned that nazis were being called scum that got the last thread closed.

It's fine to discuss terminology and phrasing and the words we use do have an impact on the society we live in.

Zinkraptor posted:

You have to understand that saying they're "triggered" doesn't have the effect you think it does. Triggered in their mind only has negative connotations, so they don't see any irony. To them, you may as well be using the word "stupidhead" (though, to be fair, they're usually fragile enough that "stupidhead" is enough to get the job done)

This however is incredibly and empirically false. Emasculation and public shaming are key components of antifascism because fascists draw public support from highly public shows of masculinity and toughness. Casting them in any light that shows them as the stunted and pathetic wastrels they are is a good thing and cannot be overutilized. Which is why I made the post in the first place congratulating ren on causing so many highly public meltdowns.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Covok posted:

Yo, how you be forgetting my man Detective Chimp?

Chimpanzees are great apes

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

catlord posted:

Jesus, this is so '90s you might as well expand it to pogs.

Remember fascism? It's back, in pog form!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It's a hilarious misunderstanding of how internet harassment works that they think that's what gets to people. It's not one well timed bon mot, it's having dozens to hundreds of people saying "die whore" and some of them letting you know they have your home address. Also the same thing happening to all your friends and family.

It's the worst thing that's ever happened to them personally

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Ben Garrison?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Wendell posted:

“How about the girl the artist is dating has very similar same face/body shape in his artwork?”

That’s not creepy at all, what the heck? Someone draws people they think are beautiful and is also dating a person they think is beautiful. OK. This is all seeming real bitter.

Oh sure, at best its just subtle and ultimately inconsequential preferences. But read the 2nd part of that tweet
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/1166843437204721664

If something is a coinflip between "basically innocuous" and "terrifying psychosexual implications" a bit of healthy skepticism is merited

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, somebody getting bent out of shape for someone pointing out they're being kinda lame for printing in a horrible country is a p good meltdown.

It's not printed in the USA though

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/QanonAnonymous/status/1175545824597565440

Watch out EVS there's a new grifter in town

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

2) Most psychopaths don't have a "primal urge to kill." Most never kill anyone. A lot of people with psychopathy live very successful lives in big business, where a lot of their symptoms blur, for better or worse, with the traits that capital requires.

You're sending some mixed messages here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

I don't think I'm an especially noteworthy or vocal poster here but I also think I'm pretty consistent in my views and my principles so if you honestly think I'm writing apologia for CEOs and executives and bankers and what not I feel like I've misrepresented myself pretty egregiously. If I'm reading too much into this comic's representation of mental difference that's fine but "some psychopaths are fine, upstanding capitalists" is not what I was shooting for and if careless phrasing made it technically possible to parse it that way I still don't think that was at all the substance of what I was talking about.

Regardless, I've been running myself pretty ragged the past few weeks and I know I have a tendency to get over-emotional and rhetorically sloppy when I'm talking about mental illness in pop culture, so I'll just bow out and apologize for bringing it up, it was kind of a silly hill to die on anyway.

I definitely did not read it as you defending CEOs or other highfalutin capitalists but just meant it as a joke about the cultural cliche of 'respectable man in suit and tie doing business' being held in higher regard than 'mentally ill person just trying to get by'