Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

yeah, assholes are gonna be assholes

A bit part of the problem is that we live in a media climate, on an internet, where every crackpot and reactionary worldview can be validated by some grifter through a simple google search. That's never going to be eliminated entirely, but like you said before it means that someone has to already be questioning or not deeply invested in whatever worldview they're espousing if you want to pitch alternatives to them. And that's notably rare because it would mean admitting wasting years or decades of your life on harmful causes, which is a really painful realization to make. It's easier to sink into deeper webs of conspiracy crafting where you're not the bad one, those other people who say you're a racist who is directly contributing to the death of poor people are the real evil. They're a front to a global conspiracy to destroy civilization and put your children in cages!

There is value in discussing the benefits of allies, especially privileged allies who have the time and mental/physical resources to cope with abuse because they only opt in to it when they're directly engaging oppressors. And privileged allies can also be beneficial because it means that there's someone who "looks like them" talking to critics, like with Tim Wise, which they may be more willing to listen to. But there are also a lot of people who like the optics of looking like an ally or progressive advocate but who turn out to be self-obsessed opportunists that are totally willing to drop the act the minute it becomes inconvenient or embarrassing for them. It's how Ian Miles Cheong went from being a visible anti-gamergate voice to rattling a tin can at various alt-right media outlets after he had a twitter meltdown because people called elements of Witcher 3 sexist. It's a lot of work (and drama) sussing out honest advocates from people who are only doing it for some personal gain, and it's perfectly understandable that any new voices would be regarded suspiciously for a while until they gain enough trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blockhouse posted:

Tabletop gaming absolutely has a problem with lovely nerds, serial harassers, and bigots but any attempt to try and get an organized movement going like CG and GG has been immediately stamped out by people in the TRPG online community. The audience is theoretically there and god knows there's been issues lately (the new White Wolf being ran by a fascist, the large portion of WH40k fandom unironically into the Imperium's ideology, sexual harassment at Pathfinder Society events), but the community as a whole wasn't having it. Hell the last attempt to make a D&DGate hashtag was immediately hijacked by people talking about their favorite gates from fantasy artwork.

The D&DGate thing fell flat because there was no real weight of public figures behind it. And the guy leading the push is an unlikable rear end in a top hat with fans that are too crusty to use Twitter or YouTube. (Though I guess that didn't stop the D&D dev team from recruiting him for a paid playtest of 5e to buy his endorsement of it.) He's busy embedding himself in comicsgate now and nobody is giving him the time of day.

Comicsgate had a few false starts before some major creators jumped in on it and the D&C YouTube channel got big enough to campaign around. The blowup around that alt right Magic: the Gathering youtuber harassing female cosplayers should be proof that the ingredients are there if someone can perfect the recipe for a tabletopgate.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 15, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The difference is that WotC immediately took a huge steaming poo poo on Hamhocks and made it clear that the behavior isn't acceptable

Unlike marvel

That's true but they only took action after a woman said she had been targeted by him and his followers for months of harassment, which ultimately led to her leaving the community. It's not like they were unaware of what a shithead he was, either, since they'd already taken him off their list of sponsored people they'd send promotional and preview stuff to.

Like I said, the potential is there for worse. Hopefully the comparatively small (non MtG/Warham wings) of tabletop gaming will prevent anything worse if the communities are proactive, but it's still worrying.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Barry Convex posted:

wait, how/why is Comicsgate dead? is there a good explainer somewhere?

Ethan is breaking away. D&C deleted his Twitter ahead of the nuisance lawsuit he filed against Mark Waid, and the suit itself will end up being a big money pit for him. The rest are still there and will still keep trying to make this a thing, but the momentum is lost for the moment.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It really says a lot when Vox Day's scheme for chud money has been more successful and has better production values than D&C's darling.

e-

twistedmentat posted:

If I had no idea what this was from, I'd assume that this was written by a leftist who was writing from a POV of a fascist to attack their beliefs. And Lol it totally straight up admits they are the fascists in there.

Vox Day is a pretty open nationalist and enthusiastic fascist, which is why everything he produces comes off more cartoonishly evil. It's also why comicsgate didn't want anything to do with him; they can't pretend to be concerned normal people if he's off to the side calling black people apes and longing for a white ethnostate.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 13, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Puppy Time posted:

I'm pretty sure the less-chuddy SJW originated before that. Granted, it wasn't around very long before the chuds started stretching the meaning, because it originated in spaces of "Let's laugh at the weird people," which tends to be fairly chuddy if you don't work to drive them away.

