Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Predatory behavior doesn't happen because predators are super sexy, it happens when people with power leverage it over people without power, in direct or indirect ways. It happens when people know that they have status or professional privileges that allow them to get away with things they otherwise couldn't-- either from people looking the other way, enforcing a culture of silence, or just not giving a poo poo. This is especially prevalent and pernicious in industries where the line between fan and pro is permeable and blurry-- when getting a big break means having ties with established people and the fostering of new talent is predicated on mentorships that are often unofficial and poorly documented/held to vague standards of accountability. It makes it very very very easy for people with bad intention to groom naive younger people that may be convinced that if they speak out or say no they'll be throwing their career away.

It's something I saw over and over again in academia and in poetry culture and it breaks my heart to see again in comics. It's really not something to joke about.

I would hope by now everyone is aware the specific industry doesn't matter anywhere those power structures exist there exist abusers at some level. Kind of the core issue with male dominated industries; people say just hire more women/minorities but the missing context is they have to play by the institutional "bro code" or they get tossed in favor of the next capable person and so on.

Even for non sexual assault stuff 99% of the time its "Well I saw/dealt with worse when I came up you should be able to deal with this" so for all kinds of horrible behavior and verbal abuse you either accept it or they bounce you for not fitting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah. After I quit drinking I began to notice how much of the networking at professional conferences and stuff I went to was explicitly oriented around people doing high-pressure and stressful stuff at weird hours and then immediately being expected to go and get drunk with strangers holding institutional power over them. Individual abusers are absolutely unquestionably responsible for their own bad behavior but American professionalism is also 100% structured in such a way as to facilitate predatory behavior.

The Natural Products Expo West is referred to as Expo Sex because its mostly just people getting drunk and loving the whole time; all the serious business connections and deals are done at Expo East in Germany.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Yeah whisper networks are real things but they exist in the form of marginalized people working to protect marginalized people in fields and give them support and resources to help them stay in the field, not to get the people running these groups in trouble/fired. More often than not they're small things, like private conversations of "So&So is trouble and you should stay away from him" or shared commiseration to help victims remember they're not alone, with some receipts and information saved in case poo poo goes down and it's actually time to stand up to someone.

This being the thing when an abuser is outed a lot of people come out to say they'd been warned about X in the past?

I see it happening a lot with the gaming community. Being more tech focused in general leads to a lot of avenues of communication for people to try to get the word out without torpedoing their career & reputation to try and protect newcomers to the industry.

Alec Holowaka was a big one last year because Zoe Quinn was involved, but multiple female game developers said they were openly told when they arrived at conventions/gatherings to avoid being alone in a room with Alec because his prestige and influence was enough that everyone had to pretend and play nice if they wanted to stay in the industry circles.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 15, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lifg posted:

Yeah, 100% of that controversy was on the editors who choose him.

Was it that one or the "catwomen bent over licking milk out of a bowl" that they claimed was actually an artist homage to some classic pin up art of earlier decades?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Honestly there's no good reason for someone 30+ to be forming relationships with anyone under the age of 21(at a minimum), and every time I see it come up, even in the context of 'technically legal' it raises massive red flags. In the fandom communities over the last several years, from youtubers, to video games, etc. it's coming out how so many of the toxic abuse stories start with someone 18 or even younger and a person with a decade+ on them usually exploiting their youth or naivete, insisting that "this is just how adults are" to defend gaslighting and lovely treatment.

With the whole room/apartment I'm not too big on keeping my space super clean and organized, but if someone did that poo poo to me I'd be restraining myself from putting their head through a wall because I didn't ask for it and I don't want someone rooting all through my personal belongings. That's even without a history of being snooped on by my family. It's one of those dumb romcom gestures that makes people look good absent context but is an amazingly useful tool for abusers.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 5, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

E the Shaggy posted:

When you're buying a box to own the libs to hold one comic book that came out two years ago:

https://twitter.com/chloehandler/status/1423042691273826305?s=20

Per person break down

$132

$192.

Like, gently caress fleece these people from their money as hard as you can, because they will probably spend themselves into homelessness in order to "own" a metaphorical concept.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Both in real life and within the text of Fable yes. There’s some monologue by, I wanna say the Big Bad Wolf, about how good and strong Israel is and how their actions are right and justified.

Yeah, specially mentions Israel by name to the evil overlord and promises to do exactly the same against him, making the enemy pay grievously for any attack, complains that the pissers and moaners whine about it, but plucky Israel has a ton of iron and grit.

This is a quote from 2007 from the Fables writer

quote:

The Israel analogy, probably at the time I was writing that, I thought it would be controversial, because just the mention of Israel in any context is a hot-button issue. But once again, I thought even the people upset that that analogy was used understood the analogy. Bigby made his point of the little guy with vast forces arrayed against him. Some wackos online who don’t sign their name to what they write have said that I’m a mouthpiece for Israeli propaganda, and things like that. A paid mouthpiece, which would be wonderful. I haven’t gotten any pay yet, but if any of my Israeli commanders are listening, the checks arriving would be a nice thing. So, yeah, the controversy on that didn’t surprise me, the Israel thing. A little more heated than I expected, but then most things are.

You’ve said in the past interviews that you’re unequivocally pro-Israel. Do you think of Fables as communicating a political message, or as being persuasive in any way?

No, I actually thought that that would be the best example in politics today to use as an example. Maybe my fondness for Israel helped in deciding that that was a good example to use, but no, Fables is not didactic in any way. At least, not intentionally. I don’t expect people to read that issue, bop themselves in the head, and say, “Oh my God, I’ve been so stupid about my politics in Middle Eastern affairs. I’m going to change my tune right now, because, Bigby would want me to.” I don’t expect anything like that, and I wouldn’t put that line in almost any other character’s mouth, just because I couldn’t imagine other characters thinking along those lines. Whereas Bigby was a guy who we’ve already established that historically, he went to war several times, and was involved in World War I and II. He would be the type of character who would think along those lines.

you'd think a character who served in two world wars would have strong opinions about war crimes against civilians, but here we are.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Let’s not forget he has a character who gains power by murdering babies fund abortion clinics so she can remain powerful

I always thought that was more "super hosed up Grimm fairy tale translated to modern life" like how Prince Charming comes off as a borderline rapist.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Isn't the original quote "by Odin' beard"? Unless I'm completely and 100% unaware of some racial issues I believe black people can also grow beards.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I took a look at the book he's shilling and lol

Also it's at about $160k with only around 1300 backers so I'm thinking money laundering?

The other fundraised projects have a similar insanely high per user average.

The two cyberfrog ones were $132 and $192.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

The funny part is he's half right. KS and IGG in no way guarantee you'll get anything. That said, you're definitely not an investor, either, as the best return you can get is the "perk." You're in no way entitled to any portion of the work or product that comes out of a crowdfunding campaign.

Has there ever been a successful attempt to claw back money from a failed crowdfund? The only one I can think of is the actual crime one, like the couple and the homeless guy who staged a viral video and raised a bunch of money before getting caught.