It was a thing used to describe people who would aggressively argue half-baked progressive views online and reactive teenagers on tumbr and the dying era of LiveJournal in like 2009-2010. But it was also pretty much immediately used on everyone espousing anything left-of-center or talking about anything social justice-related. The first group provided a useful smokescreen for the second group for a few years until most of the internet caught on.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

site posted:

I was referring to Ethan is not a Nazi

I have no idea who David brothers is

David Brothers was hermanos, the mod of BSS before Waterhaul who was before X-O. He did some comics news blogging and still talks about comics on Twitter but I don't think he's formally involved in any news sites or publishing projects right now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ryonguy posted:

Tech is riddled with chuds, they just are a lot smarter than the average egg on twitter, so they simply do poo poo behind the scenes.

https://www.thestranger.com/news/2017/10/04/25451102/we-snuck-into-seattles-super-secret-white-nationalist-convention

The rear end in a top hat who got fired from Google is just the tip of the iceberg.

Twitter's CEO, Jack Dorsey, is pretty much the prototypical tech bro billionaire. He's a Buddhist who goes on crazy mediation retreats for days/weeks and comes back to tweet about how enlightening it was. When people point out what the Buddha said about the accumulation of excessive wealth, he just shrugs and ignores it. He reportedly had had Azelea Banks make a talisman out of his beard hair to protect against ISIS. He's also a Bitcoiner who spends $10k a week on it.

Twitter is basically doomed to be a nightmare under him.

Dawgstar posted:

Is there some sort of Twitter code I'm missing for <handle> followed by eight digits? I don't see it for CG so much, but it does crop up a lot with Vic Mignogna supporters.

Twitter will put a string of random numbers on the end of a suggested username if it's taken. Most people would put in the effort to make a more unique Twitter handle, but some people don't care/are bots and go with it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endless Mike posted:

Seriously, lol. Nuns with Guns do you just read softball interviews with him or something lmao?

Noooo? I'm saying he's an insufferable billionaire hypocrite who appropriates eastern philosophy for self-gratification while running a massive social media website filled with hate speech he refuses to curtail based on dumbass "concerned centrist" notions of free speech.

Did you read more of my post beyond the sentence site posted and think I want people to see him as anything besides a lunatic shithead?

site posted:

okay fair but lets split the difference at heavily quotationed """""""""christian/buddhist""""""""""" because those people are completely antithetical to the teachings of the religion and just use it for cover

That was my point, yeah. Every time someone goes "You know Buddha said these exact things you're doing right now are monstrous" he replies with some bullshit about how that's not "his interpretation".

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 4, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hey, on the plus side you get a funny Fargo-like accent

....Unless you live in Milwaukee like the RLM guys, then it's an awkward cross between Fargo and Chicago

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 5, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Puppy Time posted:

No, I'm just not sure what point you are trying to make by assigning "blame" to people doing terrible work for shitheads because otherwise their option is to be homeless.

Since Benghazi mentioned the article about Facebook moderators it seems like a good idea to link it here for an idea of what it's like to moderate reports on a massive social media website:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 6, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Blackface Lawyer has decided he needs to defend sexual abusers across nerd hobbies, by the way:

PST posted:

Apparently Frog God have hired the comicsgate lawyer to go after Webb's victim at PaizoCon for 'Tortuous interference'. Supposedly Stacy, Christopher Helton and Jessica Price are also being sued.

I did my semi-regular peek at what he alt-right gamer side are up to and this is getting discussed in both the comicsgate and gamergate bits of reddit/elsewhere, and of course (the same people) The RPG Site is feverishly masturbating over it and hoping they'll go after rpg.net as well.

From what I understand the ComicsGate suit has all sorts of problems, and tortious interference isn't an easy prove in the US, otherwise every company that's ever had a boycott against it would have gone after someone to shut them up.

The lawyer involved apparently loves appearing on comicsgate youtube interviews and being all smug and has spent the last year+ twisting the whole Meyer vs Waid lawsuit, so hopefully he'll get a dismissal there, as the nerd alt-right seem to regard him as their fantasy lawyer in the same way some people were talking up Avenatti.

Same lawyer is also representing Mignogna going after people who broke relations or talked about his history of sexual harassment so it looks to me as if tortious interference is the tactic. Presumably because it doesn't matter if they did abuse or harass anyone just if that interfered in a contract. Obviously none of the alt right seem to understand that the suits are specifically not saying that they're innocent.

Further to this the comicsgate mob are now claiming this is to do with the SJ Games thing, which is nonsense as this clearly predates it and is probably about Gary Con. As such going after Webb's victim, who's largely stayed quiet about it all seems particularly hosed up, likewise Price who did little beyond retweet and a few comments. But they really, really hate her, to a pretty scary degree. Contessa members did push for a boycott of Gary Con and re-raise Webb's shittyness, but (while not a lawyer in the US) I'm struggling to see how that makes the general bar for that, unless Texas has a very low one for Tortious Interference, which is why they want all their cases held there. And in this case, as far as I can tell, none of the accused, the plaintiff, or the events involved are in Texas, but that doesn't stop it being expensive for those being sued from having to pay lawyers to try and get it dismissed.

Bill Webb is an old fixture of D&D circles and was called out as a sex creep with a long history a few months ago. Jessica Price had a twitter thread in December about her experience with him:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1075848097064873984

It's long so it'd be better to click through to read it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

As a correction, Blackface Lawyer isn't Vic's lawyer. That's Ty Beard who started a trend amongst the Vic supporters because he tweeted "We'll be in touch" to Monica Rial and others. Ty Beard, despite having tried actual court cases unlike Nick, is on record as giving opposing counsel false documents and screwing the case up so bad he had to pay the OTHER SIDE's legal fees.

Re: Ty Beard, Jim E. Bullock, Brian Casper, Craig Daugherty and Don Harris, 12-15-00005-CV (Tex. App. 2015) if you want to see Beard be on the hook for 14K.

Oh, my bad. There's getting to be a ridiculous number of alt-right nuisance lawsuits going on at once...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The characters were aged up to "barely legal" levels and the only impact that really had on their designs (as far as I've seen it described) was the girls had bigger breasts.

The art was never drawn by her, but was done as an incentive tier on her patreon, so she did directly benefit from *wink nudge* aged up NSFW art of her teenage comic characters.

It's not illegal but it's a pretty weird and exploitative.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I mean sure, if you won't pollute your google searches I won't blame you.

Here's an archive of one of the call out posts with (censored but still :nws:) examples of the art:

http://archive.is/w1T8D

The art in these is the "aged up" versions of the characters. If I remember right, the first image was something the creator herself did as a pinup of one of the characters at 19 years old. The later images are her colorist who maintains the 18+ tier.

At the time, the comic's creator put out a $500.00 bounty for the IP address and other personal info of a group of people who leaked the images above. One of the people she had the bounty on posted the context of the tweet and email chain that the artist called harassing/stalking, too:

http://archive.is/WsCZL

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 21, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Skwirl posted:

The web comic that was basically "what if Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes swore"? It always had a libertarian bent so going into a right wing tailspin isn't super surprising.

It's way weirder than that.

It started a pretty aggressive second wave feminism tailspin like a decade ago and started dropping SWERF-y (sex worker exclusionary rad feminist) takes left and right. For the past few months it's gotten aggressively TERF-y (trans exclusionary rad feminist) to the point that the creator shut down his old forums once posters there realized what he was doing, and he made a new forum where discussion of that is banned.

The comic itself is pretty much just incoherent reiterations of fringe and exclusionary feminist theories now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pierson posted:

Was it that guy or Scott Kurtz who was obsessed with getting syndication back when webcomics were still absolutely not a stable career and getting into a newspaper was the golden path? Maybe that broke his brain.

Scott Kurtz. He's was super concerned with getting approval from syndicated cartoonists for a long time. He had a realization that they were stodgy old-timers at some point though and seems at peace with it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't think needs to be talked about here, but the comicsgaters have rallied to it as the hot cause so discussion here was inevitable. Evidence of his sex creepery is going to follow the same way it would with any other outing of a sex creep in any industry today.

A clearer warning of that kind of content is always nice, but the whole topic of the thread seems like an explicit content warning for every kind of scumbaggery you'd expect out of hateful, predatory nerds.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I also thought of detective chimp, but he's an ape, the major difference is if they have a prehensile tail or not.

Not necessarily. Old World monkeys in general don't have prehensile tails (and some have no tails), only New World species do. There's only five species of apes: humans, gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees, and gibbons. The first four are classified as "great apes" while gibbons are "lesser apes".

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Puppy Time posted:

I'd say humans are "okay apes" at best

Humans are passable. However...

HMS Beagle posted:

Also bonobos, the chimpanzees that gently caress..

I wasn't specifying different subspecies, but if I were I'd say the greatest ape is the Westen Hoolock Gibbon, science be damned

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oasx posted:

The american trend of naming your child one thing, but then calling them another is so weird.

You should google all the nicknames for Robert some time, it's totally wild. I think one of them might have even been a British.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

Whose Iron Spike? Is that Koala?

Edit: Wait, this is a professional comic creator.

She is an indie comics publisher, yes. She also used to make a webcomic called Templar, Arizona back when SA was the hot webcomic hangout, so she probably still browses SA sometimes on her old account.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Space Fish posted:

Where are her tweets where she takes any/all references to Jews in Attack On Titan way out of proportion/context?

You mean where the people with the same bloodline-potential to mutate into titans that the island folk have are also on the mainland, which has 1930/40s Europe-level tech and fashion, and are kept in a ghetto where they're forced to wear armbands that ID them as dangerous descendants of a people who used to rule the world? And some try to avoid that by hiding in plain sight and hoping nobody discovers their heritage?

Because I remember her being shocked it went that far but only over a few tweets at most.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Space Fish posted:

On one hand, I can see how those images/references are shocking on their own, and if her issue's with the references being used at all ("SO ARMBANDS AND EVERYTHING, HUH OKAY") I respect her taste.

On the other hand, the manga consistently presents themes of "don't judge people by their ancestry" and "saving your loved ones is a million times more justified than blindly following orders," and her AOT reactions sticking in my memory this many months later is more a result of how much traction her reaction drew and less about her specifically.

I guess the '"AOT is anti-Semitic and the creator's a Nazi" sentiment was bubbling in my social media bubble and Spike's reaction and resulting threads ("I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS EXPECTING TBH BUT "TITANS ARE JEWS" WAS NOT IT") zoomed in on a lot of that and challenged what seemed to be a morally respectable story to me.

I got worked up about my anti-Nazi fairytale being called pro-Nazi!

I haven't watched or read enough of AoT to gauge how well it comes off as pro or anti fascist, but I did see a lot of people jumping off of her comments with more direct takes on the recent chapters that were out at the time.

Pigbuster posted:

Isn't the part of the titans killing everyone and ruling the world just a fantasy-nazi lie?

As far as I remember, the titans, or at least the ones with special powers that people can shapeshift in and out of, all came out of one progenitor queen who unlocked the power. Most of the special titan powers can pass on to anyone, but the founding titan still seems to require ties to the royal bloodline to be controllable. The level of cruelty under the titan nobility is what seems to be in flux depending on whose propaganda is spouting off about it.

Edmund Lava posted:

The whole ghetto allusions were really ham handed, but calling it Nazi propaganda requires a really obtuse reading.

The Jewish ghetto stuff was too explicit not to be intended, for sure. People will be arguing for... probably the rest of the time the internet exists whether it's antisemitic and perpetuating Nazi propaganda or not though.

Lurdiak posted:

The actual fascist anime is Goblin Slayer.

Warning: lotta rape in there

Ah, and once again it all cycles back to isekai...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Deadpool is my waifu

Speaking of lawsuits, is Mark Waid still fighting one off?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

The last report I got was that Mark said, quote, "the publisher's deposition obliterated the plaintiff's claims." And it must be going well for Mark because you'd think Nick would drunkenly ramble about it on stream if it weren't.

Oh that's good to hear. I figured we weren't getting much news because both sides had semi-competent lawyers who knew when to shut up, but I was worried having semi-competent lawyers might make it harder to throw the whole case out.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jedit posted:

Unrelated to the current thread of discussion, perhaps, but he really did a Sinestro comic called Mein Kampf?

He named the first volume of his personal published sketchbook "My Struggle" and put Sinestro on the cover

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Waging an eternal war against my comicsgate thread enemies

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, she has these weird diamond patterns around her eyes for reasons on Ditko himself could know.

I guess you could say she was drawn most conventionally when she was the nanny for Jessica and Luke's kid, but even there she's never been like Psylocke or somebody.

The only real difference in how Squirrel Girl is depicted nowadays is that sometimes artists draw her a bit thicker now because Erica Henderson was going for a realistically-proportioned body on the athletic squirrel-powered superhuman. Even still, there's plenty of artists that plug along drawing her with the same supermodel physique most women get, and well nobody draws her like this anymore even though it'd be truer to her ~origins~.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Taking Kitty not constantly wearing a Star of David necklace as trying to downplay her Jewishness is dumb, but she should definitely be eating deep dish pizza more often and this is a tragic erasure of her heritage.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, then I guess they should have a few panels of her eating terrible pizza every so often. I just assume all the Claremont X-Men not from a different continent are from New York.

It's actually pretty clever because Deerfield is a suburb with a large Jewish population, but not an obvious Jewish suburb like Skokie. Touché, Claremont, touché.

Uthor posted:

She needs to be yelling about ketchup on hotdogs at every cookout. :colbert:

I know Marvel has to keep the sliding timescale in mind and all, but if they slipped in a bit about Kitty heading off to space adventures right around the start of football season, only to come back months later to learn about the very rapid decline of The Bears while she was gone, it would be a story beat that stays relevant for decades to come.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oh, we're going to get fancy and slip accents in all Claremont-like are we? Well on top of that, one night Cap'n Kate treats the crew to a drunken display of the Superbowl Shuffle before passing out on the deck.

(I'll stop with the Chicago jokes now unless I think of more)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

You know after all the poo poo about Geoff Johns came out and you start side eyeing the rest of the senior staff and all the bullshit that was pulled under their watch it's kind of refreshing to see someone drop the act and just gleefully confirm your suspicions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gripweed posted:

What if his explanation was "because it's cool and good and I like it"?

I suppose it would depend on what he liked about it.